Liked: 4

Default WTB: Zink, Royale, larger Club Ford

I’m looking for a Zink, Royale, or any other “big guy” Club Ford car that could fit a 6’6” 220lb guy - preferably in SoCal but would travel to NorCal / Arizona to try and fit in a car before making any decision.

Email me - max(at)minshull.com

Liked: 492

Default CF

Add Crossle to your list. A lot of them around SoCal.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 10

Default Still Looking.

Max placed this wanted ad for me while my account was being verified. As he stated, Im 6'5" 225 which is disadvantageous for racing as it is. From what Ive read and seen, it seems as though some of the better club ford chassis for guys my size would be:

Zink Z10/Z16
    Lola T540

Im open to any big guy cars that have worked for other guys my size. Anxiously waiting for the right car to pop up so I can get to racing! Thanks in advance for any leads

My email is claycarr911@gmail.com

Liked: 160

Clay,

At 6'-5" almost any Club Ford you purchase will need a tall man roll bar installed. It will be a challenge finding one that you are safely under the roll bar. If you can't find one that already has a tall man roll bar, you will likely need a local shop to install one for you. You may want to check the rules of the local vintage race club to see what they require for roll bar height above your helmet.

There are other things to consider like shoulder width and shoe size that may also impact your car choice. The best thing you can do is try a few cars on for size. I have found that the Zinc Z10's are the most tall/big man friendly but everyone is built a little different. I suggest you sit in as many cars as you can (with the seat out) to see if you can find one you are comfortable in.

You may want to go to a local race shop. They will likely have a few cars there that you can sit in. You can also ask if they are able to add a tall man roll bar to whatever car you purchase if it does not have one.

Good luck, Joe

Default Big guy car

Quote Originally Posted by pooch776 View Post
    Clay,

At 6'-5" almost any Club Ford you purchase will need a tall man roll bar installed. It will be a challenge finding one that you are safely under the roll bar. If you can't find one that already has a tall man roll bar, you will likely need a local shop to install one for you. You may want to check the rules of the local vintage race club to see what they require for roll bar height above your helmet.

There are other things to consider like shoulder width and shoe size that may also impact your car choice. The best thing you can do is try a few cars on for size. I have found that the Zinc Z10's are the most tall/big man friendly but everyone is built a little different. I suggest you sit in as many cars as you can (with the seat out) to see if you can find one you are comfortable in.

You may want to go to a local race shop. They will likely have a few cars there that you can sit in. You can also ask if they are able to add a tall man roll bar to whatever car you purchase if it does not have one.

Good luck, Joe
    Joe,
    These are all really good thoughts. I have accepted that some roll bar/chassis modifications will likely be necessary. I’m ok going down that road on the right car. I have a 35” inseam and a 13 shoe. But sitting in more than a few cars is definitely sage advice. Seems like a Z10 is the car to find. Actively on the hunt! Thanks for the wisdom and happy holidays!

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

I have been gathering info for my unofficial Citation-Zink Registry (https://redroadracing.com/zinkregistry) and from what I understand, the Z16 might be a little more roomy that the Z10. Unfortunately, CO is the farthest west I've heard about Z16s. I know of a Z10 running with VARA but not sure if that owner has contemplated selling. I think I've located most Z16's (18 out of potentially 20 made?) but only a few of the Z10s (over 90 frames sold in kit/assembled/FSV form). Not sure how many on the west coast but not a lot so far.

The tallest guy I know runs a modified Royale RP-21. I think he's something like 6'8" and very slender.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    I have been gathering info for my unofficial Citation-Zink Registry (https://redroadracing.com/zinkregistry) and from what I understand, the Z16 might be a little more roomy that the Z10. Unfortunately, CO is the farthest west I've heard about Z16s. I know of a Z10 running with VARA but not sure if that owner has contemplated selling. I think I've located most Z16's (18 out of potentially 20 made?) but only a few of the Z10s (over 90 frames sold in kit/assembled/FSV form). Not sure how many on the west coast but not a lot so far.

The tallest guy I know runs a modified Royale RP-21. I think he's something like 6'8" and very slender.
    Garey,
    im actually in talks with a west coast owner who I’m trying to convince to fork over a z16 in your registry! Hoping to convince him to sell. I’ll add the RP 21 to my list of potential big guys chassis! Thanks for the info and happy holidays!

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 143

Default 6'0" in a Z10

I just took these yesterday of a 6'0" driver in a Z10 32" inseam
    20221221_113842.jpg20221221_113838.jpg

Liked: 160

Be careful, Some of the Zink Z16's have inboard rear suspension and would therefore not qualify as a Club Ford. What do your local club rules list as acceptable??

Best, Joe

Quote Originally Posted by scott fairchild View Post
    I just took these yesterday of a 6'0" driver in a Z10 32" inseam
    Scott,
    these pictures are very helpful. Looks like I’ll have a little room for longer legs. Or at least as good a shot as any other chassis.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Be careful, Some of the Zink Z16's have inboard rear suspension and would therefore not qualify as a Club Ford. What do your local club rules list as acceptable??

Best, Joe
    Joe,
    good thought! I would be running Crossflow cup and CSRG in CA which requires outboard suspension. So thanks for the reminder!

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrownCar View Post
    Joe,
    good thought! I would be running Crossflow cup and CSRG in CA which requires outboard suspension. So thanks for the reminder!
    Just a heads up, Crossflow only requires outboard on one end. Cars like the Van Diemen RF81, Royale RP24, RP 26, RP31, Zink Z10, and Z16 (providing the suspension is outboard on the rear) are all legal to run with us.
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by teamwisconsin View Post
    Just a heads up, Crossflow only requires outboard on one end. Cars like the Van Diemen RF81, Royale RP24, RP 26, RP31, Zink Z10, and Z16 (providing the suspension is outboard on the rear) are all legal to run with us.
    thanks for the reply Ethan! Keep an eye out for me on any cars that may work. May even have you do the prep work if you find a car up there!! Looking forward to getting out on the track for 2023 with you and max

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

Be careful, Some of the Zink Z16's have inboard rear suspension and would therefore not qualify as a Club Ford.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamwisconsin View Post
    I'm not sure any of the remaining Z16's are still outboard rear. I think Steve Lathrop have been building the original outboard parts to convert last 3 or 4 inboard cars in the last few years, including my project Z16 that I've been threatening to build back since I found it 12 years ago!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    I'm not sure any of the remaining Z16's are still outboard rear. I think Steve Lathrop have been building the original outboard parts to convert last 3 or 4 inboard cars in the last few years, including my project Z16 that I've been threatening to build back since I found it 12 years ago!
    nice to know there is some parts support if I am able to purchase a Zink.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1490

are you licensed yet? VARA has a school in a few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    are you licensed yet? VARA has a school in a few weeks
    I’ll be there in my crusty old brown 911

Default Update 1/23

Hi all,

Wanted to give an update for those that chimed in throughout my search. I was able to purchase the (ex) Jeff Rothman Royale RP31via Art Hebert. The car will be picked up in the next week or so and brought down to Monise Motors where I can begin test fitting. From some conversations with current racers, I felt safe taking the chance on it. Will report back once Ive had a chance to test fit.

I am still on the hunt for a Crossle 30/32/35/40/45F as my dad and I would like to each have a car to race on race weekends.

Happy New year to all and thanks again for being an incredibly welcoming group so far!
    Attached Images Attached Images

24. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 324

Nice car. I hope mine ends up as nice as yours.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 955

Default Congratulations!

So glad Jeffrey's great car has found a home. Enjoy your new addiction!
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

28. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 39

Default Crossle 32f

I have an immaculate Crossle 32 available. Virtually Brand New.

Text me at two three nine 839 seven seven nine eight

30. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1403

Best, Joe
    There were no Z16s originally built with inboard rear suspension. The inboard suspension was an update modification.

I have built the components to convert quite a few Z16s back to the original outboard suspension.

Currently, I am building a new rear upright for which the VW parts are available through the VW dealers. Those uprights can be used for both the Z16 outboard and Z10. The VW parts that were used in the Zink, Lola and Citation cars built in the 70's and 80's are generally no longer available from any source. I have come up with parts to replace those parts that are not available at your VW store..

32. The following 4 users liked this post:

Default Case Closed

Thanks to everyone for all of the help and leads. We were able to agree on the purchase of a second car, a Crossle 32F. Absolutely thrilled to have a fantastic pair of cars to do some father and son racing this season. See you out there!
    Too Tall for this hobby

-Crossle 32F

34. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information