Liked: 4

Default Aluminum suspension parts?

My 91 Citation has steel suspension, except for the steering rods, which I think have been replaced somewhere along the line. Does anyone know if these were steel originally?

Another issue is that both rear lower track rods need to be replaced. One was repaired (not very pretty, either) and the other appears to be cracked. They are steel, and would need to be fabricated from what I see. I have looked on line and cannot find steel bolt in replacements, but these ones are an exact fit.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Alumi...ku=910351-19.5

Problem is, they are swedged aluminum, and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with running aluminum anywhere in my suspension.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks. In this picture, it's the lowest rod to the LH side of the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contributing Member
    Liked: 322

Assuming the rules allow aluminium (here in the UK all suspension arms must be steel), there is no reason not to use it, providing it is an appropriate grade.

I'm not sure 6061 would be strong enough in this application. Personally I would use 7075 components and consider turning from solid.

Fabrication of steel parts shouldn't be costly, especially as you have the originals to copy. 3/4" x 16g CDS would be okay, or you could go to a thinner wall with T45.

Liked: 3322

Default From the SCCA GCR FF/FC section:

9.1.1. Formula Car (FC/FF) Category Specifications
    7. Suspension
    Suspension is defined as the system of springs, shock absorbers, control arms, links, etc., supporting the
    vehicle on its axles. Sway bars, sway bar links, steering components, etc., are not considered as suspension in this section.

a. All suspension components shall be of steel or ferrous material, with the exception of hubs, hub
    adapters, hub carriers, bell cranks, pivot blocks, bearings, bushings, spring caps, abutment nuts, shock
    absorber caps and nuts, which may be of aluminum alloy. Material restrictions as set forth in Section
    B.2 above shall control.

Bold (I made it bold) text says no Aluminum suspension components except as noted.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    9.1.1. Formula Car (FC/FF) Category Specifications
    7. Suspension
    Suspension is defined as the system of springs, shock absorbers, control arms, links, etc., supporting the
    vehicle on its axles. Sway bars, sway bar links, steering components, etc., are not considered as suspension in this section.

a. All suspension components shall be of steel or ferrous material, with the exception of hubs, hub
    adapters, hub carriers, bell cranks, pivot blocks, bearings, bushings, spring caps, abutment nuts, shock
    absorber caps and nuts, which may be of aluminum alloy. Material restrictions as set forth in Section
    B.2 above shall control.

Bold (I made it bold) text says no Aluminum suspension components except as noted.
    OK thanks Dave. As it is, my only aluminum bits are the steering arms and the swaybar links, which is legal. I got a bunch of spares with the car, and all the rods are either too short for the rear, or too long for steering arms. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by tlracer View Post
    Assuming the rules allow aluminium (here in the UK all suspension arms must be steel), there is no reason not to use it, providing it is an appropriate grade.

I'm not sure 6061 would be strong enough in this application. Personally I would use 7075 components and consider turning from solid.

Fabrication of steel parts shouldn't be costly, especially as you have the originals to copy. 3/4" x 16g CDS would be okay, or you could go to a thinner wall with T45.
    Thanks. As Dave W pointed out it needs to be steel.

Liked: 956

Contact ICP/Citation - Richard Pare and Steve Lathrop
    https://icpcitation.com/cars.htm

The method he uses to fab the toe links ensures you get a good product. His prices are very reasonable. They build and supply bits for IndyCar teams.

I bought some suspension pieces and uprights from him. They were always perfect.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information