Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 910

In my short experience (2 SCCA schools this fall) I have had problems with my faceshield and glasses fogging up when I closed the shield on entering the track for the first session of the day. Very disconcerting!

There seems to be a variety of anti-fogging products on the market: anti-fog sprays for glasses and faceshield, anti-fog overlays for the inside of the faceshield, and a breath deflector.

Have other listers had any experience - good or bad - with any of these?

Thanks,

John
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 0

I use a small piece of tape to keep my visor slightly cracked it seems to work better than the anit fog stuff.
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

I have used the FogCity overlay for a number of years quite happily. It does need replacement every so often due to micro scratches. (If I was more careful in cleaning my visor they would probably have a longer life. )

George B. - Crossle 32F

Liked: 1880

Quit breathing!

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Both of the previous posts work, but if you have a Bell Helmet, they sell a fabric/plastic deflector that I've been using which does a real nice job of deflecting the breath.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 100

buy yourself a couple of fog citys and forget about it. they are by far the best answer to shield fogging i have ever used. install one on a clear visor and throw it in your bag for rainy days. depending on rain races and care, one could last for a few years. i keep both a clear and slightly smoked visor set up with one at all times. you do get a slight reflection back on the inside of you visor with them installed, so i don't use those visors unless it's truly wet. but i wouldn't be caught on a wet track without one. additional visor tip: use your old athletic socks to keep your extra visors in. keeps them from getting scratched in you equipment bag.

mark d

[size="1"][ December 08, 2003, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: mark defer ][/size]

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

World's cheapest solution...

Ivory Soap.

Yes, the white bar that floats in water and makes you skin as soft as a baby's behind.

Take you shield/glasses off, rub the bar on until white chalky (sp?) film appears, then with a very soft cloth (a diaper works) polish the white chalky film off. Ta Da, fog free shield and glasses. Do the inside of the shield, both sides of your glasses.

Go ahead, laugh, I've been using this technique for 15 years... A single application usually lasts a couple of weekends. It works on the inside of a windshield too.

Steve

Liked: 0

If it's a Bell I learned a little trick from Kenny Brack. Remove three 1/2" pieces of the foam seal at the bottom of the shield. This allows for a little air to circulate under the shield and straight up keeping it fog free.

I also wondered if spit works like it does on a scuba mask?
    Like a roll of toilet paper,
    life goes faster as you near the end.

Liked: 2

A trick from some motorcycle friends along the lines of the Ivory soap:

Dish soap - wipe on, wait until it dries to a haze, wipe off and good to go.

I apply a new coat each day that its needed just to be safe.
    Scott

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1489

If I remember right, it's the glycerine in the soap that does the trick.

Liked: 17

Hi,
    Soap works fine and Rainex on the outside

The "Foggy mask" works fine too.

http://www.demon-tweeks.com/catalogu...CODE=FGYRFG01B

Henrik
    "Trying is the first step towards faliure"
    Homer Simpson

www.hhtech.se

Thread Information