Liked: 17

Default AP LD20 calipers vs Wilwood

Can anyone give me insight as to which you think is better or are they different at all?

I am looking at the AP aluminum LD20 against the Wilwood aluminum model.

Thank you

Chris

Liked: 610

Default AP or Wilwood

The AP (LD-20) caliper is a Mono-block, the Wilwood is a traditional multi-piece design.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3322

Quote Originally Posted by kea View Post
    The AP (LD-20) caliper is a Mono-block, the Wilwood is a traditional multi-piece design.
    From an engineering viewpoint, a properly-designed multi-piece aluminum caliper can be as stiff, or even stiffer, than an aluminum mono-block caliper. The reason it could be stiffer is that the steel bolts have a 3x higher modulus than aluminum and so the multi-piece assembly, properly-designed, could be stiffer.

Proper design depends on the bolt clamping force being high enough so the parts of the multi-piece never separate.

So, IMO, either type could be better, but not because of multi-piece vs mono-block construction.
    Dave Weitzenhof

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 610

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    From an engineering viewpoint, a properly-designed multi-piece aluminum caliper can be as stiff, or even stiffer, than an aluminum mono-block caliper. The reason it could be stiffer is that the steel bolts have a 3x higher modulus than aluminum and so the multi-piece assembly, properly-designed, could be stiffer. Proper design depends on the bolt clamping force being high enough so the parts of the multi-piece never separate. So, IMO, either type could be better, but not because of multi-piece vs mono-block construction.
    Key here is "could be", "properly-designed". Not sure that a low volume, low end (profit) piece like this would qualify.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    Can anyone give me insight as to which you think is better or are they different at all?

I am looking at the AP aluminum LD20 against the Wilwood aluminum model.

Thank you

Chris
    I ran the AP calipers on my 86 Reynard SF and liked them. When I sold it and bought a 94 Van Diemen the Wilwoods had come out. At a savings of $135 per caliper I decided to give the Wilwoods a try and after running them for 4 seasons I've been happy with them.

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by kea View Post
    Key here is "could be", "properly-designed". Not sure that a low volume, low end (profit) piece like this would qualify.
    I suppose I'd hope Wilwood applied the knowledge they have gain in their 45 years of business designing and manufacturing thousands of calipers when they designed and built the WLD20s and didn't simply pull it out of their a.. umm... hat.

11. The following 3 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    I suppose I'd hope Wilwood applied the knowledge they have gain in their 45 years of business designing and manufacturing thousands of calipers when they designed and built the WLD20s and didn't simply pull it out of their a.. umm... hat.
    Also, there was an ApexSpeed thread that commented that Wilwood communicated with a very knowledgeable source (I don't know who) to optimize the design of the WLD20's. As above, I've heard/read nothing but good reports on them. If my Alcon LD20 clones (developed for the Radon and since discontinued) develop issues, I'd buy Wilwoods (~1/3 the price of my Alcons) to replace them.

Link: https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...l=1#post643478
    Last edited by DaveW; 05.04.23 at 1:05 PM. Reason: added link
    Dave Weitzenhof

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 9

From an engineering viewpoint, a properly-designed multi-piece aluminum caliper can be as stiff, or even stiffer, than an aluminum mono-block caliper. The reason it could be stiffer is that the steel bolts have a 3x higher modulus than aluminum and so the multi-piece assembly, properly-designed, could be stiffer.

Proper design depends on the bolt clamping force being high enough so the parts of the multi-piece never separate.

So, IMO, either type could be better, but not because of multi-piece vs mono-block construction.
    Years ago my experience with trying both mono block AP LD20 on the rear and Wilwood Dynalite two piece calipers on the front I came to the conclusion that mono block was better (stiffer) because of how much bias would change to the AP's on the rear when hot. I eventually went with AP's all around. However now I really think like you said it depends on the design and materials. I found an article by Caroll Smith that concurs with this opinion. https://www.brakes-shop.com/brakeped...piece-calipers

I did a quick search to see what the price difference would by and Primus has the AP on sale for $375, Wilwood WLD-20 for $232 or with new thermlock pistons for $312 a $64/caliper difference from AP.

For me on my DSR the AP LD20 mono block worked great. I have not tried the Wilwood LD20's.

Lutrell

Quote Originally Posted by Lutrell View Post
    Years ago my experience with trying both mono block AP LD20 on the rear and Wilwood Dynalite two piece calipers on the front I came to the conclusion that mono block was better (stiffer) because of how much bias would change to the AP's on the rear when hot...
    Bias changing like this has more to do with temperature of the disk and pads front vs rear than flex. Flex would be felt in more travel in the pedal, and w/o knowing which side of the balance bar was moving more you wouldn't know whether it was front or rear or both that caused it.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

The reality is that only the elite of club racers will ever be able to utilize the benefits of stiffer brake calipers. I certainly include myself in that generalization. I would suggest that price, availability, and support should be the determining factors in selecting brake calipers.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

17. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 24

I swapped from the ICP LD20s to Wilwood calipers at the beginning of this year. I would say there is a noticeable difference in my pedal firmness. Between the ICP and Wilwoods, the Wilwoods are definitely stiffer.

Also, there was an ApexSpeed thread that commented that Wilwood communicated with a very knowledgeable source (I don't know who) to optimize the design of the WLD20's. As above, I've heard/read nothing but good reports on them. If my Alcon LD20 clones (developed for the Radon and since discontinued) develop issues, I'd buy Wilwoods (~1/3 the price of my Alcons) to replace them.

Dave, what are the current thoughts on the master cylinder sizes. My car was a DSTP car and it came with 0.7 front and 0.75 rear. I feel like I have to push too hard and give up some feel as a result early in the braking zone when downforce is high. Is everyone running 5/8 for LD20s front and rear?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Silver View Post
    Dave, what are the current thoughts on the master cylinder sizes. My car was a DSTP car and it came with 0.7 front and 0.75 rear. I feel like I have to push too hard and give up some feel as a result early in the braking zone when downforce is high. Is everyone running 5/8 for LD20s front and rear?
    I am running 5/8 MC's front and rear, but my caliper pistons are 1.75 front and 1.375 rear. That gives a very close to centered bias bar.

However, your comment on "early in the braking zone" means to me your brake pad compound may not have enough initial bite to allow you full braking ability at the 1st instant of high-speed braking. Many compounds are like that in that they won't give max CF until hot.

I run Carbotech XP20's. Below is a review I've posted several times:

o They have a high CF
    o The initial bite is great, allowing high-G braking from initial application
    o The CF is constant throughout the braking event, throughout a session/race and from new to almost worn out – Many other pad compounds' CF are not constant and don't work until hot
    o The CT release characteristics are super (relates to modulation, below) - brake torque is exactly proportional to pedal force. That was my biggest complaint about most pads I tried - their release characteristics sucked, meaning they still were braking hard as I released the pedal force, causing the rear to step out at the end of the braking zone while turning in and brakes to easily lock up
    o Modulation is easy with the CT's because of the release characteristics - I can make the tires be just on the edge of lockup (tires slowing down but not stopping)
    o Compared to the lower # CT compounds, the XP20 compound is stiffer (higher modulus) making the pedal action have less springiness – this makes the whole brake system feel stiffer and easier to modulate
    o CT's are rotor-friendly
    Dave Weitzenhof

I am running 5/8 MC's front and rear, but my caliper pistons are 1.75 front and 1.375 rear. That gives a very close to centered bias bar.

However, your comment on "early in the braking zone" means to me your brake pad compound may not have enough initial bite to allow you full braking ability at the 1st instant of high-speed braking. Many compounds are like that in that they won't give max CF until hot.

I run Carbotech XP20's. Below is a review I've posted several times:

o They have a high CF
    o The initial bite is great, allowing high-G braking from initial application
    o The CF is constant throughout the braking event, throughout a session/race and from new to almost worn out – Many other pad compounds' CF are not constant and don't work until hot
    o The CT release characteristics are super (relates to modulation, below) - brake torque is exactly proportional to pedal force. That was my biggest complaint about most pads I tried - their release characteristics sucked, meaning they still were braking hard as I released the pedal force, causing the rear to step out at the end of the braking zone while turning in and brakes to easily lock up
    o Modulation is easy with the CT's because of the release characteristics - I can make the tires be just on the edge of lockup (tires slowing down but not stopping)
    o Compared to the lower # CT compounds, the XP20 compound is stiffer (higher modulus) making the pedal action have less springiness – this makes the whole brake system feel stiffer and easier to modulate
    o CT's are rotor-friendly
    Based on some of the discussion here and your comments I switched to Carbotech and put on the XP20's last weekend - so only one weekend so far. They were definitely better than the PFC 13, that I thought were terrible and much worse than the old PFC 93 compound that I used for years.

So I want to wait a few more races and see how it goes. I did a careful job of prepping the rotors using Mike at Carbotech's guidance. I was also going to put on front/rear force sensors to be a little more scientific.

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 473

I don't think I'm talking out of turn to let you know that Wilwood worked with Marty Knoll (of MK Technologies, of whom I'm sure many of you know) on the development of the WLD-20 and WLD-19 calipers that were eventually released.

My RF98 currently has LD20s front and rear and if I should ever decide to change, it will be to Wilwood's WLD-20s...

...or WLD-20s front and WLD-19 in the rear (although that would mean changing master cylinder sizes as well).

24. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 482

Default Radial mount?

Am I correct that the Wilwoods are only available in lug mount, no radial mount?

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    Am I correct that the Wilwoods are only available in lug mount, no radial mount?
    I was just browsing online for calipers similar to LD20's.

Wilwood has a different two piston caliper with radial mount.
    https://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/Cal...no=120-13864-N

Pegasus list these as FF and FC legal.
    https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...upID=CALIPERWW

Or you can get a Performance Friction for just $988.99
    https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...pID=CALIPERPFC

Contributing Member
    Liked: 473

Quote Originally Posted by Lutrell View Post
    I was just browsing online for calipers similar to LD20's.

Wilwood has a different two piston caliper with radial mount.
    https://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/Cal...no=120-13864-N

Pegasus list these as FF and FC legal.
    https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...upID=CALIPERWW

Or you can get a Performance Friction for just $988.99
    https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...pID=CALIPERPFC
    I think you'll find if you do some searching that that particular Wilwood caliper (the PowerLite) has been discussed on ApexSpeed before, and the reviews weren't positive.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Primus had the best deal on the WLDs. I'm sure Brad will match if you find them cheaper.

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    I think you'll find if you do some searching that that particular Wilwood caliper (the PowerLite) has been discussed on ApexSpeed before, and the reviews weren't positive.
    This isn't the Powerlite, those are the radial mounted ones.

Thread Information