Liked: 482

Default Strap size (width and WLL)… what and why?

I have been using 2” straps to tie down my 950# car because that is what I have (mostly left over from sedan racer days).

BUT, those straps are rated at like 3000# WLL, and I use four. WAY overkill. Plus, they are heavy, adding trailer weight, and to get them tight, it just seems to be too much tension on the car.

There are quality 1 inch straps I can find with WLL of 1200# each so technically would be plenty with four. But 1” just strikes me as small. Maybe not.

What do you folks use and why? OR, anyone see a problem with the 1” straps?

Liked: 225

Default 1-1/4”

I have used 1-1/4” straps on a FC for years and years with no issues. Tied down to inner mounting points of lower wishbones front and rear. 4 total.

Each strap is rated to something like 750 + lbs. Car weighs 1000.

I have no doubt that others will say it is too light, but I have used them for over 20 years.

Liked: 3322

I tie the rear down to rings attached to the trailer floor/frame with 2" over the tire 2-sided straps (tire nets). These locate the car and are the main attachments.

On the front I go over outer end of the upper front wishbones with 1" straps, again down to rings on the floor. These will keep the car on the floor if the trailer tips over.
    Last edited by DaveW; 08.09.21 at 9:19 AM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1493

tire nets - especially if you use motorcycle rims: https://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/c...05610#quick-12

Liked: 3787

I'm with Rick... tire buckets on all 4 corners for a formula car.

For fenders (like the Outlaw Bug) I use:

Summit Racing 29-0012 - Summit Racing® Vehicle Tie-Downs and Axle Strap Pro Packs

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cmb-29-0012

Seriously, how much extra weight are we talking about for 4 heavy duty straps? When I'm securing something worth tens of thousands of dollars, I don't go super cheap. just middle grade cheap.

And... never leave them in the Sun, unless they are in use.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    I'm with Rick... tire buckets on all 4 corners for a formula car.

For fenders (like the Outlaw Bug) I use:

Summit Racing 29-0012 - Summit Racing® Vehicle Tie-Downs and Axle Strap Pro Packs

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cmb-29-0012

Seriously, how much extra weight are we talking about for 4 heavy duty straps? When I'm securing something worth tens of thousands of dollars, I don't go super cheap. just middle grade cheap.
    I agree but until I put in etrack, I have limited tie down points. My trailer has a wood frame.

I'm laughing at myself. My enclosed trailer now has 16 "D" rings all over the floor. A set-up for every different car. They are either bolted to steel under the floor, or have big steel plates under the floor. Worked out cool one time when I had to haul 8 motorcycles...

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    I'm laughing at myself. My enclosed trailer now has 16 "D" rings all over the floor. A set-up for every different car. They are either bolted to steel under the floor, or have big steel plates under the floor. Worked out cool one time when I had to haul 8 motorcycles...
    Makes sense. I see two ways to go: Maximalist (your approach) or Minimalist. I’m Minimalist with this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 233

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I have been using 2” straps to tie down my 950# car because that is what I have (mostly left over from sedan racer days).

BUT, those straps are rated at like 3000# WLL, and I use four. WAY overkill. Plus, they are heavy, adding trailer weight, and to get them tight, it just seems to be too much tension on the car.

There are quality 1 inch straps I can find with WLL of 1200# each so technically would be plenty with four. But 1” just strikes me as small. Maybe not.

What do you folks use and why? OR, anyone see a problem with the 1” straps?
    I use a single 2" non ratcheting axle strap on the front end of my car wrapped around a wing wishbone and then simply in a clevis to the D ring. Then opposite end, 2 1" 1200lb WLL straps. I am completely confident this is plenty of strapping capacity and is easy to work with and efficient.

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Makes sense. I see two ways to go: Maximalist (your approach) or Minimalist. I’m Minimalist with this:
    That's artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    That's artwork.
    IT IS! If forced to choose, I’d keep it over my race car. I get no credit for it, Jon Staudacher built it. Every little detail is amazing.

Liked: 295

Nice trailer!

As for straps I have gotten more careful over the years, after having some problems. I want the car tied down on all four corners. The 1" straps seem way too flimsy...the straps are probably ok but the hardware seems way too chintzy.

If your trailer should come loose from your tow vehicle you want the car strapped on pretty well so that the trailer can absorb impact without shucking the race car off into the median strip or into traffic.

There is nothing really that compares with the sinking feeling when you look in the rear view and see your trailer with race car spinning behind you.

Every time I get familiar to a hitch setup they come up with a new one with a slightly different mode of operation and a new way to fail. I have had a couple trailer incidents which ended rather inoculously but still frightened the bejesus out of me for a few seconds.
    Last edited by t walgamuth; 08.09.21 at 9:17 AM.

Why not ask Jon Staudacher how he would do it?

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information