Liked: 39

Default Van Diemen RF94 Formula Car Package

Chassis and IRD trailer now sold. Great couple from Dallas gathered up the chassis (as a roller) and the various spares and components and the IRD trailer and started their return to Texas this morning (May 26). This has the feeling of an emotional end-of-an-era thing. Glad the car is going to a good home. I guess what I'll do next is to list the zetec power plant as an independent item.

Thanks ApexSpeed.

Looks like we may have a solid prospective purchaser. The individual wants the RF94 as a roller. And would like the IRD trailer as well. Will know more mid week next week. Whatever happens it is looking more and more probable that I'll be posting items in separate and distinct offerings.

Further Price Reduction: Package now available for $14,000. New prices for the separate components now listed in the latest posting. And available to discuss offers.

Package Price Reduction: Everything for $14,500.
    And If the package hasn't been spoken for by, say, this coming Saturday (May 15), then I'll start listing the various components of the package separately. Really need to move everything out of my garage.

This RF94 was in FC. Previously campaigned by Joe Riley and later by Robert Armington. It then became the test chassis for the project involving the conversion of an older FC chassis to Zetec power. The entire conversion project was chronicled in an on-line report that can be found at www.zeteccontinentalconversion.com.

The bottom end, head and all reciprocating components are FC legal. But as the conversion progressed, and I became interested in the possible intake and ignition alternatives, the project evolved into utilization of two iconic Weber 45 DCOE carburetors (I've always loved that look). What I was hoping to understand was whether there was a way to develop the Zetec motor into a power plant that was less complicated and considerably less expensive than the injected construct mandated by the SCCA for FC. So, in addition to Webers, the SCCA required PE3 ECU was replaced by the simpler and, yes, considerably less expensive OMEX 200.

Huffaker Engineering did the dyno work. The engine ran solidly. And produced good numbers. 156.2 was the HP reading. Torque topped out at 161.2. I decided to avoid any further development because the LD200 gearbox has a torque limit of 165 ft.lbs.

The Travel Tech from the SF Region has signed off on the 2021 annual tech inspection and noted FS eligibility.

The package includes:

Four new avons mounted on OZ wheels.
    Four used Hoosiers that are not mounted.
    New Harmon fuel cell.
    New firebottle.
    New OMP belts.
    Two fuel bottles.
    Two sets of chassis stands (mid size for the shop...low size for at the circuit)
    Zetec specific engine stand.
    Engine hoist.
    Engine stand for engine maintenance. Includes both universal and zetec specific mounts.
    Four crates of miscellaneous bits, parts and tools.

And the package also includes a classic, open, IRD single axle trailer.

$15,000 takes all. (New package price is now $14,000)

David Simerly. email is dlsimerly@icloud.com. Direct human contact at 415-317-2353.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David Simerly; 05.26.21 at 1:59 PM.

2. The following 4 users liked this post:

Most of the inquiries I've received request information as to what would be required to return this RF94 project to SCCA FC legal status. Thought it might be helpful if I typed out one of my responses so that others could view the options.

The report on the SCCA legal zetec build can be found at www.junkyardzetec.com.

The report on converting the RF94 chassis to accept the zetec power plant can be found at www.zeteccontinentalconversion.com.

The basic requirements, however, to return this RF94 to FC legality are:

1. Replace the Webers and Intake manifold with the SCCA required throttle bodies and injection.

2. Install the high powered Bosch fuel pump needed by the injection system (and I do have the fuel pump).

3. Replace the OMEX 200 ECU with the SCCA required Performance Electronics PE3 ECU.

4. Connect the necessary wiring from the PE3 to the various sensors (and I think I have all of the sensors).

5. Add an alternator to help supply the needs of the ECU and the injection system.

6. Fit the SCCA required air-box (mandated to control air flow into the intake manifold).

The two websites noted above spell out what is involved in each of these tasks as well as the relevant costs.

The least expensive and probably the simplest way to return the chassis to FC specifications is to purchase this RF94 chassis as a roller and then re-install one of the Pinto derived, FC legal, single overhead cam motors. That eliminates the need for an ECU, the injection system, all those sensors, the electric fuel pump, the air box, the alternator and also provides a considerably simpler chassis and engine wiring task.

If someone wanted to return to the single-overhead cam motor then I would be prepared to pull the zetec and remove the OMEX related wiring and sell this RF94 as a roller for $9500.

What I think would be appropriate to include in with the roller (from the package noted in the initial posting) would be:

1. The transport/paddock wheels

2. The OZ wheels and Avon race rubber.

3. The four (non-mounted) Hoosiers.

4. The chassis stands.

5. The spare bodywork.

6. All of the chassis related spares.

7. Two scissor jacks (essential for small and careful adjustments in raising or lowering chassis or suspension components).

8. My binders of notes.

So all of that for $9500.

If someone wanted the IRD trailer as well, it is available for $1500.

If, then, someone just wanted the zetec on webers that price would be $4500.

If someone just wanted the zetec without the Webers (and the attendant intake manifold) then I'd drop the motor only price to $4000.

I hope this answers many of the questions forwarded by Apex Speeders.

Thank you for your interest.

David.

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Default Price reduction

Package price is now reduced to $14,500. And if the package is not spoken for by, say, May 15, then I'll start listing package components individually. Really need to clear out the garage.

Thanks.

David.

Default New Prices

Quote Originally Posted by David Simerly View Post
    Package price is now reduced to $14,500. And if the package is not spoken for by, say, May 15, then I'll start listing package components individually. Really need to clear out the garage.

Thanks.

David.
    New prices for the various components in this RF94 package:

Roller and parts and spares as listed in Reply #2: $9000

Zetec on Webers now $4250.

Zetec with Webers removed is now $3750.

IRD trailer now priced at $1400.

And open to discussions.

Thanks.

David.

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 649

Default Parts

David, did you receive my email?
    V/r

Iverson

Hey there, Rick:

Haven't received an email from you. Try dlsimerly@icloud.com. Or give me a cell at 415-317-2353.

Thanks.

David.

Thread Information