Liked: 24

Default New FF2000 Series

There is a new series running the latest FC rules in the North East. Check http://www.eformulacarnews.com/ for the details.

Liked: 0

Default Hmmmm. Interesting.

I have been out of touch too long!!

This looks very interesting. I can't wait to hear more about it.
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

For immediate release

F2000 CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES ANNOUNCED

SHARON, CONN. (November 23, 2005) - Seeking to fill a void in the entry-level, single-seat racing community, the formation of F2000 Championship Series has been announced by Series Director Michael Rand along with series principals Alan D Guibord and Robert Wright.

Created for Formula Continental drivers currently competing in both amateur and professional events, the F2000 Championship Series will feature both Pinto and Zetec powered F2000 cars. Utilizing the SCCA Club Racing GCR (General Competition Rules), the series will use a soon to be announced spec racing tire and spec track fuel. Providing technical support, GTP Motorsports will attend every event, as the official series parts supplier.

"I truly believe the F2000 Championship Series fills a void in racing,” said Rand. “Initially I was skeptical about the concept, but the more I became involved, the more I realized it is not only viable, but needed. With the Zetec engine now accepted in restricted spec form into Formula Continental SCCA Club Racing, the F2000 Championship Series will provide Pinto and Zetec powered drivers the opportunity to experience cost-effective pro racing on a level playing field.”

Commencing in May, the season will consist of six doubleheader race weekends. Based in the Eastern United States, the 2006 schedule tentatively includes races at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama, Summit Point Motorsports Park in West Virginia, Watkins Glen International located in upstate New York, Lime Rock Park in Connecticut and Virginia International Raceway.

Series registration will cost $500, with the entry fee for the doubleheader weekends set at $775. Paying back to 10th place, each race will have a purse of over $6,000 up for grabs.

All potential series participates are requested to contact the series office for more detailed information. Please contact Mike Rand with the F2000 Championship Series at (860) 364-5252, michaelrand@sbcglobal.net or via fax at (860) 364-9362.

- 30 -

Link to questionnaire and letter of interest pdf file
    http://www.ekartingnews.com/~docs/f2000.pdf
    Allan Craighead
    eFormulaCarNews.com Managing Editor
    (226) 808-9472 Cell
    acraighead@howdenmediagroup.com

Liked: 75

Seems like a good idea,but one thing I dont understand is why they dont adopt west coast rules. I am sure they have there reasons.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default West coast rules.

Brad. I think by using the "New" SCCA rules anyone can enter with a car meeting the "New" SCCA rules and not have to change anything from SCCA club configuration?

Liked: 3787

Sort of aligns a pro series with the club rules... just like the 'good 'ol days' before the zetec change.
    Argument being, pro cars can age down into the club ranks, etc. More venues to race one configuration.

I thought in West Coast Series the Pinto cars run in SCCA configuration with 6" and 8" wheels. I might be wrong.

Liked: 19

Hey Brad!
    Good to see you joined the rest of us who just surf the web all day...........Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

I could be wrong (I don't really remember what I was told.... ) - but this new deal is pretty much based on the west coast deal....

My understanding was that the 'West Coast Rules' cars would not be legal within the new GCR rule for zetec in FC. West Coast Rules zetec cars would still have to run in FA if they entered SCCA events. This NE Pro Series by sticking to the GCR allows a zetec car (configured to the new GCR zetec FC spec) to run in their pro series and as a FC in an SCCA regional or national.

I agree with you Brad and that was my understanding of how the west coast series worked but, from what I hear, they believe they can draw more bodies only running 6 and 8's and having only club spec FC's and not mixing in equalized Pro-spec Zetec's.
    F2000, Formula F, Formula Atlantic series photographer
    http://www.kniffinphoto.com
    teamkniffin@yahoo.com

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Equalized Pro Spec Zetec's will absolutely be welcome. What we don't know quite yet is wheel/tire requirements. Stand by, hopefully we will know before Christmas.
    Doug, you and your gang are more than welcome, even Puderman!

I already told Alan that ,we which is now a handful of pro spec Zetecs at this point, will be there for local races if we aren't at Pro Zetec races and the schedule works out but I have the distinct impression that our cars will be at a significant dissadvantage based on how the rules have been explained to me and that is a bit of a turn off for me.

For the record, don't construe this as not supporting your series. I think it is an awesome idea and should be hugely successful. I just prefer the Zetec formula to the FC formula right now and your program seems to make competing with anything close to a Pro Zetec difficult.
    teamkniffin@yahoo.com

Doug, I would say, look at the Pacific F2000 Series, that is in fact our business and rules model. Not exactly, admittedly, but very close. No Pinto won a Pacific race though without question a well prepared and driven Pinto can and will be competitive. No one car/engine combination has any clear advantage on every track in the series. It should be great competition for all entrants.

Two points...assuming you draw the basic Northeast FC field I don't think you could consider the west coast guys a fair comparison in terms of the formula. Its pretty clear to everyone that the fastest FC drivers come out of the Northeast and Central Division. A fast Northeast driver is going to do very well against a detuned big wheel Zetec as I understand the West Coast series formula. I think using their FC results against the converted car isn't a fair evaluation of what will happen in the Northeast.

Second.. I haven't seen your rules but, my conversation with Alan yesterday left me thinking there was no formula for the Pro-Spec Zetec other than to throw small wheels on it and detune it which will leave the car being destroyed by a fully tweaked FC.
    teamkniffin@yahoo.com

with all due respect,it would seem we are creating a I.R.L. Champ Car Scenerio.Nearly all the pinto powered cars that attended Cooper Series Events ended up buying Zetec Spec Cars.I am not sure what is being accomplished by creating another series. We charge about the same entry fee yet we run a high profile events drawing the best drivers in the world,not to mention the technical staff,timing.etc.which attends each race. I have heard many drivers say to me that a top 10 finish in the Cooper Series is quite an accomplisment.Also we have a thought out rules package which allows a average team to run talented drivers and be competetive.I understand that some people with Zetecs like to run nationals.I say to these folks buy different wheels and an E.C.U.I believe we pay prize money as well.You must also consider the increase in the value of a Zetec car over the last year,without the presence of the Cooper Series these cars will drop in value. Jon Baytos is the smartest person in this country in my opinion on decisions about motorsports. You may have your dissagreements with Jon but he usally makes the right decisions on the technical aspects of the sport. I don't think that many top drivers in the country would call him and ask for his advice if this was not the case. I would think about the ramifications about 2 pro series.You might find it a mistake.
    Thanks Brad

Liked: 14

Have to admit i dont see the need for yet another series. I kinds of understand the west coast deal. Zetec owners not wanting to make the mostly east coast pro series races and pinto owners not wanting to drive cross country for runoffs but want high level racing.

However why an east coast suedo pro series ? Zetec guys should run the zetec pro series. thats what it is there for and actually runs on pro event weekends. Not sure what races the new east series is planning on being part of but i see Summit Point on the schedule and there hasnt been a pro event a SP in nearly 2 decades.

The zetec was brought into scca as a way of improving car counts. Now we say bring those restricted zetcs and your pintos and race with us over here. There is only a finite amount of money people are going to spend racing. We need less events not more.

If you want to run for money in semi pro style why not do it the way Mazda did. Pick show case races at SCCA events and make those the " pro " rounds. That will actually build entries instead of dividing it even more then it already is.

Have a seperate tech for series cars and mark series competitors tires on grid to force the 1 set per weekend you want. That way everyone can keep the tires and setup they currently run.

I wuold happily tow to run events that were run in conjuction with current scca weekeds. More cars to race and still able to count the results towards runoffs points. Stand alone races with yet another type of tire, i doubt it.

Kevin
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Anyone interested in this new series will find an attachment of information and a place for suggestions as well as an opportunity to express your interest.

Brad, we in no way see this series as an IRL vs Champ Car scenario, rather a symbiotic relationship with the Cooper Series, exactly like Les Phillips Pacific F2000 Series has been. In fact, we are talking with Les about how best to coordinate our efforts.
    We have every expectation of not scheduling opposite Cooper dates, we just wish we knew your schedule so we can accomplish that.
    But what changed betwwen your first post of "it sounds like a good idea" to your most recent post ? Curious....

As to concerns regarding competitiveness of restricted Pro Zetec cars, we have the ability to institute competition adjustments as needed to keep the playing field as level as possible. Will the equality be perfect right out of the box ? Unlikely. Will we respond appropriately ? We intend to.
    Last edited by Michael Rand; 06.29.07 at 5:35 PM.

[size=2]Sorry, I don't want to portray any negative aspects to what you are trying to do.It is very hard to plan races at some of these events,which can delay releasing our schedule.Jon Baytos can give you a better idea of what schedule he is looking at.[/size]
    [size=2]Thanks Brad[/size]

Just curious... Why did Jon make that post out on Apexspeed a few days ago implying there may be a different engine package for '07? There wasn't any smiley faces associated with it, so folks didn't know how serious he was. Was that just a joke? I know it set a lot of guys to rethinking their positions.
    Guys that owned zetecs were wondering, and guys thinking of moving to zetec were wondering. I think it caused a bit of uneasiness.

Liked: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand
    No Pinto won a Pacific race though without question a well prepared and driven Pinto can and will be competitive.
    I think Jessie Yorio (sorry spelling?) won a Pacific race in a pinto car early in the year...

AND..I think Doug's right about northeast FC drivers in general (most of them had to chase Mike A for years...). I'm for sure interested in seeing the competition level....... No doubt will give a few events a "go"

I think this can only help non restricted pro zetec - once these guys are ready to take the training wheels off - maybe they will come play with the big boys....

Yea - what happened on that engine post..... Nobody thinks the Kia deal is in the works!!??

Liked: 31

Mike/Bob/Al,
    Firstly thanks for taking the time and effort to take the idea this far. I have printed off the letter of intent, made a couple of minor suggestions (come to Mosport!!!) and will be faxing back my support today.
    I appreciate the Pro Zetec series and would have run it in 06 but was told that there would be no Pinto class. It was also mentioned that there would likely be some significant travel this year (possible west coast races, which for a working stiff like me who tows his own car takes it out of my price/vacation day range, so selling my Pinto & buying a Zetec wasn't personally worth it this year. That is fine, I respect what Brad/Jon are doing for the Zetec class, the way they are putting talented young drivers in front of a large audience, arranging for some spectacular venues/dates for guys who have not had the opportunity to attend these types of meetings in the past and I wish them and the Pro Series all the best.
    I think however that what the 3 guys above have done is looked to fill a gap for multiple drivers.... e.g. ALL those who own a Pinto (regional/national/05 Pro) and don't have Topeka run off target, those drivers with a Zetec that want to run in the SCCA, those Zetec owners who want to chase a championship but realise they can't match a pro series travel schedule as well as those drivers who maybe only run in their region but want to go up against a good grid of cars when this series comes to their area.

There may be some fall off with the Zetec owners deciding to do this series as opposed to the Pro one, but the west coast series has shown it can be a success and if the pro series doesn't want the Pinto's any more then it is a little unreasonable for them to be negative on a series that is being created to give them a home & encourage broader competition with the "new SCCA Continentals".

Now got to run, I have a fax to send.
    Brent

Douglas Brenner

Default Is that right!

[QUOTE=Douglas Kniffin]Two points...assuming you draw the basic Northeast FC field I don't think you could consider the west coast guys a fair comparison in terms of the formula. Its pretty clear to everyone that the fastest FC drivers come out of the Northeast and Central Division.

Come on down!! Maybe you guys look good because we have to tow three or four days to racetracks that you run all the time. Also, there is a West Coast series because the other one is primarily in your neighborhood. Come to Sears Point and lets see how superior you are. Come on down to Willow Springs where we average 113 mph but without cruising down a bunch of straights like Elkhart, and all the sand runoffs are natural. We are getting more guys in the class and would love to see you guys here for a "fair" comprison..............................

As far as the proposed series is concerned, I like the idea. I raced in the Continental FB series in the early 70' (won consistantly, I might add, by west coast drivers) and I could just take my FB car from the local National race to the pro race with no mods. I was out of racing for a while and one of the things that shocked me when I returned was the fact that the pro series were all back east and the rules were different than club racing. Any new series is iffy, but I hope there will be a trend towards common rules between club and pro. Then maybe pro racing wouldn't just be a bunch of rich kids running into each other.

www.brennerfabrication.com
    Last edited by Douglas Brenner; 11.24.05 at 2:24 PM.

Default Yep,come on down!

FC has never been a big entry class out here and that is a shame. I ran the F2000 Pro series in 1991-92 and we had great competition with many "West coast" drivers involved. When The F2000 Pro Series became a primarily east coast venue the class almost went away around here. NOW we have some young guns (AND some MATURE GUNS-see above) who are reinvigorating the class! I think Les Phillips "West Coast" pro series was the right thing to do and it helped prove that a Pinto powered FC can run with a restricted Zetec. FC drivers out here may be less PLENTYFUL but are no less TALENTED.

Default Gold cup class

Will there be a gold cup class next year in the Cooperseries????. If the pinto's can run next year in the gold cup then adding another pinto pro series will only reduce the car counts at both. I propose that Jon and Brad work with the proposed new series or vice versa. This is the only way to ensure good car counts . Why wouldn't the current national drivers want to run the gold cup with the cooperseries venues??? I too was told that the gold cup might not exist next year if this is the case I will surely run the new f2000 championship.

Jon please set us straight will the gold cup exsist next year or not. BTW . The gold cup as it existed last year was fantastic the only problem I saw was consistent car count.

BB

Default To Doug Brenner

Well, that's just great Brenner, you've likely done it now!

Don't. ever, ever knock Road America!

The Spirirt of God Oden rests there over the winter, and if you have awaken him with your wicked tone, we in these parts are likely to suffer from a winter the likes of which none have seen before.

And you, poor soul, are destined to succumb to a brat.

So, tonight, as the Coyote howl, turn to the North Star, and pray to Oden for his forgiveness of your mockery.

Douglas Brenner

Default Will Do!!

Quote Originally Posted by MGBystrom
    Well, that's just great Brenner, you've likely done it now!

Don't. ever, ever knock Road America!

The Spirirt of God Oden rests there over the winter, and if you have awaken him with your wicked tone, we in these parts are likely to suffer from a winter the likes of which none have seen before.

And you, poor soul, are destined to succumb to a brat.

So, tonight, as the Coyote howl, turn to the North Star, and pray to Oden for his forgiveness of your mockery.
    I am totally repentant and will do that tonight!! I think Oden is probably resting on the straightaways! The only thing you are likely to awaken at Willow Springs is a snake or two.
    I do miss the Brats at Road America, and when I miss it I look at my official Cliff Tufty Road America trash can........
    Last edited by Douglas Brenner; 01.16.07 at 5:23 PM.

Greg Mercurio

Ummm...boyz? Lest you tempt the Gods, it's spelled Odin.

[size=2]"Odin: The chief divinity of the Norse pantheon, the foremost of the Aesir. Odin is a son of Bor and Bestla."[/size]
    [size=2][/size]
    [size=2]Hurl your taunts as you wish, however spellers are an affront to the huddled masses. ;~)[/size]

Default I'm impressed.

Gee greg for an Italian you get around!

Liked: 359

Ahem!

Quote Originally Posted by D.T. Benner
    Gee greg for an Italian you get around!
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Default Oops..

How NON PC of me! Gee,Greg How worldly you are!

Liked: 1

The earlier post about the engine change in the Cooper F2000 series, from the promoter?? is strange to say the least.... here say is for us not the one making the rules?

This kind of thing opens the door for an IRL vs. CART kind of thing, was not it an engine problem that allowed the IRL to kick in the door and sway the likes of Penske and Chip to join up?
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Thread Information