Contributing Member
    Liked: 292

Default Sebring Attraction?

This weekends Sebring event has a very large number of entrants. What is the draw? It can't be the track itself. Is it the time of year for the event or weather?

I would never put this track on my list.

Brian

Contributing Member
    Liked: 39

Default Dozens of responses.....

Brian.

There are dozens of responses for this question.

I'll stick with the most probable answer, you live 3000 miles away.

Just so that you don't feel awkward, I'll never go to Laguna because I'm scared of heights.

3. The following 10 users liked this post:

Liked: 531

Brian,
    Why would you never put Sebring on your list? Please exclude distance in your answer.

I'm genuinely curious..

Mike

Liked: 91

Turn 1 would be the attraction for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contributing Member CheckeredFlag's Avatar
    Liked: 125

Brian,

I was wondering the same thing.
    Dean Fehribach
    Car owner: SCCA Enterprises FE2 chassis #037.
    Car owner: 2017 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Autocross STU

Liked: 34

The history of the track if you're going to be a spectator. The history and the challenges of the track if you're driving it. This track is the home of the 12 Hours of Sebring. That's seventy-one years ago. Respect the bumps. Because the track started as an old airstrip, it's part concrete and part asphalt and it makes for a challenging drive. The weather is questionable this weekend. It's going to be cold on Sunday when I'm going. Cold for Florida anyway. Asking why go to Sebring is like asking why go to Watkins Glen. Just my opinion. There're currently 357 entries for this weekend. A packed house.
    Last edited by whadeduck; 01.13.23 at 10:26 AM.

Liked: 3787

For me it goes back to history. Its in my roots. I first attended the Sebring 12 Hour in 1963. Was a spectator for decades. Crewed for teams racing in the event many times. Great stories.

T1 and T 17 are famous much like the "carousel" , or the "climbing esses".

So, I had to race on the iconic course.

That said, recently I was asked to list the top 15 courses that I have raced on... Sebring was around 12th. I like elevation changes on my courses.

Obviously the January date draws snowbirds down, and many create extended vacations around the event.

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 482

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    For me it goes back to history. Its in my roots. I first attended the Sebring 12 Hour in 1963. Was a spectator for decades. Crewed for teams racing in the event many times. Great stories.

T1 and T 17 are famous much like the "carousel" , or the "climbing esses".

So, I had to race on the iconic course.

That said, recently I was asked to list the top 15 courses that I have raced on... Sebring was around 12th. I like elevation changes on my courses.

Obviously the January date draws snowbirds down, and many create extended vacations around the event.
    To turn Brian’s question around a little and some more questions/comments:

Why so many cars? Sebring had the most of the other Majors in 2022 - even eclipsing Road America which was the 2nd largest other than VIR which was hosting the Runoffs. (DATA)

Homestead was in the top 5 which gives credence to the vacation theory.

Also the ability to get early points (although with 100+ cars in Spec Miata????)

Does the points system benefit big fields? If not - why only 104 cars at Thompson - would seem to be easy picking?

Here are the top from 2022

Virginia International Raceway 409
    Sebring International Raceway 374
    Road America 367
    Road Atlanta 280
    Homestead Motorsports Park 243
    Watkins Glen International 242
    Circuit of The Americas 227

Every other one was under 200 with some in the low double digits…..

Laguna looks like it did not even have a Major last year - would it not be on the must race track?

Lime Rock has not had a Major/National for many years - Any guesses what it would draw today?

I wonder how many West Coast cars are living on the East Coast - easier to fly to the car than transport it….

ChrisZ
    Last edited by FVRacer21; 01.12.23 at 2:38 PM. Reason: clean up spacing

Liked: 608

Not only an early chance at points.......but for many an early chance to start sorting out the car and then go back up North, which also makes it a sort of working vacation away from snow etc.
    I doubt many consider Sebring long course a bucket list thing.....but I have taken Turn 1 flat out, which was an obvious challenge when I got to thinking about it. I'm an old Florida boy, so I grew up always hearing about/watching Sebring....so I had to get out there eventually. Sebring short course is pretty much a point & shoot track - but it's great in its own way because you've got to drive the heck out of the car to be fast and there's no place in the circuit where you can relax for more than about three seconds

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4363

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    For me it goes back to history.

I have raced at Mosport, Mont Tremblant, Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta, and Road America. Non of these wondrous historic tracks can compare to the sense of history that Sebring exudes.

The track is a man's track. Both car and driver need to be tough. It is a shame that it is 1500 miles away. I love the place!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

14. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 59

Me too Greg. It beats everything up; Cars and Drivers. But it's a fun track and iconic. My home track for 22 consecutive years with 5 or 6 different cars. Still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    I have raced at Mosport, Mont Tremblant, Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta, and Road America. Non of these wondrous historic tracks can compare to the sense of history that Sebring exudes.

The track is a man's track. Both car and driver need to be tough. It is a shame that it is 1500 miles away. I love the place!

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 65

It's the second week of January. What other historic race track has an SCCA Majors event this time of year? To have any similar weather, you would have to be in the south of Texas or southern California. .... oh... nevermind.

Liked: 66

Quote Originally Posted by TedV View Post
    It's the second week of January. What other historic race track has an SCCA Majors event this time of year? To have any similar weather, you would have to be in the south of Texas or southern California. .... oh... nevermind.
    Just saying, there's a Majors race in Texas the week after. (Sebring's a Super Tour though.)

Thread Information