Liked: 108

Default Outboard conversion

I recently picked up a car that was converted to outboard on both ends. Would this alone change the handling characteristics of the car ? Rocker locations are the same. I suspect the change was made to make it cff compliant .
    Was there a requirement at some point that cff cars had to be outboard front and rear?
    I'm inclined to go back to inboard front as the car is known for being pretty slippery
    Thanks
    Don

Liked: 48

Most likely converted to make it CFF compliant. Did it race in the Pacific Northwest? I pretty sure that is the only area that required this.

Ian
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

The CF rules are set by by individual Regions, it's not a Nationally-uniform rule set. They seem to have merged toward being very similar over the years but any organization can have fewer or additional requirements.

I've also heard of a Canadian group requiring all four corners being outboard and seem to recall an 81 VD in that configuration.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 182

We would enjoy some pictures of the conversion.

Thanks guys. Looks like the car has spent its life here in CenDiv. Perhaps someone will recognize the Shadow inspired paint scheme. The rear conversion is nicely done. Took a bit of engineering.
    A couple tabs were simply added to the front
    After taking some measurements looks like I can move the front shocks inboard. Eyelet location remains the same in both positions.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Looks factory to me. That car always had 4 outdoor shocks. I also raced a Gemini in Cendiv. John LaRue raced a Gemini in Cendiv. Jim Locke also raced a Gemini in Cendiv, he may still have his car.
    Edit:
    sorry, after a closer look, the front and rear suspension on your Gemini is nothing like the one I owned. I’m wondering if you have a 1982 model? It definitely looks like a modded rocker suspension to an outboard suspension.
    Last edited by Ian Lenhart; 07.24.22 at 2:23 PM.
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Another note, it doesn’t make sense that this was done to race Cendiv. The CFF rules for Cendiv has always been pretty minimal, at least one end has to be outboard and the R60 the spec tire. I’m wondering if the suspension didn’t work as well as the outboard (prs?)
    suspension on the earlier cars.
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Default 82 i

Yes model 82i
    Interestingly the photos in the first log book clearly shows outboard rear suspension with inboard front. Michael B drove it at Pocono and Summit point. Looks like Paul did the Nelson national in August .next log book entry was not until
    5-86

Default ÷

Obviously I dont know what division I'm in lol
    Let's try Great Lakes
    Thanks for the info

Thread Information