Liked: 0

Default First Look @ M-O EWC Entries

I'm a little behind on recruiting but here's what I know so far about EWC Rounds #7 and #8 September 10 & 11 at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. Based on conversations at Road America plus a few telephone calls and e-mails this past week, here's a first (and incomplete) look at the M-O EWC entry list:

Dave Harmison, Royale RP-21, CFF, E
    Brian Duncan, Tiga FFA-78, CFF, E
    Tom Tipsword, Van Diemen RF81, CFF, E
    Wes Allen, Merlyn Mk25, CFF, E
    Michael Neylon, Zink Z-10, CFF, E
    Pat Breakey, Zink Z-10C, CFF, E
    Kent Wingate, Zink Z-10C, CFF, E
    Erik Shepard, Hawke DL12, CFF, E
    Jon Adams, Van Diemen RF98, FF, E
    John Adams, Van Diemen RF98, FF, E
    Chad Hines, Van Diemen RF98, FF, E
    Ralph Zuponcic, Van Diemen RF94, FF, E
    Dan Faust, Van Diemen RF93, FF, E
    Joe Fisher, Van Diemen RF84, FF, E
    Jim Dietz, Van Diemen RF97, FF, E
    Mike Moore, Lola T-640, FF, E
    Mike Lentine, Swift DB-6, FF, E
    Larry Hendrickson, Swift DB-6, FF, E
    Scott Hanba, Euroswift SC93F
    John Haydon Jr, Tiga FFA-80, CFF, W
    Alan Murray, Crossle 45F, CFF, W
    Jim Nash, Van Diemen RF98, FF, W
    Tom Stillwell, Swift DB-1, FF, W
    Mark Blythe, Van Diemen RF98, FF, W

In addition to these 24 "probable" entries, there are another 10 EWC car/driver combinations that I am not sure about. Being right before the Runoffs, there will also be some guest appearances by those wanting to start the test week early.

A big welcome to the two drivers making their EWC debuts: Pat Breakey and Chad Hines.

If you are not on this list but should be, please let me know. Watch this space for more news as its available: entries, FAQs, etc.

Steve Beeler, de facto EWC commissioner
    Lola T-540 HU44
    home: (734)416-8865 sbeeler@wowway.com
    office: (313)390-1818 sbeeler@ford.com
    Last edited by Steve B; 08.31.05 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Added Hanba, deleted Nesbitt

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Steve and all,

Being a FF Festival event, I think it only right that the FF and CFF group have their OWN race group.

Presently (don't ask me why) the CFC's are in with you guys. Hardly appropriate for a Ff Festival event (I am being deadly serious).

I talked with Phil Alspach (race co chair) last week at the National and I think if you guys want your own group and enough asked for it, he would probably change the schedule to move the CFC's with the FC's.

Steve

Liked: 95

Gee thats interesting. We could hardly wait to run with the FF's as expected a lot of media coverage from Formula Magazine whom we have already contacted.

I don't know if I agree with you on this one Steve but see your point as we don't want to do anything to mess these guys up either.
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

Default 14 + 2 = 16

Murray Motorsports will be bringing Tom Stillwell (Swift DB-1, FF, W) and Alan Murray (Crossle 45F, CFF, W) over from Minnesota. This brings the early entry list up to 18 cars. The updated list is at the top of this thread.

As the car count continues to grow, our argument for moving the CFC cars out of the EWC race group will only get stronger. Enter early and enter often! Many thanks to Steve Demeter for initiating contact with the race organizers.

Lola T-540 HU44

Default 16 + 3 = 19

Add three names to the early entry list: Mark Blythe (Van Diemen RF98, FF, W), Erik Shepard (Hawke DL12, CFF, E), and Joe Fisher (Van Diemen RF84, FF, E). That brings the FF/CFF car count up to 19 and counting. More good news to follow.

Scroll up to the top of this thread for the complete "first look" entry list. If you are not on this list but should be, please let me know.

Special thanks to Mark Blythe for towing in from MIDIV for all four EWC weekends.

Lola T-540 HU44
    home: (734)416-8865 sbeeler@wowwway.com

Default 19 + 5 = 24

I got an e-mail from the OVR registrar yesterday and it was full of good news: five entries that I did not know about. Here they are: Jim Dietz (Van Diemen RF97, FF, E), Mike Moore (Lola T-640, FF, E), John Nesbitt (Van Diemen RF80, CFF, E), Mike Lentine (Swift DB-6, FF, E), and Larry Hendrickson (Swift DB-6, FF, E). Also, Kent Wingate will be driving Rex Gunning's Zink Z-10C CFF for the East team.

Welcome to John Nesbitt and Mike Lentine to their first EWC weekend.

Scroll up to the top of this thread for the complete "first look" entry list.

Lola T-540 HU44

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 910

Default 24 - 1 = 23

Steve,

Sadly, I had to withdraw due to pressure of work. I am very disappointed, as I was looking forward to running with a full grid of FF's. Next year, for sure!

John
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 6

Anything happening with the plan to move CFC cars out of this group? (That would be me)
    Anything is possible, until it is proven impossible.

Call Phil Alspach, race chair at 614-888-8100

or try e amiling OVR at: www.ovr-scca.org then follow the link at the top to contact us.

Steve

Default Race group change?

In order to make the CFC race group change happen before the race weekend, FF/CFF drivers need to get their entries in NOW. As of Saturday, the registrar had received only 12 FF/CFF entries: Nesbitt, Wingate, Breakey, Moore, Blythe, Stillwell, Zuponcic, Lentine, Fisher, Dietz, Hines, and Hendrickson.

There are 20 entries in Race Group 6 (CFC/FF/CFF) but only 13 entries in Race Group 3 (assorted winged things). As the combined CFC/FF/CFF race group fills up with confirmed FF/CFF entries, the argument for moving CFC into Race Group 3 will get much easier.

By the way, many thanks to our CFC friends for their help in addressing this matter. I really don't have anything against wings....

Lola T-540 HU44

Default 23 + 1 = 24

Sorry to hear that John Nesbitt had to withdraw his entry. John: please send me your e-mail address so that I can put you on the EWC mailing list. We'll hope to see you in 2006.

On the plus side, Scott Hanba (Euroswift SC93F, FF, E) is good to go after sucessfully testing his new engine at Waterford Hills.

Scroll up for the complete "first look" entry list. If you are not on the list but should be, please let me know. Remember: the earlier you get you entry in, the easier the argument is for moving the CFC cars out of the EWC race group.

Lola T-540 HU44

Liked: 313

I am going to late enter at MO if I get the car together.

I saw that the late entry deadline was last Friday and knew I was going to miss it based on getting shocks for my car, but I also noticed that the late deadline for the Grattan regional this weekend had a deadline of this last Monday and only $20 instead of the $40 penalty that they are charging for the MO weekend. Anybody else notice that several regions seem to either need this information awful early or are using it as a revenue enhancer?

Liked: 2

Dave,
    I'm pretty sure the late entry deadline is this Friday for Mid-O. You still have a couple of days to save the $40. That's what the form on their website says.
    Scott

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Late/Early Entries

On the paper form it said 8/26 I hope they changed it for the electronic form. I agree with Dave, for the August Mid-Ohio race they had 3 deadlines - a month ahead of time got you one price, 2 weeks prior another price and then the late entry price.

It seems the folks putting the show on this weekend are particularly proud with a $40 late fee 2 weeks prior, a $280 entry fee and $175 if you want a garage. And they wonder why entries are down..... I hope they are spending the extra revenue on the workers!

I hope you can make it Dave - if you need some shocks let me know I've got some Bilsteins you are welcome to use.

Joe,
    I just noticed the same thing last night. My snail mail copy had last Friday, and the website form has tomorrow. I'm sending in the website form and my $280.
    Scott

Liked: 313

Thanks. I never would have guessed the amount was different on the e-copy.
    Saved $40.
    Dave

Two quick questions -

Will there be a tire vendor (vendors?) at the track?

Is there a test day on the Friday preceding the race?

Thanks,
    Erik

Default Tire Vendor

You can count on Hoosier being there, Goodyear's appearances at Mid-Ohio regionals has been spotty this year. You can call competition tire and they can tell you if they will be there. In years past Avon/Cooper has been there to support the folks preparing for the runoffs.

Competition Tire West, Inc.
    12666 U.S.12
    P.O. Box 666
    Brooklyn, Michigan 49230
    PHONE: 517/592-6681
    FAX: 517/592-3696

Call this guy at Mid-Ohio about if there is a test day on Friday:

Bill Conn at (614) 793-8007 x.3034

Liked: 4

You can learn about running the mid-ohio school at midohio.com which is scheduled for Friday Sept. 9th.

Liked: 95

Default Selfish question - gas`

Is there going to be gas at the race track.

You would think in the middle of the God awful mess this would be the last thing we would be thinking of but we need to know.

Thanks
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

Default Gas

Yes Mid-Ohio has gas pumps.

Thanks for the feedback folks. I'll give Comp Tire a call next week (they're closed now)

Quote Originally Posted by akilcoyne
    You can learn about running the mid-ohio school at midohio.com which is scheduled for Friday Sept. 9th.
    Andy,

You must be mistaking me for someone with money, LOL!

"The Competition Course serves as a “coached” test day and gives licensed racing competitors a chance to pick the brains of the people who know Mid-Ohio better than anyone – The Mid-Ohio School instructors...
    Cost:
    $825 with your own race car"

Default Race group change?

The argument for moving the CFC cars out of the EWC race group is getting stronger. There are currently 22 Group 3 entries and 28 Group 6 entries, 8 of which are CFC cars. There are still two Adams Racing FF entries not on the list. Add them plus a couple of late FF/CFF entries and the move makes sense, especially since the CFC guys also want it to happen.

Steve Demeter: Please stop by to see Jim Nash Friday evening or early Saturday morning. His yellow Van Diemen RF98 will be in one of the pit lane garages. If you two see the chief steward together, I think you can make the move happen. Good luck!

Lola T-540 HU44

Liked: 6

If this change happpens (OK by me) after Friday registration please make sure everyone involved hears about it. I never seem to hear PA announcements at the track.
    Last edited by Mike Ahrens; 09.08.05 at 12:47 PM.
    Anything is possible, until it is proven impossible.

I am going to call the chief steward tonite as well as the race chairman and see what can be done in advance.

Steve

Well,
    I talked to Doug Ruth, chief steward last evening.

the short answer is no way on Saturday. Reasons were: There is a stewards rule that a group may not be moved up in the schedule. The thought was that some guys might wait til the last minute to show up Saturday AM thinking that they are runnoing in Group 6 and that they in fact had been moved to group 3 and just missed their session. Seems like a lot of horse puckey to me, but at least the stated intention is to not cause a driver to miss thoier session ( I found out later last nite on impeccable authority that no such rule exists).

Doug said that he "would look at it" for Sunday. I pleaded the case that if one is moved from group 6 to 3, that their session is only 1 hour earlier and if someone plans to show up that close to thier practice time, that they are not very bright and that the CFC drivers are a pretty bright bunch.

The GCR does provide for moving a class if everyone in that class agrees to be moved, in the form of writing, presented to the SOM. I don't know how that can be made to happen Saturday AM in time to go out at 8:40.

Well I tried my darndest.

Steve

Liked: 23

Default MO EWC Saturday Results

Gotta love a hotel with free wireless internet...

Ran the Club configration, not the runnoffs configuration.

Qualifying:

1 FF Dan Faust, RF93 1:35.103
    2 FF Mike Lentine, DB6, 1:35.646
    3 FF Joe Fisher, RF84, 1:36.192
    4 FF Scott Hanba, Euroswift SC93, 1:36.280
    1 CFF Brian Duncan, Tiga, 1:36.554
    5 FF Jim Nash, RF98, 1:37.017
    2 CFF Wes Allen, Merlyn, 1:38.767
    3 CFF Dave Harrison, Royale, 1:38.822
    6 FF Ron Harris, RF00, 1:39.884
    7 FF Tim Wise, DB6, 1:40.621
    8 FF Tom Stillwell, DB1, 1:42.393
    4 CFF Erik Sheepard, Hawke, 1:42.763
    5 CFF Michael Neylon, Zink, 1:43.286
    6 CFF Patrick Breakey, Zink, 1:43.460
    9 FF Mike Moore, Lola, 1:44.196
    7 CFF Kent Wingate, Zink, 1:44.810
    10 FF Jim Dietz, RF97, 2:26.249

Race
    1 FF Mike Lentine, 1:34.558
    2 FF Jim Nash, 1:34.651
    3 FF Scott Hanba, 1:36.715
    4 FF Ralph Zuponcic, 1:36.061
    5 FF Tim Wise, 1:39.487
    6 FF Ron Harris, 1:41.857
    7 FF Mike Moore, 1:42.318
    8 FF Tom Stillwell, 1:40.179
    9 FF Joe Fisher, 1:43:521
    10 FF Jim Dietz, 1:36.471
    DNS Dan Faust

1 CFF Dave Harrison, 1:37.615
    2 CFF Brian Duncan, 1:36.767
    3 CFF Wes Allen, 1:37.540
    4 CFF Michael Neylon, 1:40.980
    5 CFF Patrick Breakey, 1:42.825
    DNF Erik Shepard, 1:43.601
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 67

September 21st. :
    After consulting with Steve, I have completed the race awards for the Mid Ohio weekend. We had no flag to flag winner, which might be better described as a "pole to win" award for FFs on Sat. (Sorry Mike!) and I have filled in the Passing Bonus awards.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

In an effort to fill in for Steve B., here are all the details on who won what at Rounds #5 and #6 of the 2005 FF/CFF East vs West Challenge September 10-11 at Mid Ohio Sports Car Course. Steve made a tough job easy for me by suppliing me with everything needed to fill in for him. Contingency award eligibility requirements are outlined in the EWC "welcome" letter.I will post the Saturday afternoon prize drawing winners in a couple days. It was great to see so many of the drivers and crew at the drawing.

Round #5 (Saturday)

Formula Ford

Slow Qualifier ($100 shop labor credit from Racing Flow Development): Jim Dietz

First ($200 product certificate from Hoosier Racing Tire + 1 tire from Avon Racing Tires + $100 shop labor credit from Schulz Automotive Machine): Mike Lentine

Second ($100 product certificate from Hoosier Racing Tire): Jim Nash

Fourth ($50 shop labor credit from Continental Motorsport Services): Ralph Zuponcic

Fifth (WIX racing oil filter from CARQUEST Auto Parts): Tim Wise

Passing Bonus ($20 merchandise from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): Ralph Zuponcic

Flag-to-Flag ($20 merchandise from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): NA

Fast Lap ($50 manufactured products or shop credit from Two Dogg, Inc): Mike Lentine

Club Formula Ford

Slow Qualifier ($100 shop labor credit from Schulz Automotive Machine): Kent Wingate

First ($200 product certificate from Hoosier Racing Tire + $100 shop labor credit from Schulz Automotive Machine): Dave Harmison

Second ($100 product certificate from Hoosier Racing Tire): Brian Duncan

Fourth ($50 shop labor credit from Continental Motorsport Services): Mike Neylon

Fifth (WIX racing oil filter from CARQUEST Auto Parts): Pat Breakey

Passing Bonus ($20 merchandise from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): Dave Harmison

Flag-to-Flag ($20 merchandise from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): n/a

Fast Lap ($50 manufactured products or shop credit from Two Dogg, Inc): Brian Duncan

Round #6 (Sunday)

Formula Ford

Slow Qualifier ($100 shop labor credit from Racing Flow Development): Mike Moore

First ($200 product certificate from Hoosier Racing Tire + 1 tire from Avon Racing Tires +
    $100 shop labor credit from Schulz Automotive Machine): Mike Lentine

Second ($100 product certificate from Hoosier Racing Tire): Jim Nash

Fourth ($50 shop labor credit from Continental Motorsport Services): Scott Hanba

Fifth (WIX racing oil filter from CARQUEST Auto Parts): Joe Fisher

Passing Bonus ($20 merchandise from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): Scott Hanba

Fast Lap ($50 manufactured products or shop credit from Two Dogg, Inc): Jim Dietz

Club Formula Ford

Slow Qualifier ($100 shop labor credit from Schulz Automotive Machine): Kent Wingate

First ($200 product certificate from Hoosier Racing Tire + $100 shop labor credit from Schulz Automotive Machine): Dave Harmison

Second ($100 product certificate from Hoosier Racing Tire): Brian Duncan

Fourth ($50 shop labor credit from Continental Motorsport Services): Mike Neylon

Fifth (WIX racing oil filter from CARQUEST Auto Parts): Pat Breakey

Passing Bonus ($20 merchandise from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): Dave Harmison

Fast Lap ($50 manufactured products or shop credit from Two Dogg, Inc): Dave Harmison

Hopefully I have got this mostly correct. Post a reply or email me if I managed to get something screwed up. It is very likely! As always, many thanks to all of the EWC sponsors for their generous support of Formula Ford 1600.

Jim Nash, stand-in for Steve B., de facto EWC commissioner

office: (651)736-6941 "holtnash@msn.com"
    Last edited by Jim Nash; 09.22.05 at 2:26 PM.

Default Sunday Results

FF
    1 Mike Lentine 1:34.467
    2 Jim Nash 1:34.376
    3 Dan Faust 1:35.114
    4 Scott Hanba 1:35.765
    5 Joe Fisher 1:36.638
    6 Tim Wise 1:37.572
    7 Tom Stillwell 1:40.020
    8 Mike Moore 1:41.488
    9 Jim Dietz 1:33.957
    10 Ron Harris 1:42.399

CFF
    1 Dave Harmison 1:37.092
    2 Brian Duncan 1:37.260
    3 Wes Allen 1:39.110
    4 Michael Neylon 1:40.837
    5 Patrick Breakey 1:41.186
    6 Erik Shepard 1:41.436
    7 Kent Wingate 1:45.568
    Scott

Default Clarification

Point of clarification - Jim Dietz pulled off on the last lap on Saturday and Sunday so as not not to impact the regional championship. He definitely has a strong car for the runoffs and led all laps up to that point. Class act - thanks Jim! We also think he intentionally qualified last on Saturday for the $100 EWC credit.

Liked: 48

"Jim Dietz pulled off on the last lap on Saturday and Sunday so as not not to impact the regional championship."

Why? (not much of a Regional Championship for the past 5+ years)

He missed out on some new tires for the runoffs.

Ian Lenhart
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lenhart
    He missed out on some new tires for the runoffs.
    I think you have to appear on both sides of the lake to take anything you win...
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 67

Here is a recap of the FF side of the Mid Ohio rounds of the EWC. Please feel free to elaborate beyond my “view of the race” as I am sure it is a bit narrow.

The weather was great with highs in the 80s accompanied by an occasional light breeze. The crashing problems of RA were not repeated with all the sessions running clean with no black-flags or full course yellows.

Race one had past MO EWC front runner Jim Dietz staring in the back after problems in qualifying and pole sitter Dan Faust pulling off on the pace lap with brake problems. I started 6th of the FF/CFFs and within a few laps was running second to the leading Mike Lentine. I chased Mike the rest of the race, pressuring him as hard as I could but never really getting close enough to take a shot at a pass. We were pretty evenly matched with the expectation of Mike getting out of the keyhole a bit better than I could. Scott Hanba finished 3rd and Ralph Zuponcic was a strong 4th after missing qualifying due to a morning coaching obligation.

Race two had Jim D. on the pole, Mike L. second, and me lining up 3rd. Jim informed Mike and me that he planned on stopping after a few laps and scuffing in some tires in preparation for his run in the upcoming Runoffs. Joe Fisher got a heck of a start and got by me and maybe even Mike. (I never remember all the details correctly.) I think Jim checked out with the CFCs as I never saw him again. I eventually got by Joe and I think maybe Brian Duncan too, to find myself in the same spot as the day before, right behind Mike. Unfortunately for me I hadn’t learned anything about getting out of the keyhole any faster and repeated the race one result. Mike made a great carrot for me to chase as I think I turned my fastest times at MO since the 2001 Runoffs. Dan Faust rebounded from the previous day’s brake problems with a 3rd place finish. Scott Hanba and Joe Fisher rounded out the top five. Ralph Z. was a DNS after finding several cracks in his brake rotors. In his first trip to MO, Tim Wise finished 6th after a 5th place finish in the first race.

As usual the EWC racing was close with the margins of victory for the FFs being 1.0 and .64 seconds while the CFFs were .21 and .15 seconds. Four finishes with a cumulative margin of victory under 2 seconds!

Jim

Thread Information