Liked: 502

Default Reynard 90H project on E-Bay

Item number 4587727888. Not bad, but looks like a WHOLE lotta work!

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1490

There was a guy looking for cars to put on the wall of a restraunt - perfect choice!

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default 90h

I had one of these in 94 and at that time the Gearbox was worth more than $10,000! Seems that Reynard made the casting and Hewland made the gears. With F-3 using a similar car and guys breaking the castings people were trying to buy my car to get the gearbox! The gearbox came in Mag or Aluminum and I had one of each! The aluminum one was heavier but stronger and was more valuable. When I figured what it would cost to race the car I sold it and went back to something more reasonable. So close but so far away! The x brace over the engine bay and the big aluminum brace on top of the oil tank/gearbox looks interesting? If anyone is looking for a Reynard Atlantic get a 93H as they had bigger tunnels and more downforce. Randy Cook here in Northern California does quite well in a 93H!

Liked: 126

That sure is a funky front pushrod system. Was it any good? Was the car as stiff or stiffer than the same period DB4? If I buy this, does anyone want the transaxle? I'll put a Hayabusa in it.

Liked: 1

It looks like there is over 10k worth of stuff for sale?? Maybe a good deal.
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Contributing Member quartzracer's Avatar
    Liked: 5

Default 90h

Spares are great if you have a car to use them on, however if someone is buying this car to race that may be a different deal. Charles Warner knows alot about these cars perhaps he will chime in. If the tub on the car is sound at least you have a good base, if its bad well....goodluck. Fellows had a major shunt in his car and I remeber the tub sustaining major damage. Another fellow to talk to would be Dennis Eade who ran the factory cars in that time period. The floor modification was popular with this model.

Default reynard

wasn't there a problem with the A-arm mounts pulling out of the tub? i thought i remember something about that, also i never understood why reynard made there own casses for the transmissions. they did it with the FC2000 also. i guess it gave them some good income from people having to buy from them
    Chris Lorenz
    the car would be a fun project with MC power

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

This car looks to be a good project, However, if you are planning to put it on the track as a full-up atlantic you can look to spend as much as $25k (including motor) before you turn a wheel. There was no problem (as far as I've ever heard or experienced) with the A arms pulling out of the tub. The exact same mountings and fixtures are used on my F3000 Reynard. The gearbox issue was one of wearing out a CWP (pro events) as the mag box was not strong enough and the side loads created by the shock mounts tended to expand the gearbox's dimenions and screwed up the installation specs on the CWP. Partial fix was to switch to the ally box. The mag boxes seemed OK in Club applications. Real fix was to install a new CWP every two years without fail. Takes a unique (F3A/NST) CWP and first gear (available from Craig). Rest of the gears are Mk 5. Car is one of the bigger ones internally with a lot of hip room. With a roll bar extension (easy to do) it will accomodate a 6'3" bubba. Aerodynamically pretty good, easy to work on after you figure out the idiosyncrasies. Requires some sort of additional engine upper braces - looks like this one has its own version. The original floor was indeed ally and most have had the entire floor replaced with carbon. If it is delaminating then it should be done again. Mike Demsky (near Portland) is the absolute guru on these cars and I believe he has a good parts supply. He can supply the carbon floor sections. Dennis Eade is also most knowledgeable but he'll tell you to piss off as he hates these cars. He was a founder of the XFR - an extremely highly modified 1989/90H Reynard (with Greg Sorrentino I believe) and Tony Ave driving. (Look at the name and try to imagine what X F R really stands for.)

I doubt there is a market for any of the parts. Wheels are unique, gearbox is also (I have a spare if anyone wants one cheap), brakes are common. Car has nice tunnels and might make a reasonable CSR mule. As far as stuffing a motorcycle engine in it, I guess I just don't grasp the idea or get the attraction to FS. I vote to keep it as an atlantic.

I would recommend this for someone who wants to take about a year or more and completely rebuild the car from the tub up learning a lot along the way, stick a good BDD in it with updated engine mountings (very easy to do as there is a lot of room to play with) and go race FA. If anyone needs further info or has any specific questions, go ahead and ask.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Doesn't really matter now I guess - it just sold. Thanks for everyones comments. Any DB4 sliders or rollers around?

Contributing Member

I purchased this car. I have been racing bikes for two years, bought a SCCA EP Miata this year, considered SCCA, and decided it wasn't for me. I love race tracks, and race car technology. I am building a Hayabusa powered track car that could take an occasional street jaunt. I want something that I can drive legally without a whole weekend commitment. It will be similar to a radical, but I prefer a front engine longitudinal layout with my own body design. I have had a difficult time finding components like uprights, rocker arm suspension components, etc. I am not connected in the circles you all are. Stripping this car would save me thousands in individual components, but it would mean stripping the rest of this car and leaving (selling) the tub and transaxle. Is there a better way to get similar components for the same money or less and leaving this car intact? Is the car worth leaving intact? Are the wings and tub worth anything? Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Kyle

Default reynard

Kyle
    There is a better way to build a street/track car. Selling the reynard as close as posible to a roller would get the most money. there are not a lot of them out there still running so it may be hard to sell what is left over. If i was to build a street/track car i would buy off the self stock car part (uprights, a-arms, etc.) or use steet car parts like the Sports toyota did as it used alot of MR2 parts.
    Chris Lorenz

Contributing Member

I should have been more clear. I have been targetting 1000 lbs. Stock car stuff is too heavy. I have considered Miata stuff, and even that has cast iron uprights. I want racing quality and weight. I can buy nice Wilwood or Brembo calipers, rotors, shocks, master cylinders, etc. But the price of buying this stuff individually will get of control. Oil coolers, AN fittings, rod ends, guages, that stuff is fun to buy, but thousands can go buy and you have little to show for it. And where do you buy racing uprights and suspension rocker arms off the shelf? I've been looking for a FF roller for years, and they bring almost this much money. This car has great components, and there seems to be some question here if it is worth bringing back. Even if I don't sell any of the parts, it still gets me parts that are years ahead of street car stuff, lighter, and more unique. I don't want to build a typical kit/donor car. But if there is a FF or FC out there that has less value but still has the unique open wheel type stuff I need, that would be fine. Could I freshen this car up carefully and turn it around for more? What would you do with it? Thanks for the reply. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts.

Kyle Verploegen

Liked: 309

My wife was greatly relieved when you bought it, Kyle!

Charlie, I was wondering about that 'box. Hoping maybe it was an FT-200.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Kyle,

No problem from my end, and it makes sense. I too have wanted to build a decent car, but the components are too much money. If I had bought this Reynard, I would have put a Hayabusa in it. - Hence my still looking for a DB4 roller (or slider).

Sorry Stan. Mark 5 innards. FTs are hard to come by.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Contributing Member quartzracer's Avatar
    Liked: 5

Default Reynard Tub

Kyle: Check your e-mail.

Contributing Member

Thanks guys. I was expecting to get a bunch of hate mail for doing this. If I wanted to try to run it with the Hayabusa engine, how are people mating those engines to the Hewland? What if I wanted to put a cheap Toyota motor in it, anybody have a source on the motor adaptor plate that I believe I'm missing?

Thanks again,
    Kyle

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Probably don't want to mate the Busa to the Hewland as you already have a six speed trans in the Busa. Sell the Hewland for $2-$3 grand & run a chain drive. There are diffs made exactly for this purpose. See the sportsracer forum listed in a previous reply above. The sportsracer guys do this conversion from Hewland to to chain drive & can fill you in on all the details.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner
    Sorry Stan. Mark 5 innards. FTs are hard to come by.
    I have two buddies out here with later Reynards (a 92 and a 93), and they both have FT's, so I was thinking this one might, too...but since it doesn't, I'm happy I didn't buy it.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member

Not finding where that forum is mentioned?

Kyle

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 142

stan,

if you're looking for an ft200 drop me an email. brendan(at)puder.com
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton
    I have two buddies out here with later Reynards (a 92 and a 93), and they both have FT's, so I was thinking this one might, too...but since it doesn't, I'm happy I didn't buy it.
    The 89/90H had the bespoke Reynard casing (based on F3 stuff) with Mark 5 internals and, when this was found not up to the rigors of the pro series, they designed the 92/93H to take the venerable FT/. The engine bay bracing was stiffer and the tub a bit smaller. Very few parts will interchange.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar

Default Who reads..

I guess nobody read my early reply.!

Quote Originally Posted by D.T. Benner
    I guess nobody read my early reply.!
    In reference to . . . . . ?
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

I read your reply Darrell, which is how I came to know that it didn't have an FT. Beofre reading your post I had bookmarked the auction and, thinking it had an FT, intended to buy the car if no one outbid me. All of that was before I noticed the thread on this forum and found out that the trans was not an FT. Like I said, knowing now that it's a Mk5 I am happy that Kyle bought it instead of me!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1490

There's a DSR design that's almost exactly what Fulltilt is looking for. Saw one at Buttonwillow a couple of years back. Called a Realm Runner, front motorcycle engined, and I believe it's available (or was) as a kit.

Gotta wonder how the Reynard uprights and arms would survive a Michigan chuckhole!!

Contributing Member

Don't think I haven't thought about that chuckhole scenario Rick! I don't know if the control arms would survive either. If the car gets driven on the street, it will be on known roads. I hit one on I-80 through Indiana this year that bent both wheels on one side of our BMW. Man was I ticked.

About the Realm Runner, that is the layout I am looking for. The DAX Rush Hayabusa is also similar to what I want to do. It looks like a Lotus 7. Unfortunately I was sheltered from neat British stuff for too many years to think they look good now. (I grew up in Montana!) I have my own body design in mind, and I'm pretty sure it won't be one of those ugly babies that only the parents see beauty in. I recently bought the Quaife reversing gearbox from DAX, and as soon as my Hayabuse engine arrives, I can start building a frame.

I am new to all this, and still need to figure out if the FA will be too wide. The wheels and tires certainly are. But the thing just looks so freakin cool. I'm still getting over the fact that I own something this modern! Someone has offered to trade me a complete FC, which is tempting. I could actually take an open wheel to the track next year with little extra money while I am still designing. I don't like the appearence of the wide rocker arms, but the width and wheels may work better for me. (Anyone know the track widths of a FA vs FC?

I got lost on the sports racer forum last night. I didn't know there were so many out there using motorcycle engines in cars. Now I have some lightweight quickchange rearends to research today. I'm glad I found you guys.

Kyle

Liked: 44

Kyle

There is a fellow in Oregon named Dennis Palatov who is building a MC powered track car. He is designing this from the ground up using some impressive software. The layout is similar to the Sidewinder F500 car, the driver on the left and power plant on the right. It is a 4 sheel drive setup.

You can visit his website at http://dpcars.aprsworld.com/.

Click on dp1 to see how it is coming along.

Click on Past, dp1 design log, then page 1 at the top to see the start of the project.

Thread Information