Liked: 4

Default Tire Cost? How long do they last?

Hi,

I am exploring the different race classes. I have looked and not found much information.

How much are a set of tires? How long do you expect them to last? Thanks for any help.

Liked: 138

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjedi View Post
    Hi,

I am exploring the different race classes. I have looked and not found much information.

How much are a set of tires? How long do you expect them to last? Thanks for any help.
    Depends is the proper answer.

Do you want to be the same speed each time out? Then 1 or 2 heat cycles. Do you just want to have fun, maybe a full season.

Street tires last longer or should I say are more consistent than slicks.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. Fun above all. I am not Fangio, just looking to have fun. Thanks.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Hi,

Are you racing in Canada? or the US? SCCA (spec tire), FRP (spec tire) or ?

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

The SCCA FC spec tire costs $730 a set. I have talked to fast guys who have gotten 12 heat cycles out of a set.

Liked: 98

Check out my spreadsheet of costs for 28 classes. As stated by those who race in them.

I updated FC according to the tire information given in this thread.

Greg
    Last edited by holmberg; 11.24.21 at 1:00 AM.

7. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4363

Most newbies who are referencing Fangio won't be hard on tires

You will probably be replacing tires because it's a new season ( or several seasons), rather than because you wore them out.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 138

When I ran my F2000 in libre i used 2 sets of used pirelli per season. 1 set of new would probably last.

That's 8 races

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Contributing Member
    Liked: 902

Lola 492 S2000 on Avon slicks. One set per weekend. Fronts will NOT go farther than that

March 78B FA. Lucky to last a weekend of vintage racing

Various FF's back in the Nationals days (RF 85, RF 93, DB1), GY slicks. One weekend plus a practice session the next weekend

In my experience, I have yet to race a slick tire that generally lasts more than a full race weekend WITHOUT a material degradation in lap times. Sure, you can keep driving on them for longer than that, but I've never really understood the logic of beating on a racecar with shagged tires......

VFF treaded tires are a whole different story, and seem to be able to last many race weekends without a discernable increase in lap times. The treaded Hoosiers I ran at the 50th were amazing, and went several more weekends after that quite easily. Which is one of the reasons I think that Club Ford/VFF is an excellent place to race...

cheers,
    BT

Liked: 229

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post
    Lola 492 S2000 on Avon slicks. One set per weekend. Fronts will NOT go farther than that

March 78B FA. Lucky to last a weekend of vintage racing

Various FF's back in the Nationals days (RF 85, RF 93, DB1), GY slicks. One weekend plus a practice session the next weekend

In my experience, I have yet to race a slick tire that generally lasts more than a full race weekend WITHOUT a material degradation in lap times. Sure, you can keep driving on them for longer than that, but I've never really understood the logic of beating on a racecar with shagged tires......
    Endurance racing?

When I ran 78 March in pro series it was at least two sets of tires a weekend. Same with Pro super Vee.

With FF used slicks were often used on test days to warm up or break in things.

There was one driver who ran a FA but had his tires living in tire warmers, was never blazingly fast believed it made the tires last longer. They will if you don't drive them that hard.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4363

If you go a traditional route like FF or FC, then you can disregard all the horror stories about 1 weekend of use. Several companies, specifically Hoosier, build tires good for multiple weekends of use by very fast guys, and a season for slower guys. They are built as spec tires, or with the goal of keeping spec tire rules away. The one exception may be the FM cars that appear to fit your car choice criteria. Again, dependent on driver speed, but FMs were notorious for rear tire wear.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Finally got around to reading this. I need to add up everything. Thanks again for the information, I am reminded again about how responsive and helpful the site is.

Yes I am in Canada.

"Lola 492 S2000 on Avon slicks. One set per weekend. Fronts will NOT go farther than that

March 78B FA. Lucky to last a weekend of vintage racing"

and

"When I ran 78 March in pro series it was at least two sets of tires a weekend. Same with Pro super Vee"

That is an expensive weekend!

The spread sheet is informative. Gives me a good idea.

Liked: 605

When Club Ford went to an R60 Hoosier spec tire it became apparent that you could run them down to cord.....meaning more than 12 weekends on a set....but how fast do you want to go? So even though the Class CF went to a spec tire about 17 years ago here in the SouthEast to save us all money, I watched after about the first year of the spec tire on the Sunday, Drivers who were on a set with maybe only four sessions on them go to a new set so as to gain maybe a whole one second a lap for the Sunday race because they had finished second in the Saturday race by half a second. At least with the FC spec tire one is supposed to run the same set all weekend - which was not the rule for CF

Liked: 1

where are you guys getting tires for $730 a set everything on the hoosier site even the SAE price is more than that? if there is a cheaper tire source than hoosier direct please send me those links!!
    thanks
    Jeff

Liked: 605

Just checked my bank card statement from the other month........The FC Club Racing spec tire R60 Hoosier slicks - mounted and balanced out the door at the track at Daytona - Sept. this year......$874. Have run them 2 weekends so far - and the first was an event at PBIR that was chopped up into a number of three to four hot laps and then black flag all or double yellows for way too much of the sessions and this past weekend at Sebring for only two on track sessions but each was around a continuous half hour......they still look good. Talked to others about how the rears can develop splits on the face and saw some examples. Plans are to run mine also at the Sebring Super Tour January and also Feb. Sebring Regional......which would be around 11 or so sessions if they make it that far. After that is becomes a question of how slow would they prove on a test day, Thoughts are I'll probably buy a set sometime during 2022.

Liked: 208

Default FC is Cool

FC is cool but think about a vintage class like FF. I run the Hoosier FF tires in vintage and have gotten up to three seasons on 'em. That's only about 12 weekends for me. No issues with heat cycles. Just run 'em till the tread is gone.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Thread Information