Liked: 0

Default What 1600cc engines can I use??

I bought a FF roller, and I am trying to get a drivetrain put together. What is the 1600cc engine based off?? Is it a Ford Pinto engine? Did they make a Pinto with a 1600cc? What other choices do i have??

What about a 2.0 engine? Would that fit? Honda VTEC?
    1983 Royale RP33M
    2000 BMW M5
    1984 Ferrari 308 GTS QV
    1989 Porsche 944 Turbo S

Liked: 3

It depends what you want to do. The VTEC may be a hoot, but it won't be a Formula Ford (for obvious reasons).

The Formula Ford-legal engines are in the "Kent" engine family: 1600cc, OHV (pushrod) engines manufactured from 1968-71 in English Ford Cortinas, in 1971-73 in the base Pinto, and again (in slightly altered form) in the 1978 & up Fiesta (American).

The '68-'70 engine will have 691M or 2737M cast into the side. It is known as the "Cortina GT" engine and although good for vintage, is not the hot setup for current era (of course, there are exceptions to this rule...)

The '71 Cortina engine will have 711M cast into the side and is known as the "uprated" engine. It is the engine of choice for current FF1600 racing.

The Pinto version I don't know the casting number. Ford referred to it as part # DIFZ-6010-C, but don't rush off to your dealer for one. They haven't been made for quite a while.

The Fiesta version will have 771M cast into the side. It is functionally the same as the uprated, but some differences will require small modifications... But if your car uses motor mounts on the sides of the block, the Fiesta block may not work without extensive modification (to the block or to the car).

If you're not looking at running FF1600, you may want to consider Yamaha R1 power. Light, relatively inexpensive, and very powerful.

Hey guys, I think I am going to go with the correct powerplant, a Kent 1600. I want the car to be original and legal. I need to locate a tranny first, then I will move ahead and get a Kent 1600.
    1983 Royale RP33M
    2000 BMW M5
    1984 Ferrari 308 GTS QV
    1989 Porsche 944 Turbo S

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Or, a 340 HP turbo Hayabusa would move you along quite smartly!
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Whoa, a turbo Hayabusa engine?? Holy cow, that would be waaaay fun!
    1983 Royale RP33M
    2000 BMW M5
    1984 Ferrari 308 GTS QV
    1989 Porsche 944 Turbo S

Will the 2.0L engines that came in early pintos/capri's from the 70's fit? Are they the 'kent' engine? Are there any aluminum cylinder heads available for those?

FYI - I have a Thunder Roadster with a 160hp R1 engine - waaay cool it is!

Contributing Member John Merriman's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default No

No, no and no.

Liked: 3

Well, I think they could be made to fit into (some) chassis physically, but they do not fit the FF1600 class...

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Gcr

You guys need to READ the GCR. You don't even need to buy one, because it's on-line. You need to look closely at what it says about engines, and your questions will be answered. The short answer is that there is one engine ONLY that is legal in FF, and one for FC. The minor variations (Cortina, Kent, Fiesta, Pinto) are just that, and these engines must use factory parts (ok, a couple minor exceptions, but conceptually, these are stock engines that have been blueprinted). If you want to use a Mazda, Honda, Yamaha, Yugo or Chevy engine, you won't be running in FF or FC.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Thread Information