Liked: 35

For Sale Hewland MK9 Sideplates with Bearings and Stub Axles

A few years ago, I encountered a FF racer who had a Hewland MK9 gearbox in a vintage Ford for which a MK8 would have been more appropriate. I had a set of MK8 side plates that I was not using and traded them to him for his MK9 side plates. The units that I have available for sale now are the MK9 parts from his car. These are completely assembled units with bearings, seals and stub axles. All that will be required to install them is to ensure proper R&P backlash, which is adjusted by means of shims on the differential, and bolt up using a bit of Hylomar or silicone on the edges of the main case.

I have not used these assembled side plates, but they were in good working order when removed from his gearbox. The bearings feel good with no tight or rough spots, seals appear good, all bolt holes are in good condition with good threads, no cracks or issues of any kind. They appear to be ready to go. They were in perfect working order when removed from his gearbox. The only reason to remove them was to install the MK8 units which were more period correct for his car. All parts are of Hewland manufacture. No Webster parts. Please note that Hewland has made differentials for the MK series gearboxes using several different sizes for stub axle splines including 1.000" and 1.125". These stub axles are 1.187 nominal (actual measurement 1.178") x 18 splines. Please make sure that these stub axles will fit your differential.

I do not have a use for these parts and would rather see them go to someone who needs them rather than have them sit in a box in my garage. If you are building a gearbox for your car, perhaps that's you. Here are the retail prices for the major parts as charged by the various gearbox shops in the US:

Side plates - $862 each
    Stub axles - $725 each
    LH spacer - $59
    RH spacer - $55
    Bearings - $135 each

Total for large parts - $3558

The small parts such as seals, snap rings, CV bolts, etc. will run the cost up another $100. The side plates shown here are used parts, but in perfectly good working condition. I'm selling for $1250 and you do not need to assemble them. That is a savings of around $2400 and it will save you a good bit of work, as well.

Please ask any questions which come up and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

$1250 for the pair
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Reduced Price

Quote Originally Posted by true racer View Post
    A few years ago, I encountered a FF racer who had a Hewland MK9 gearbox in a vintage Ford for which a MK8 would have been more appropriate. I had a set of MK8 side plates that I was not using and traded them to him for his MK9 side plates. The units that I have available for sale now are the MK9 parts from his car. These are completely assembled units with bearings, seals and stub axles. All that will be required to install them is to ensure proper R&P backlash, which is adjusted by means of shims on the differential, and bolt up using a bit of Hylomar or silicone on the edges of the main case.

I have not used these assembled side plates, but they were in good working order when removed from his gearbox. The bearings feel good with no tight or rough spots, seals appear good, all bolt holes are in good condition with good threads, no cracks or issues of any kind. They appear to be ready to go. They were in perfect working order when removed from his gearbox. The only reason to remove them was to install the MK8 units which were more period correct for his car. All parts are of Hewland manufacture. No Webster parts. Please note that Hewland has made differentials for the MK series gearboxes using several different sizes for stub axle splines including 1.000" and 1.125". These stub axles are 1.187 nominal (actual measurement 1.178") x 18 splines. Please make sure that these stub axles will fit your differential.

I do not have a use for these parts and would rather see them go to someone who needs them rather than have them sit in a box in my garage. If you are building a gearbox for your car, perhaps that's you. Here are the retail prices for the major parts as charged by the various gearbox shops in the US:

Side plates - $862 each
    Stub axles - $725 each
    LH spacer - $59
    RH spacer - $55
    Bearings - $135 each

The small parts such as seals, snap rings, CV bolts, etc. will run the cost up another $100. The side plates shown here are used parts, but in perfectly good working condition. I'm selling for $1250 and you do not need to assemble them. That is a savings of around $2400 and it will save you a good bit of work, as well.

Please ask any questions which come up and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

$1250 for the pair

I have had these side plates listed here for a month or two now and have only had one response via PM. Although I think the $1250 price is reasonable and what I would expect to pay, I'll lower it to $1000. Someone jump on this before it gets away.

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 649

You have a PM
    Last edited by Rick Iverson; 05.31.21 at 6:32 PM.
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 9

Default Hewland side plates

Could you use these on a Mk8 gearbox to switch to Mk9? Or is it only possible to switch a Mk9 to a Mk8? And would you have to have any special tools to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by true racer View Post

Side plates - $862 each
    Stub axles - $725 each
    LH spacer - $59
    RH spacer - $55
    Bearings - $135 each

$1250 for the pair

Quote Originally Posted by race14 View Post
    Could you use these on a Mk8 gearbox to switch to Mk9? Or is it only possible to switch a Mk9 to a Mk8? And would you have to have any special tools to do this?
    You can effectively turn a MK8 into a MK9 by swapping the sideplates. Please be aware that there are some differences inside the gear boxes such as different bearing sizes, shaft diameters and differential gear spline configurations. As long as the diff gears in your particular MK8 are the same size as the stub axles in my sideplates, it should work.

A lot of Hewland MK series boxes you see at the track will look correct from the outside but have some of these differences inside. i.e. it may look like a MK9 from the outside but use some parts from other series gearboxes on the inside, as long as they all match up. As an example, the MK6 box uses a 1.125" pinion shaft rather than the 1.000" shaft of the MK8 and 9, requiring the larger MK6 gear sets be used with it. However, with the proper bearings and R&P, it might be possible to convert from one to the other.

If you would like to discuss your application, send me a PM with your phone number. Sorry, I no longer have any MK setup tools.

You have another email
    V/r

Iverson

Robert, check you PMs.
    V/r

Iverson

Thread Information