Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Default ECU location in an RF01?

The ECU in my RF01 is velcroed t the bodywork at my left shoulder.
    Considering moving it to give me more room.

Considering behind me/lower back since there is about 4 inches of seat foam there.

Does everyone use the same location? If not, where?
    Any issues I'm missing behind me?

Liked: 995

Your placement is gong to be limited by the reach of the harness unless you make an extension. Keep it away from heat and vibration. In the Citation I have mine mounted forward of the front instrument roll bar on "p" clamps hanging from the frame tubes.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 21

That's exactly where I had mine mounted. Carved out a place in my lower seat back for it. Worked great..........bob

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by negron View Post
    That's exactly where I had mine mounted. Carved out a place in my lower seat back for it. Worked great..........bob
    Thanks.... I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doin sumpin sdupid

I'm thinking about riveting a small piece of alum to the removeable X bar (in front of the fuel cell) and then velcroing the ECU to that....

Liked: 78

Default ECU ambient air temp sensor port

Hey guys:

The ECU case has a very small pin hole near one of the front corners that is designed to allow ambient air into the casing for a temperature sensor. One of my spare ECU's even has a sticker around this hole saying not to cover the hole.

Recently we asked QS about this, and were informed that this hole is to measure ambient air temperature, and if it is covered up or clogged, the ECU defaults to using 75 F in its' air fuel map,

I would think if you put the ECU behind the driver, this could cause a faulty reading in the ECU.

Liked: 3322

Quote Originally Posted by douglap1 View Post
    Hey guys:

The ECU case has a very small pin hole near one of the front corners that is designed to allow ambient air into the casing for a temperature sensor. One of my spare ECU's even has a sticker around this hole saying not to cover the hole.

Recently we asked QS about this, and were informed that this hole is to measure ambient air temperature, and if it is covered up or clogged, the ECU defaults to using 75 F in its' air fuel map,

I would think if you put the ECU behind the driver, this could cause a faulty reading in the ECU.
    Measuring ambient air temperature makes no sense to me - almost anywhere you could put it would not be at ambient temperature. Plus that hole is way too small to get any airflow. The only thing it could be, IMO, is a hole to reference ambient air pressure or to assure that there is never a vacuum or excess pressure inside the ECU. You will see a similar small hole/vent somewhere on any pressure sensor, pressure gauge, or diaphragm.

In any case, it should always be left unobstructed.
    Last edited by DaveW; 05.18.23 at 11:36 AM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 78

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Measuring ambient air temperature makes no sense to me - almost anywhere you could put it would not be at ambient temperature. Plus that hole is way too small to get any airflow. The only thing it could be, IMO, is a hole to reference ambient air pressure or to assure that there is never a vacuum or excess pressure inside the ECU. You will see a similar small hole/vent somewhere on any pressure sensor, pressure gauge, or diaphragm.

I certainly agree with your logic, and perhaps it really is for an ambient pressure rather temperature measurement. However, my prep shop told me that QS told them that it was for "temperature", so I was just passing that along.

I thought the sensor in the air box was ambient temp.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    In it's current position, my left arm/suit are up against the face of the ECU (and that 'vent').
    Little if any airflow with me leaning on it.

I figure behind the seat (not with the seat material covering it) there is decent ambient air. Can't be any worse!

I think the 'do not cover' rule means do not put any mounting tape (or the like) over it.

Liked: 3322

I certainly agree with your logic, and perhaps it really is for an ambient pressure rather temperature measurement. However, my prep shop told me that QS told them that it was for "temperature", so I was just passing that along.
    Another thing to consider - there is an air temperature sensor inside the required QS air filter box, and the ECU uses that to adjust the fuel map to the current ambient temperature.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Thread Information