Liked: 324

Default VW pinion bearing id from case part number??

Is it possible to use the VW case part number cast into a case to determine if the pinion bearing is a ring-nut or 4-bolt style without removing the side cover?

my current case has a small crack near a mounting bolt and I figured one of the cases for sale may be a better option than fixing my case. I would rather not have to pull a lot of parts off to determine which I have if there is an easier way.

thanks
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Liked: 40

The VW casings with two drain plugs are 4 bolt bearings, the ones with a single drain plug are ring nut. i.e. the 4 bolt casings have the extra drain plug nearest the rear bearing carrier. Obviously in the Hewland application these are on the top and are only drain plugs in the original application. Note that there are different clutch arm/shaft sizes and types, so make sure you get these with the casing.

Liked: 324

Thank you! That is exactly what I needed. I will be using an annular throw out bearing so as long as it has the 3 threaded bosses, I should be ok

just looked, mine has a single drain so it would be a ring-nut style...
    Last edited by scorp997; 11.07.22 at 5:48 PM.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 924

you can also determine type of pinion bearing by removing the gear stacks and then you can look right at it.

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information