Liked: 3787

Default Throwback Thursday part 44 No Way Yes Way

Sportsfans,

Recent news that the 2021 Runoffs entry list for the FC class has now hit 34 has caused me to have a flashback to a phone call I had back in late June 2020. About that time we were all thinking we were closing in on the end of the pandemic not knowing we were at the very beginning, because… you know… Florida.

My cell phone rings. I glance at it and the screen displays the caller as “
    Chris off the pace”. Always ready for a good laugh I decide to not let the call go to my obnoxious voice mail message. Looking back, maybe I should have.

PF: Hello Chris, what the hell now?
    Chris: Oh most honorable majestic and all-knowing Purple Frog I need your help.
    PF: As I told you before, you would go faster if you use the right pedal.
    Chris: No, no. It’s not about my driving. I have a dream and I need your help to make it happen.
    PF: Nope, I’ve told you before I am not putting baby pictures of Cole Morgan out on Apexspeed. Besides whatever you want is not as important as me getting my sock drawers organized.
    Chris: I want to reinvigorate the past excitement that the FC class had and save the class. I want to get 35 entries for next year’s Runoffs at Indy.
    PF: No way.
    Chris: Way!
    PF: Whatever you are smoking it is much stronger than my Captain Morgan 100.
    Chris: I’m very serious.
    PF: You are seriously bonkers.
    Chris: Listen to me. This can happen and I want you to help.
    PF: Huh oh
    Chris: (then Mr. Quixotic goes into a 5 minute dissertation about all the value of FC/F2000 racing) Don’t you agree?
    PF: Yeah. So?
    Chris: I want you to stir up excitement about the class. Post stuff out on social media extolling the greatness of FC racing and build some excitement.
    PF: I don’t do social media. I don’t have Facebook nor Twitter accounts.
    Chris: You just need to put stuff on Apexspeed, I’ll direct the world to it.
    PF: Chris, you do realize I’m an old has been that really never was.
    Chris: Yeah, I know. You really should run for president. But you have over 10,000 posts on Apexspeed. You are the Purple Frog. We need you.
    PF: What’s in it for me?
    Chris: We’ll figure something out. You always have so many stories you tell at bars after the track closes. Just write those stories.
    PF: And get sued for libel. My stories need to stay verbal so I can deny them.
    Chris: OK. So that means you’ll do it! Great! Call them “Thursday Throwbacks.” If you start next Thursday you can do at least 50 before the Runoffs. I knew you would agree. You’re the greatest.
    PF: Chris, I didn’t agree. Besides, What’s in it for me?
    Chris: We’ll figure something out. Maybe we can get DaveW to push you into Gasoline Alley in a wheelchair during the call to grid.
    PF: I was talking about cash. U.S. currency.
    Chris: We’ll figure something out. I knew you would do it. I’m so glad you agreed. Remember…”35 for the 35th”. This Thursday. You’re the man. Gotta go. The kids are screaming. Wife says I have been talking about racing too long on the phone.

Click.

PF: Chris… Chris?

So here we are almost to September 2021 and on the verge of Chris actually being right. And me being wrong. I don’t know how I feel about that. I’m certainly very happy for the class. But… Chris being right about something?

I keep studying the current entry list. That effort reinforces just how out of touch I am. Most of the names on that list I have never met or even seen race. I realize that is the great thing about what that list reveals… new blood is bringing the class back.

For a storyteller all those new names represent so many new great racing stories… HUH oh...

2. The following 8 users liked this post:

Liked: 995

This is freaking fantastic! Thanks Mike (keep those postings coming) and everyone who has thrown their all at making this happen!

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 375

I remember making my weekly call to you about the latest car for sale and why you should buy it. But you said something about being a changed man and taking up residence at a tiki bar on a beach somewhere overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. You then proceeded to go on some long diatribe about the good old days when Cole Morgan crashed and took out 9 cars during qualifying at Mid Ohio. I zoned out for a little while and said it would make a great Apex post.

Simply too many good stories to go untold. I've been saving them and will publish a book after Indy: "The Essays of His Purple Highness." We can use the proceeds to buy your first set of spec tires when you make your comeback.

Still can't believe I convinced you to do it. I'll pay you back eventually. Maybe we can roll it over and combine it with next year's payment for all the Throwbacks leading up to VIR.

We'll figure something out.

Whoa Kenosabe!

I'm straining now, at this point boring the hell out of folks every Thursday, and I'm not at 50 yet for Indy.
    Who the heck would want to read about the parties at the Aunt Millie's pizza joint in downtown Milton, North Carolina?

Lets not even start to go anywhere near the stories about the parties at E.C's condo on the climbing esses...
    Hokie HokieHokie Hy!

Liked: 95

Default Thank you

No message really other than to say thanks for doing it. JIm.
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

8. The following 4 users liked this post:

What happens at Aunt Millies, stays at Aunt Millies...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information