Liked: 0

What should I be using for transmission fluid in my Mk9?
    Also, how high should the level be when I remove the fill plug on top?

Liked: 3

Just about any brand 75-90 gear lube is fine for the Mk9. Synthetics may prove to be better in the long run as they offer less drag and longer wear. But beware; they cost about $7-10 per quart.

The volume of the Mk9 should not be judged by the side fill plug. Only the smallest of fingers will reach the full level of about 1.25qt. Do a gear change and replace the loss with 1qt. and forget about it.

Liked: 637

a brand new empty transaxle needs 1 and a half quarts of 80/90....after opening for gear changes, just dump one in. you can find perhaps a 1 or two horsepower increase with a dyno if you use synthetic so here are 2 reasons to not use regular oil...longevity of your tranny and HP. do yourself and the tranny a favor and use a magnetic plug in the side and the top - craig taylor has 'em.

This isn't quite related, but, I've been curious.

I know a guy who makes his living off building 3 and 4 speed tranny's for the dirt track guys. He wont warranty a tranny with synthetic oil. He says that the syn. oil flys off the gear teeth too easily at rpm, and, that he has the statisitcs to prove to me that syn. lubed tranny's blow up more often.
    He also states that conventional oil in the tranny sticks to everything better, lubing better, and tranny's don't blow up as often.
    This is a different tranny in a different application, but, would it transpose to a MK9/LD200?
    I still use synthetic tranny oil, at this point.

Liked: 3

Poor some shock proof on his hands and ask him to shake it off! lol

Anders, I agree with Todd, I have forgotten to add oil after a gear change and had no troubles. Nothing showed signs of heat or wear. That redline syn , although expensive and sometimes hard to find, is the ticket.

John

Liked: 34

I agree with both Todd and John. Redline Lightweight Shockproof is the way to go. I love the color. But ask the expert, Craig Taylor. He has a lube section on his website.
    dave jalen

Thread Information