Liked: 0

Default Suggestions for batteries 12v 6v for trailer Power

I thought I saw a thread a while back about using 6 volt golf cart batteries with inverter for power in the trailer.

Does any one know where this thread is I tried to search for it.

What about 12v batteries... if I go with these what do you guys suggest marine battery, truck battery???

How many batteries do you guys suggest to bring to the track?

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1495

According to my local RV guy, two 6V batteries in series have more current capacity than two 12 V batteries in parallel. He brought that up after I had a number of problems that kept me from getting good life out of my two RV batteries. Haven't had time to research his solution to find out why two 6s might be better.

Liked: 6

The 6 volt batteries used in most RVs are really golf cart batteries. This allows them to be a deep draw type that is easily available. RV electrical circuits are mostly 12v for lights and accessories with the only truly 120vac items being the microwave and air conditioner (and sometimes TV).
    Tuck

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1495

Yeah but - ampere hours are ampere hours, so one would think that two 12V deep cycle batteries in parallel with x amount of AH available would be equivalent to two 6V deep cycle batteries in series with the same amount of AH available, but that's not necessarily the case. Could also be that you can get more energy density for lead-acid cemistry in the same case size for a 6V vs a 12V - I don't know. But you have to end up with 12V out, it's just a question of how you create it.

Liked: 0

Ok two 6v in series to a inverter and I have power.

Does anything have to be grounded? Or do I just connect the + and - right to the inverter?

Thread Information