Liked: 857

Default 29th American Road Race of Champions (ARRC 2022) is OPEN!

Just what some of you are waiting for.. ARRC registration is NOW OPEN on MSR. The direct link is

http://msreg.com/2022ARRCAtlanta
    Supps and schedule information is on the first page of MSR.
    Be there or BE SQUARE (I heard that somewhere in my past.)

Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 1124

Whenever I see this event title, I think back to my first ARRC as a kid in 1972 - then the CSPRRC, and my attending 12 of the next 14 held at Flowery Branch.

How do the Vee fields compare these days to the Runoffs?
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Liked: 857

Well.... of course this is NOT THE Runoffs although it IS the same NAME as the original Runoffs back in the early days between Riverside and Daytona. This is the "Regional Runoffs".. of a sort. When the Runoffs left Road Atlanta, the Atlanta Region developed this event as a "national type Divisional" uhh... 'big event' SIMILAR to the runoffs - originally mostly for the IT classes, but it has grown over the years and now includes all SCCA GCR classes .. and the occasional 'non-scca class'.

SO.. back to the question. The number of vees that show up depends to a degree on WHERE the 'real' Runoffs are held. This year, with the Runoffs being at VIR, most 'eastern' vees that go anywhere will be at VIR and probably pass on the ARRC. In the past we've had as many as 12 or so at the ARRC, but I would expect more like, maybe 5 or 8 this year. Since it's run more or less like any other Divisional (LOTS OF COMBINED CLASSES in groups), it will depend somewhat on how many participants register for the small OW group - F5/6, FF, CF, FST, and FV.

Attendance is down this year at every event I have attended (all Majors). In my case, mostly due to the astounding increase in the cost of diesel fuel - doubling since last year. So, we dropped ALL of the distant (> 400 miles) events this year .. and my bank account is reaping the benefits . As much as I enjoy the racing, there is a limit as to what I can truly afford. The ARRC used to draw from all across the country .. and even Canada! That attendance has waned a bit in recent years as inflation has been on the rise along with Covid. The true RUNOFFS attendance is down quite a bit this year as well - total all classes of 528 at the moment.

Time will tell.
    Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1124

Thanks for the great reply, Steve!

I’ve long wished the Runoffs would return to Atlanta, but not sure there’s enough paddock space — or so I’ve been told.

It is encouraging to see 29 Vees entered at VIR so far. With a little luck, we’ll run there next year.

Thanks Again!
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Thread Information