Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 160

Default VD Steering link for universal upright needed

On our way home from the runoffs. We had minor damage in the race and I want to have spares. I am looking for at least one left side long steering link for late model VD. This is the link that bolts to the block and allows the use of the same upright on the LF as the RR with different blocks attached through the four top studs. It is the black piece held on with the two camber bolts and with the toe link attached to the outer end near the brake rotor.

I used my last spare but have multiple cars that use them and a friend looking as well. Need a left side now but open to all you might have R or L.

If anyone needs the short version of this link I have multiple nice/new on the shelf that I will never use.

All leads appreciated.

JM
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Classifieds Super License Skelly's Avatar
    Liked: 82

Default Toe Link

Would Primus racing carry that Part? Or is this a custom made part?

Sean

Default Steering arm

Great question - I thought it was a VD part - I have checked with two dealers and they don't have it and I have not found anyone that can tell me the origin (VD vs aftermarket). Thus my post.

This is the second or third car I have had with them on it but always had some spares and never purchased one outright. If you run a rear upright on the front with adapter block it is necessary to match the common geometry of the newer rabbit ear upright.

Dazed and confused...........; /

JM
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Liked: 59

Quote Originally Posted by Messenger Racing View Post
    Need a left side now but open to all you might have R or L.
    I will look thru my spares, I know I have a couple of these, but I don't believe the rear ones I have are interchangeable with the fronts. I did get some spares for the fronts from Brad at Primus.

Default Steering arm

Yes please check - Brad doesn't have them and is not familiar with where they came from in the past. The one he sells does not locate the toe link as close to the rotor - it is about 1 inch shorter steer arm setup and not the zero ackerman set up in the picture. Neither did Britian West know the source.

JM
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Liked: 59

Quote Originally Posted by Messenger Racing View Post
    Yes please check - Brad doesn't have them and is not familiar with where they came from in the past. The one he sells does not locate the toe link as close to the rotor - it is about 1 inch shorter steer arm setup and not the zero ackerman set up in the picture. Neither did Britian West know the source.

JM
    The steering arm I use is not the same as the rear toe bracket. Brad sells two different steering arms, one is what he calls the USF2000 style and the other is an older style which I use. Note that the older style is not interchangeable from left to right, the USF2000 style is. I'm not sure my rear brackets are interchangeable, I think not. The holes that mount to the uprights are slightly offset from one side to the other.

The first picture is a comparison of the USF2000 and older steering brackets, the USF2000 is the darker one. The second picture is what I'm using, the older style. The third picture is my rear suspension, note the toe link brackets are straight, no hook for the toe link like the front.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default toe bracket

"The steering arm I use is not the same as the rear toe bracket. Brad sells two different steering arms, one is what he calls the USF2000 style and the other is an older style which I use. Note that the older style is not interchangeable from left to right, the USF2000 style is. I'm not sure my rear brackets are interchangeable, I think not. The holes that mount to the uprights are slightly offset from one side to the other.

The first picture is a comparison of the USF2000 and older steering brackets, the USF2000 is the darker one. The second picture is what I'm using, the older style. The third picture is my rear suspension, note the toe link brackets are straight, no hook for the toe link like the front."

Thank you for the pics. You are correct - the rear toe bracket cannot be used on the front. The question I had was using a rear upright on the front utilizing a spacer block and the toe link - the toe link I have used for this process appears to no longer be available. In my original post you will see that I have an adapter block to mount the toe link on the rear style upright and then use that upright on the front of the car - this eliminates the need to carry as many spares (or the double ear style uprights).

In your case you are using the newer style Rabbit ear uprights on the front instead of a rear upright with adapter blocks. Both of the toe links you show can only be used with the front uprights like you have.

Thanks for studying it!

Jay
    Last edited by Messenger Racing; 10.25.22 at 2:16 PM.
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

I use the same part Lynn does. It looks like your part has a more dramatic bend/extension to attain the same connection position near the rotor.

Brad does sell the (universal) uprights with the block for front.
    https://www.primusracingparts.com/Va...ear_p_237.html
    and the blocks:
    https://www.primusracingparts.com/Bl...ht-_p_429.html

But I think they use the USF2000 steering arm on those.

https://velocityhaus.com/ might have something - but I could not see one with as dramatic a bend as yours.

http://rsport.us/?page_id=20 only has a setup for the rear toe link adjuster issue.

Thinking out loud...
    Could it possibly be an FE part? I can't find pictures but don't they use the same uprights?
    Maybe Elan?

Default Puzzle

It is just a puzzle isn't it!

The ones I use (in the photo of original post) match the geometry of the new style upright with the steering arm here:

https://www.primusracingparts.com/Fr...hts_p_392.html

the one I am looking for allows the modern geometry with using a universal front/rear upright.

No worries - sounds like they are no longer available - I do think it is interesting that I have had more than one car through my shop with them and yet I cannot find the original source.

thanks all - we will work out plan B.

JM
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Thread Information