Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

Default Hewland Mk and FT fork fixtures

I had a run of FT and Mk fork fixtures made. They are beautiful and will give a lifetime of service. As original Hewland fixtures are few and far between, these are a nice way to go. Please read the following carefully if you are interested.

• I have ONE FT fixture left. It is complete with USED pinion/bearing, clamp plate and hardware. Ready to use. (can also be used for FG with different pinion). EDIT - SOLD!
    • I have TWO Mk fixtures left. These have stainless dowels but do not come with pinion/bearing or clamp plate. Not difficult parts to source. $500 + shipping from Rohnert Park, CA

Please see pictures for a closer look - available here: https://imgur.com/a/PKJa2JM
    Last edited by teamwisconsin; 07.28.23 at 11:54 AM. Reason: updated with sold items
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

Liked: 27

Default Fork setting Jig

Hewland lost the alloy casting mould for their FT fork setting Jig and have not been able to supply for years. A handy item to own for anyone running a FT200.

Quote Originally Posted by teamwisconsin View Post
    I had a run of FT and Mk fork fixtures made. They are beautiful and will give a lifetime of service. As original Hewland fixtures are few and far between, these are a nice way to go. Please read the following carefully if you are interested.

• I have ONE FT fixture left. It is complete with USED pinion/bearing, clamp plate and hardware. Ready to use. (can also be used for FG with different pinion). $850 + shipping from Rohnert Park, CA
    • I have TWO Mk fixtures left. These have stainless dowels but do not come with pinion/bearing or clamp plate. Not difficult parts to source. $500 + shipping from Rohnert Park, CA

Please see pictures for a closer look - available here: https://imgur.com/a/PKJa2JM

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 26

Default Fork fixture

Ethan
    A few questions. Is a setup sheet included or is it just a matter of setting forks so the dogs are in the middle of the gears? Would you please send a pic of the FT jig? ( mention the Mk jig comes with stainless studs, how are the shafts supported on other end with this fixture)

Any availability of a pinion height tool?

Tom
    tquan277@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsy SR 6 View Post
    Ethan
    A few questions. Is a setup sheet included or is it just a matter of setting forks so the dogs are in the middle of the gears? Would you please send a pic of the FT jig? ( mention the Mk jig comes with stainless studs, how are the shafts supported on other end with this fixture)

Any availability of a pinion height tool?

Tom
    tquan277@gmail.com

Tom-
    The first two pictures are of the assembled FT fixture. The third and fourth pictures are of the Mk fixtures as they ship (disassembled) and the final picture is of the Mk fixture with studs installed.

If it helps make the sale, I would gladly make an instruction sheet on how to use one of these. The short version is- you measure the "case depth" which includes using a straightedge across the back of the case to the face of the pinion bearing, then use shims on EITHER the bearing face in the fixture or the studs to match the fixture to the case depth of the actual transaxle. The point of the fork fixture is to allow you to set the fore/aft positions of the forks so you have proper engagement of the dog rings to the gears. At the same time you are insuring that your shift rails are set so there is no binding on the rail ends where the selector finger rides, or the forks are misaligned causing a binding or dragging.

Effectively, this allows you to change a duff shift fork, or check for proper setup and functionality of your shift rails and forks.

I wanted to test the market for saleability of the fork fixtures before I made pinion depth tools. Judging by the tepid reaction these fixtures have gotten, I doubt I will make pinion depth tools. I know these fixtures aren't cheap, but it cost quite a bit to have these made and my pricing for this first run represents zero profit. I'm just breaking even if I sell all of them.
    Last edited by teamwisconsin; 07.27.23 at 5:04 PM.
    Ethan Shippert

Default Fork fixture

Tony-
    The first two pictures are of the assembled FT fixture. The third and fourth pictures are of the Mk fixtures as they ship (disassembled) and the final picture is of the Mk fixture with studs installed.

If it helps make the sale, I would gladly make an instruction sheet on how to use one of these. The short version is- you measure the "case depth" which includes using a straightedge across the back of the case to the face of the pinion bearing, then use shims on EITHER the bearing face in the fixture or the studs to match the fixture to the case depth of the actual transaxle. The point of the fork fixture is to allow you to set the fore/aft positions of the forks so you have proper engagement of the dog rings to the gears. At the same time you are insuring that your shift rails are set so there is no binding on the rail ends where the selector finger rides, or the forks are misaligned causing a binding or dragging.

Effectively, this allows you to change a duff shift fork, or check for proper setup and functionality of your shift rails and forks.

I wanted to test the market for saleability of the fork fixtures before I made pinion depth tools. Judging by the tepid reaction these fixtures have gotten, I doubt I will make pinion depth tools. I know these fixtures aren't cheap, but it cost quite a bit to have these made and my pricing for this first run represents zero profit. I'm just breaking even if I sell all of them.

Ethan

ive sent a pm.

Tom

FT fixture sold, two Mk fixtures remaining
    Ethan Shippert

Liked: 141

Default shims

I use Mcmaster Carr ring shim sets on the studs to adjust the case depth.

Default FT shift fork fixture

Received the FT fixture today, it is very well made and looks to be just as described by Ethan. He even supplied shims so the tool can be adjusted exactly to my (or any other) bearing carrier. This tool replicates the Hewland tool in its fitnent so it should work very well. As my FT 200 is currently new I don’t need to use the tool. However these Hewland style tools are very rare and difficult to find, so I purchased this now. Thanks Ethan!!

Tom

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 59

• I have ONE FT fixture left. It is complete with USED pinion/bearing, clamp plate and hardware. Ready to use. (can also be used for FG with different pinion). EDIT - SOLD!

Ethan --

I am interested in one of the MK fixtures & I sent a PM on ApexSpeed with my direct contact info.

Thanks,
    Lee

Thread Information