Liked: 324

Default 1997 Van Diemen 5.7 rod Pinto FC

CAR HAS BEEN CONVERTED TO FORMULA FORD

I received this 1997 Pinto Van Diemen FC from Primus at the beginning of 2020. Turns out that was perfect timing for taking on a reconstruction project at the beginning of a pandemic !! I pulled it down to being a slider and reconstructed the car with intentions of doing 2021 RunOff's. Circumstances took me on a different route and I am putting this car out there in hopes that someone gets it and does the RunOff's. Car was last raced in Nov 2020 at COTA and the following weekend in Arizona. Car stays in an insulated workshop and goes through a ‘roll over from cold’ sequence once a month and is then started and warmed up to temp.

This RF-97 is located in Phoenix, Arizona. When this car sells, I want to get a Kent powered Formula Ford. So, if you have a Late Model Van Diemen with a Kent, and want to do some trading.... Let's Talk. I would also consider a Honda powered car.

It is almost easier to say what has NOT been changed, updated, or refurbished on this car. I didn't need to change the belly pan or repaint the frame. Nor did the fiberglass need a complete paint job. Presently the paint job is decent for a race car.

Here are the main things about the car. Feel free to contact me for more details about the the rebuild or other aspects of this car. I have photos from most of the reconstruction.

Pinto 5.7 rod motor with Weber 38. Professionally built and dyno'd in CA early in 2020. Presently has approx 16 hours. I keep a log with run times and number of sessions on motor. Cam was new from Elgin. TDC pan and pump. Updated pressure section on pump.

AIM XG LOG data with brake sensors
    Ohlins TT44 shocks (reconditioned and dyno'd at Harrison Auto Dynamics)
    Crow belts were new in the first part of 2020
    Rear uprights have new bearings, tripod housings, tripods and gun drilled half shafts
    Penon type diffuser
    Late Model rear wing
    Car will come with hard wired transponder
    All 4 push rods updated to new aero models with new rod ends and mount hardware
    New SPA Extreme fire system provided by Primus
    New radiators and oil cooler
    New PFC rotors
    New Wilwood Aluminum LD20 calipers on all 4 corners (Hawk blue pads)
    Fully rewired car with color coded wiring. Dash has aircraft grade toggles
    New rear brake lines and clutch line from master cylinder back
    Epoxied dual layer 5 oz. Kevlar on side panels
    New Tilton pressure plate and clutch disk
    Wheels: 2 complete sets of 5 spoke OZ, 1 set of Jongbloed with American Racer rain tires
    Gear selector is new from my hand back to gear box. This was updated to remove slop and to reposition the gear selector assembly which created more room for my legs.

SPARES
    1 or 2 Diffusers
    1 complete rear wing, ready to mount. Just put 3 bolts through the back of gear box
    1 complete nose / wing assembly. Crush box and wings need to be painted and assembled
    1 new out of the mold custom low drag engine cover (better aero and better air flow to carb. Needs to be mounted on car)
    1 universal upright (new)
    Push rod for front and for rear (originals, put into spares when upgrading to aero push rod)
    Original rear ARB kit. I pulled this and installed the newer style double blade ARB that mounts to frame

Fitting in the ’97:
    I am 5’09”, I do have some padding on the wall of fuel cell, but it is not a poured foam seat
    My inseam measure is 32” and there is pedal adjustment for a bit longer legs
    I have a 33” waist and weigh 170 lbs. I have a ¾” piece of heavy plywood under my butt to add a little weight and improve vision slightly over the gauge cover. Someone a little taller could fit in car, but you can’t be very much taller.

Last edited by CGOffroad; 03.24.23 at 4:52 PM.

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Couple people have asked about annual and documentation of car. Photos below

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 160

Default Fast Car

Should be a fast car - the 97 are clean aero!

JM
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Default Transportation Available

A friend is towing from Arizona to Great Lakes area within a week. If someone in this region was interested in this RF97, I could arrange transportation.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

This is a fast FC with a good motor. It easily pulls my new engine RF95 on the straights.

Jim Edmonds
    Phoenix, AZ

I am considering to convert this car to FF. If someone is in need of a fully upgraded 5.7 rod Pinto engine, send me a message. Engine has 16 hours on it. TDC oil pump is new with updated pressure section. Pan is TDC with bosses on front for mounting into a Late Model Van Diemen.

When and if I sell the engine from this car, I will be selling off 3 different diffusers, wings, etc. I have two sets of 5 spoke OZ wheels in very good condition and a set of Jongbloed with rain tires mounted on them. Any or all of this could be included with purchasing the engine. None of these parts will be for sale until the engine is sold.

CAR HAS BEEN CONVERTED TO FORMULA FORD
    Last edited by CGOffroad; 03.24.23 at 4:51 PM.

Thread Information