Liked: 29

Default Stainless cleaning/polishing

I have a Thule all-aluminum trailer I just purchased that has stainless trim along the bottom that has developed a milky film that I can't get off. I've tried rubbing compound, metal polish and everything else I can think of. Any ideas about what might bring back the shiny finish? I'd hate to have to wrap the bottom to make the trailer presentable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contributing Member
    Liked: 322

Try different grades of Scotchbrite abrasive pads - test on a less visible area first. Stainless very often has a brushed surface so using the Scotchbrite in the same direction will maintain that, rather than going in different directions or using a circular sander.

I'm surprised they are combining aluminium and stainless, since these two are well-documented for corrosion (of the aluminium).

Quote Originally Posted by tlracer View Post
    Try different grades of Scotchbrite abrasive pads - test on a less visible area first. Stainless very often has a brushed surface so using the Scotchbrite in the same direction will maintain that, rather than going in different directions or using a circular sander.

I'm surprised they are combining aluminum and stainless, since these two are well-documented for corrosion (of the aluminium).
    Thanks for the reply, but on this trailer the finish was originally mirror polished. I might have to resort to a brushed finish if I can't figure out how to revert to the mirror. Probably before I did that I'd just wrap it.....I could even use mirror wrap.
    Mike M.

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Thanks for the reply. I agree, the procedure in the video would probably work, but would take me FOREVER! The trailer is 24' and the stainless is about 24" high and is also on the back door which works out to about 112 square feet. I think I could wrap all the stainless in 3 or 4 hours. I think I'd be better off spending more time on my race car and less on my trailer!
    Mike M.

Quote Originally Posted by Joefisherff View Post

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 183

break out a buffer and use this stuff. BlueMagic Metal polish Cream

I have used this before on aluminum, plated parts and other metal surfaces with good success

Contributing Member
    Liked: 322

Quote Originally Posted by Jorma View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but on this trailer the finish was originally mirror polished.
    In that case:

https://www.pbo.co.uk/expert-advice/...-at-home-64115

Thread Information