Thread: Prediction time

Liked: 0

Default Prediction time

Hi all,

Well now that the Cooper Series opener is a week away, I thought it would be a good time to gaze into the crystal ball and make some predictions. Based on who I believe is running this year, here's are my thoughts.

Zetec Championship Contenders

Jay Howard - The Rod Stewart look-a-like is the leading contender in my mind. Last year he arrived from the UK and shocked everyone at Sears. If he develops a good relationship with the team and his engineer, he should win a bunch of races.

Joey Foster - While possibly not that well known over here, the kid has talent. A star in UK in FF where he won "The Festival" at Brands, he should benefit from racing with multi-time champions Cape.

Chris Guerrieri - The Canadian got quicker as the season went on last year and showed in Cdn FF he can win races. The key will be if he can gel with his team and be consistent.

Franklin Futrelle - In the small Formula SCCA field last year, he was one of two drivers who dominated. Quick and consistent, his title chances rely on scoring points every weekend.

Chris Dona - The dark horse. Given the team is just him and his dad, he'll need some luck, but many believe he's got the talen to make the most of the situation.

Rookie of Year contenders

Jay Howard

Joey Foster

Franklin Futrelle

Chris Meredith - Like Futrelle a graduate of FSCCA. How quickly he adapts to the Zetec car and how consistent he is throughout the year will be the key.

Master's Cup contenders (Over 35)

Scott Rubenzer - The ageless wonder. The all-time career starts leader, he regularly beats drivers younger that his kids age.

Gerald Kraut - As he showed last year, with JDC's backing he can be quick on any given weekend.

Matt McDonough - After a year's hiatus, he returns to the series looking to recapture his podium finishes.

Jason Byers - Don't let the party atmosphere under the St. Clair tent fool you, they know what their doing and he's quick.

Greg Pizzo - The defending ACC Champion makes the move up to Zetec and looks to succeed like many of the past ACC winners.

Cooper Cup contenders

Glennon Reidler - A class winner last year, the SCCA standout will likely have have to run more races this year due to deeper field.

Bill Jordan - Had such a good time at Road America last year, decided to return and will make his pressence felt.

Doug Kniffin - A SCCA standout in the Northeast, he'll be looking to show he can win anywhere.

Road Atlanta predictions

Podium
    Howard
    Foster
    Futrelle

Master's
    Byers

Gold Cup
    Reidler

Well there you go.

Cheers,
    Allan Craighead
    eFormulaCarNews.com Managing Editor
    (226) 808-9472 Cell
    acraighead@howdenmediagroup.com

Liked: 11

I believe I'd have to put my $$ on Howard.

As we labored in PF's camp a couple weeks ago Mr Howard & Mr Aiken were also in attendance and getting along fabulously. Jay working on his tan, Marshall working of PF's car.

(and yes, he does look a lot like Rod Stewart)
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 3787

I'm partial to Howard and Guerreri in the big show, especially after seeing how the Kershaw test went. Aiken Racing switched from black to red livery for Atlanta.

If he runs enough events, my ACC pick is Jordan. He should handle Atlanta easily having already been out on Avons three times this winter. It's hard to bet against a St. Clair pinto.

I'll be cheering for Burke as the dark horse. Unfortunately, for the time being, he knows his way around Atlanta better than he knows the Carbir.

Default Say what?

Geeze Al.... No pressure

I was quite fortunate to be able to run several of the ACC events last season. I am very excited to see the names of so many top rung drivers in the Gold Cup class this time around. At this time, it appears this season may be drawing the largest overall number of drivers in this class since the introduction of the Zetec as the "premier" car.

I also believe the Gold Cup class will be much more competitive than some may think, or predict. I will certainly be pushing hard to make the grade

I am very excited there is now only one week to go before it all starts!

I wish everyone a safe and challenging season!
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

Default Thanks Al!

Best of luck to everyone!!
    Last edited by Meredith Motorsports; 04.07.05 at 4:41 PM.

Default Thanks Al!

Al,
    Thanks for mentioning Chris! His frustration with the FSCCA cars problems last year really got him down and he is finding that the Zetec is quite a bit different to drive (but a ton more reliable!) Considering the level of experience and quality in the Zetec drivers ranks this year it should be a good season for learning. Even though Chris only has 6 real race weekends under his belt in a car, we saw some real bright spots last year and hopefully he can be competetive this year (and consistent).

We are looking forward to seeing everyone next week and getting the season underway!

Best Regards,
    Lynn Meredith (Chris's Dad)

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 31

Default Predictions

Al your right Rod the Mod is going to be hard work for everybody! If Rod and Charlie Chin get along [Hayes does'nt beat him up] they will be tough.Although the Gruesome Twosome have been running some with the Barry Manilow [Foster] and they think he's up to it,since they have had time with both.I think also if Slade Miller is in at JDC as rumuored he can also shine.Remember as well your countrymen Guerreri has not been far off Rod,he also must survive a season of Chin,and Jim Carey! Meridith, and Futrelle having gone through what they had to endure last year will be factors because of it there biggest concern has to be not upsetting the Bull Dog of Athens.Anyhow looking forward to seeing 30+ Zetecs and what looks like the best grid of Cup cars in years.I just hope Dick the Trick is bringing the chopper. Jon B

If anybody has a car but no driver I would be glad to drive. I will pay entry fee, tire bill, and fuel. Seriously call me or telegraph me or write...anything. PF, If you want we can team up and you can push me around RA or vice versa. I swear I'll stay away from damp T5 curbing.
    Give em' Hell Kid!

Holy Topeka

The Gainesville Baller

In Loving Memory of David Dietrich, a father, a friend, a racer.
    (1954-2006)

I get a kick out of every one of Jon's posts. Now if we teach him what the "enter" key does... Periods... who needs any freking periods. Jon's seventh grade teacher told him periods are like stop signs. He doesn't like stop signs.

Interpreter needed?
    My best guess:
    Rod the Mod = Jay Howard (if you ever see him, you'll know why)
    Charlie Chin = Chris of Aiken Racing (which Chris?, there's like 3 of them)
    Hayes = Aiken Racing's chief engineer
    Gruesome Twosome = Cape brothers
    Barry Manilow = obviously one fast Mr. Foster
    Jim Carey = Marshall Aiken (and now that you mention it, I do see the resemblence)
    Bull Dog of Athens = Sir Kevin of Comprent

Somehow I like how it reads better the way Jon writes it.

Keep posting Jon!

Frog close but Chin is Hayes!I would suggest a bottle of Stoli and some Cubans be on hand at all times in that transporter! If you make a suggestion about set-up and he acts like he does'nt here you,that usally means you should go stand in the trailer think about what you have just done.I dare you to touch his LAPTOP.Go figure here is guy that his mother is full on Japenese and his favorite movie is 30 Seconds Over Tokyo! JON

I think by the end of this weekend we'll all qualify for a master's degree in Baytos?
    Travis Mason-Bushman
    Pacific F2000 Championship Media Relations
    travis@gpsports-eng.com - (510) 260-6224

Liked: 25

To all the Georgians, isn't THE bulldog of Athens, Uga?
    - Frank C

Kevvy might take offense to us calling him UGA! My cousin Jimmy was a Bulldog,he came to visit once and our Afgahn Hound attacked him from the bushes.

Al -

Thanks for helping the St. Clair camp come up with a new team motto! see you next week.

Matt

Liked: 1

Default I feel your pain Cole

Hey that Jay Howard cat just LOOKS fast (and he diden't even bring his car to the Nat.)!!
    And FF looked good at the Nat driving for UGA too.
    Maby a team from GA will take home the ship this year!
    Do ya think Brad will let an 84 Reynard run for the Gold Cup, the Masters, Lapped less than 5 times Cup ....anything??
    Man those cars look like alot of fun.
    See Yall on Sat.
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Howard
    Futrelle
    Guerrieri
    Give em' Hell Kid!

Holy Topeka

The Gainesville Baller

(1954-2006)

Liked: 6

Default Uhhhhh......

Last minute entry - Jason Bowles. This should be fun.
    Ron

Liked: 30

Anyone who wins the FF Festival in England gets my vote (not sure if it is as competitive as it used to be in the 70's & 80's) so Joey Foster for the Zetec and if I picked anyone than Doug Kniffin for the Gold Cup class he would stop supplying me beer.
    Look forward to joining in the series next year and for those going, have a great weekend.
    Brent

Default Another Surprise.....

Ooooooo. I just heard some interesting news, that, if accurate, will make the Road Atlanta event quite interesting for those of us in the Gold Cup. Think TWO additional real potential P1 contender's for GC race this weekend.
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

The more the merrier in Gold Cup and if anyone else wants to smarten up like Brent, its worth a couple rounds at the bar for sure!
    F2000, Formula F, Formula Atlantic series photographer
    http://www.kniffinphoto.com
    teamkniffin@yahoo.com

Hey Glennon,

Be as I won't be there till Thursday morning, care to share your rumor.

Cheers,
    Allan Craighead
    eFormulaCarNews.com Managing Editor
    (226) 808-9472 Cell
    acraighead@howdenmediagroup.com

Default I hate to spread rumors

Al,

Rumor is.......... two SEDIV hotshoes, both w/previous Road Atlanta experience, both w/to-date impressive 2005 performances.......
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

Liked: 11

Man... love to go watch you guys race but the tickets are *gulp* $80.00! Any possibility of getting on a crew list?
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

My guess:
    Vassmer
    Manfrianto

Liked: 4

Default Gotta cheer on...

I've to to predict Local Driver and Former RCCA & Formula Pro Alumni Doug Kniffin...

Best of luck... It will be intresting to watch this series...
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Default Hey Carnut......

Sean,

If you really want to "crew", I'll put you w/us if you are willing to foot the bill. Cost is $50 for "Grand Am Crew Single Event Membership" as stated on the Cooper Series site. Let me know asap, and I will check w/the series to see what really needs to done and how.

Send me an email at hardrockrat@mindspring.com
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

Liked: 19

Default The grand wizard

I say:
    ME ME AND ME AAHHHHHHAHHAAAAHHAHAHAHA
    Oh yea - I wont be in the gold cup....
    OK - ME AND ME!!!

After a year and half out of the seat - I'll settle for not balling the thing up by the exit of the pit lane.......

Based on last year - I'll have to say Bowles will be the quick one in Atlanta...... Tough to predict without seeing first practice.....

I'm going out on a limb and saying Peter Gonzalez in the gold cup..... He's under the GTP tent with me and Doug Smith - another guy who knows the place....

See ya next week!

Last minute Zetec entry...Cole Morgan, running out of the 10/tenths camp.
    Give em' Hell Kid!

Holy Topeka

The Gainesville Baller

(1954-2006)

car nut 169 ? if you want to go to atlanta see Michelle at registration. She will have a pass for you. Slade Miller and Bowles at JDC,I guess you were right Hopple,I should'nt have gotten Church going now you guy's want to win something besides the golf cart race,and the Master's with Dr.J. Cole Morgan is in.Have heard good thing's about this kid driving James [Bruce] Lee's DB-6.Al [Chef Boy Ardee ]Craighead,did'nt Man U lose to Norwich City? Jon B Frog check that grammmmaer.

Liked: 1

I was just getting used to idea of having a nice relaxing summer away from the race track... Then this past weekend, I was just spending a nice Sunday afternoon watching the LBGP then the phone rings, it's Bowles,,, he needs a crew chief for this weekend at ATL, hard to say no to that. .

I guess you were right Hopple,I should'nt have gotten Church going now you guy's want to win something besides the golf cart race,
    Y'know Jon, I'd like to see a published set of rules for this first, remember cost containment before you know it we have guys showing up with carbon fiber golf bag racks,tee holders etc. Are we going to have two classes for gas or electric carts or run them together with a restrictor for the gas carts?

See you guys thursday.-Dave

P.S My picks

Zetec, Bowles !!!!
    Masters, Byers or Scotty (hard to pick that one)
    Gold Cup, "Disco" Dan Bruggeman

Thread Information