Liked: 227

Default V.I.R. Lodging - Villas vs. Pit Lane Rooms

I'm deciding whether to stay in a pit lane room for the upcoming VIR Super Tour. I stayed in the lodge once 10+ years ago and usually stay in a junior villa (downstairs). I've never stayed in a pit lane room and am hoping to get some feedback from those who have.

1. Quality wise (matress, pillows, linens, bathroom, etc.), are the pit lane rooms closer to the lodge rooms (Motel 6-esque) or villas (Fairfield Inn-esque)?
    2. Does the paddock quiet down at a reasonable hour, or are engine crank-ups and loud discussions throughout the night just part of the "charm" of the pit lane rooms?

Thanks, Cory

Liked: 254

While I've never been for an SCCA weekend I have spent a fair amount of time in rooms throughout the facility. The paddock rooms are hugely convenient but any noise from the garage below will transfer up so if you're a light sleeper that could be a real concern (morning and night). My biggest preference to the paddock rooms is that I can put on my race gear in a close convenient space and have my own bathroom. But if I had to choose I'd rather stay in the Villas. The rooms are way nicer, extra space, bed is much more comfortable (like the Lodge, paddock beds last I stayed were terrible), and the patio/balcony is great for after hours.

Quote Originally Posted by 2BWise View Post
    While I've never been for an SCCA weekend I have spent a fair amount of time in rooms throughout the facility. The paddock rooms are hugely convenient but any noise from the garage below will transfer up so if you're a light sleeper that could be a real concern (morning and night). My biggest preference to the paddock rooms is that I can put on my race gear in a close convenient space and have my own bathroom. But if I had to choose I'd rather stay in the Villas. The rooms are way nicer, extra space, bed is much more comfortable (like the Lodge, paddock beds last I stayed were terrible), and the patio/balcony is great for after hours.
    Great info! Thank you. I also really like the Villas. The prices for all 3 options have escalated (supply<demand) over the years and I'm struggling with paying over a grand for race weekend lodging.

Liked: 278

After going there many years, finally stayed in a pit lane room for the first time last week.

Note that my experience has never been on a race weekend, private rental only, so noise etc I can't comment on.

Villas are the tits. Fantastic, like a time-share condo. I'd love to rent one of those for my whole crew if I were to race down there - though I'm sure I couldn't afford the squeeze.

Pit lane rooms IMO are entirely equivalent to the Lodge. But as noted, the noise from downstairs can carry through easily enough; same for the walls, both pit lane and Lodge, but unless someone's rebuilding a trans next door in their room, just typical for a hotel. Maybe the ceilings/floors are a touch loud in the Lodge - but if you aim for top floor, that is quite a few stairs. I think there's an elevator though (haven't ever used it, admittedly).

Of course, if you're staying on site, you're somewhat limited for food options - and I have to admit that the food and Connie's/the Tavern just isn't what it used to be, anymore. Used to be really great, a treat to get some good local food; now they've gone to corporate management with a fixed menu, and it's a pale shadow. Not bad, but not great either, and as pricey as ever. Not to mention limited menu because COVID, as so many restaurants are doing these days.

So if you can find time for the schlep to/from Danville every day, might be worth it to save on accommodations and have more menu options. The Checkered Pig was always one of my faves... and I seem to recall good Thai, Mexican, and Italian places too...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by 924RACR View Post
    After going there many years, finally stayed in a pit lane room for the first time last week.

Note that my experience has never been on a race weekend, private rental only, so noise etc I can't comment on.

Villas are the tits. Fantastic, like a time-share condo. I'd love to rent one of those for my whole crew if I were to race down there - though I'm sure I couldn't afford the squeeze.

Pit lane rooms IMO are entirely equivalent to the Lodge. But as noted, the noise from downstairs can carry through easily enough; same for the walls, both pit lane and Lodge, but unless someone's rebuilding a trans next door in their room, just typical for a hotel. Maybe the ceilings/floors are a touch loud in the Lodge - but if you aim for top floor, that is quite a few stairs. I think there's an elevator though (haven't ever used it, admittedly).

Of course, if you're staying on site, you're somewhat limited for food options - and I have to admit that the food and Connie's/the Tavern just isn't what it used to be, anymore. Used to be really great, a treat to get some good local food; now they've gone to corporate management with a fixed menu, and it's a pale shadow. Not bad, but not great either, and as pricey as ever. Not to mention limited menu because COVID, as so many restaurants are doing these days.

So if you can find time for the schlep to/from Danville every day, might be worth it to save on accommodations and have more menu options. The Checkered Pig was always one of my faves... and I seem to recall good Thai, Mexican, and Italian places too...

Thank you Vaughan. I believe the Lodge rooms have been remodeled since I stayed there once, but was very disappointed, so knowing that the Pit Lane Rooms are equivalent is very helpful. I also agree with your other points - I've always had good experiences at the Villas and don't consider Connie's a "must do" during VIR weekends anymore.

Cory

Liked: 1

I've stayed in all 3 over years, but always for HPDE events. Pit road is my favorite simply for the shear convenience of being able to go back to your room to get out of the heat, or eat lunch etc. As for quality of the room, it felt similar to the Lodge in my opinion. Like a basic hotel room.

The one time I stayed in the Villas, it was pouring rain that event, and my shoes got wet the first day. Luckily the villa had a clothes dryer in it, so I was able to dry my shoes that evening. That was a big win.

I typically book my events last minute, so all of the on-site lodging is already booked up. So I typically stay at the Sleep Inn in Danville. Always had a pleasant stay. The drive isn't too bad, and you have more food options in Danville.

To close the loop on this since I started the thread: I ended up paying the ridiculous price for a Villa during the Super Tour weekend, but I was able to look at a Pit Lane Room while there. Unless my wife is with me, I will save the money and stay in a Pit Lane Room from now on (or save even more and stay off site). While the Pit Lane Rooms are a step down from the Villas, they are more than adequate for a race weekend. My only remaining concern is late night noise from the garage below. That will always be a roll of the dice unless you are staying above your garage.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Cory

Thread Information