Liked: 7

Default Fresh Noble National Engine - Going to Dyno

This reliable engine was raced for about three years in a major vintage sanction.  Originally sourced from Ron Whitston in WI, this 1200 mill was just rebuilt by noted builder, Calkins Performance in Dallas, where it is currently located. $3500.

I'm not crazy about shipping it and would prefer pickup in Dallas or I can get it as far south as Houston. If shipping is the only option, I do have a container and would prefer the buyer setup with nearest shipper and I'll do the rest. I also have a partially gutted generator and wide-vane fan for vintage ($80)

Just scheduled for dyno, 7-20

This amounts to a price drop because the price stays the same and I pay for the dyno.

The engine is carb to clutch. Clutch is used but worked fine in last race.

Thanks,
    dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nodular; 07.18.21 at 12:38 PM.

Liked: 115

Quote Originally Posted by Nodular View Post
    This reliable engine was raced for about three years in a major vintage sanction. If enduros are any indication of durability, this engine powered a one-hour win at Texas World Speedway. Originally sourced from Ron Whitston in WI, this 1200 mill was just rebuilt by noted builder, Calkins Performance in Dallas, where it is currently located. $3500. I'm not crazy about shipping it and would prefer pickup in Dallas or I can get it as far south as Houston. If shipping is the only option, I do have a container and would prefer the buyer setup with nearest shipper and I'll do the rest. I also have a partially gutted generator and wide-vane fan for vintage setup ($80). Thanks, Dave

Just curious as to how it could be a fresh Noble rebuilt by someone else....

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

Its a Noble engine. I didn't say "freshly rebuilt by Noble." Bill Noble is dead so he's not rebuilding any motors. Clearly you have nothing to do.

5. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 115

Its a Noble engine. I didn't say "freshly rebuilt by Noble." Bill Noble is dead so he's not rebuilding any motors. Clearly you have nothing to do.

There are a lot of newbies on here and we as a group should make sure they are given the proper information. Yes, Bill is gone, but so is Ferdinand Porsche and we don't refer to our motors as Porsche. Regardless of who built the engine first, it will be an engine from the last person who rebuilt it...If you sent it to Dave Carr, iwould you still call it a Noble motor...?

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Yes, you would still call it a Noble motor, freshened by Dave Carr. If he replaced the heads with his, you would call it a Noble with Dave Carr heads. Lets add some context - I told my engine builder I suspected my heads might be Palermo's based on the number sequence. He verified that they were not. Why did most major builders stamp their components, including carbs and intakes? Because they contained work or a process unique to them. So now are you suggesting that the rebuilder should go stamp CPC on top of Noble's stampings? I think that would be considered unethical. FV engines are always referred to by the original builder or make no matter how many times they've been rebuilt by others. I always say that wisdom is cause-and-effect, meaning you have to be involved in things before you start rendering critical commentary.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

Yes, you would still call it a Noble motor, freshened by Dave Carr. If he replaced the heads with his, you would call it a Noble with Dave Carr heads. Lets add some context - I told my engine builder I suspected my heads might be Palermo's based on the number sequence. He verified that they were not. Why did most major builders stamp their components, including carbs and intakes? Because they contained work or a process unique to them. So now are you suggesting that the rebuilder should go stamp CPC on top of Noble's stampings? I think that would be considered unethical. FV engines are always referred to by the original builder or make no matter how many times they've been rebuilt by others. I always say that wisdom is cause-and-effect, meaning you have to be involved in things before you start rendering critical commentary.
    You have clearly expressed what your item is in terms and protocol that are common. It sounds like good value.
    Let potential buyers be the judge.
    Good luck with your sale!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 300

Sorry but I have to disagree with the motor always being called by the original builder. When it goes to a different builder there are usually things that get changed not just bearings and a valve job. A refresh involves what? Maybe your wallet is lighter but possibly not much work done. Unfortunately if you weren't there to watch or have trust in that person, what is the difference between a refresh and rebuild?

Attempting to use a "named engine builder" might be considered unethical to say the least with what could be just a cleaning of the engine and nothing really done. Again the trust issue returns.

Ed

13. The following 3 users liked this post:

Ok Ed. If you are buying it and concerned about the credibility of CPC, I'm sure he will furnish you with all his build notes. The builder is a life-long Vee racer whom has been to the Runoffs several times and has been building only FV engines for at least 20 years. I know he told me that he had to replace the crank and the rods. The case may be a different matter, but I disagree about the heads and even carb and intake not maintaining their builder credential. They all require a certain amount of hand-work. Even if you do a valve-job on the heads, you can't then take credit for the porting. CPC is conscientious and even shipped a bent rod on my Palermo, back to Palermo for a replacement. You should really be careful about making implications of potential impropriety. CPC is a highly respected builder.

You dissenters don't even rise to the level of tire-kickers because you're not interested in the motor, only holding court in a forum where anything is a target for your scrutiny. I paid for a membership here that allows me to place an ad to sell my item, not to have to run interference with all kinds of scrutineers who wouldn't like my ad no matter how I worded it. If you're not interested in the engine please keep your comments to yourself. Enough has been said about it and I've looked at other engine ads on the site, what few there are, and it appears well in line with price for a motor with zero hours. Its a far cry from the old SR Racing site where there was always a selection of engines for sale. It was a welcome resource when I needed a fresh engine to build a car. It'd be nice if you'd allow somebody else the same satisfaction.

Ed

Default Dyno

Engine scheduled for dyno.....

Liked: 113

Default Engine builds

OK guys,

I have been monitoring this thread and I think we all need to get back on track. This is turning into a "Washington's Axe" discussion. I am in no position to tell anyone what, or how they need to represent their engine when selling it. If someone wants to start a separate thread as too "How to describe who's engine you have, please put it into the general discussion section.

If you have a concern about an engine's lineage, take it up with the owner via PM's. Again, if you have strong feelings about how an engine should be described/labeled when discussing the previous builder(s) start a thread and see if you can gain consensus.

...nuf said,..back to your regularly scheduled program.
    Chris Robson
    Accelerated Performance Coaching
    http://APCDriving.com

17. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 32

By the way Bill Noble, before he passed, sold his company to his chief mechanic, Chris Cox. Chris still builds many motors across the company under the name Noble engines by Cox so it is understandable that someone would think it is a Noble.
    Graham Loughead FV #35
    Formula Vee Hall of Fame Founder

Liked: 0

Default Still available?

Hi, is this engine still available?

Thanks,

collin

Thread Information