Thread: Safe Floor?

Liked: 2

Default Safe Floor?

I recently made a foam seat in my CF. The seat sits directly on the sheet metal which is riveted to the frame. This doesn't seem like a lot of protection from a rock going up my --- in the event I leave the pavement. I was thinking of putting a layer of fiberglass under the seat. Curious to know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Dave

Liked: 11

Seems to me that if you hit something hard enough to puncture your floor it would continue through fiberglass which would send thousands of shards into your --- along with the puncturing object.

Perhaps a double layer of aluminum would be a better choice- you could epoxy it to the floor (on the top/inside of course).
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 3

Sean's idea is basically what Lindstrand Motorsports is recommending to their customers after seeing a few cars where the floor peeled back in an incident, leaving the driver's legs exposed. A "superfloor" on top of the frame tubes would give you another layer of protection.

Seems to me that it wouldn't even need to be glued to the frame like the underfloor would. Maybe just rivets?

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar

Default double bottom

Good Idea Carnut but to make it better I would bend the edges up at a 90 deg. angle and rivet the vertical edges to the lower frame tubes. This is another reason I keep the "1/4 jabroc panel on the bottom of my car.

Liked: 5

I went off at Willow Springs last year, and was amazed at how the rocks opened up the belly pan like it was made from paper. Two particularly disconcerting tears were 1) between my feet; 2) directly beneath the fuel cell. Fortunately, no harm, no foul. I'm saying thicker is better.
    Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.

I think I'll try Carnut's idea and put another sheet of aluminum down there, bent it around the frame, then rivet....

Thanks for the input.....

Dave

Thread Information