Liked: 3

Default Zink Z-10c from Long Island NY

Hey all, looking to find out who may currently own this car i used to own 30 years ago.... From the Northeast, It won the 1991 "pro" series CF championship, sorry but dont have much more info for that. I believe the 2 guys that bought it from me called themselves "Grim Reaper Racing" or something to that effect. My name is Chris Tyrrel, I used to work for Joe Stimola and I bought it from a guy I believe lived in NH. Would love to find the current owner. Thanks for any and all help
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 143

Any idea on the roll hoop number? I've got 2 here that I know raced in the NE during that time. One of them was David Porter's during that time. A third I'm unsure of it's history, but it has some unique upper frame rails.

Good luck,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scott fairchild View Post
    Any idea on the roll hoop number? I've got 2 here that I know raced in the NE during that time. One of them was David Porter's during that time. A third I'm unsure of it's history, but it has some unique upper frame rails.

Good luck,
    Scott
    Scott, wish I did have some more info like that. I did race against David Porter back then I believe, the name sounds familiar. Any log books with the cars? Are the cars for sale?
    thanks
    Chris

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 860

Having done a lot of car research (especially for Zink Z16s), it's very difficult without gathering as much info as possible. All the following can be helpful to "ring a bell" in someone's mind:
    Year of car
    Any previous owner's name
    Any subsequent owner's name
    Any unique mods to the car or anything that might set it apart from other cars of the same model?
    Any and all pictures
    Where raced

Since Ed Zink didn't make chassis plates or stamp the chassis with any particular number, it's really down to the logbooks and running into the right person. Eventually, I'll get more cars on my website but it's less than 2 months old and my webmaster (son in high school) still has homework and gaming to do!
    https://redroadracing.com/zinkregistry.html
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tyrrel View Post
    Hey all, looking to find out who may currently own this car i used to own 30 years ago.... From the Northeast, It won the 1991 "pro" series CF championship, sorry but dont have much more info for that. I believe the 2 guys that bought it from me called themselves "Grim Reaper Racing" or something to that effect. My name is Chris Tyrrel, I used to work for Joe Stimola and I bought it from a guy I believe lived in NH. Would love to find the current owner. Thanks for any and all help
    Hi Chris,
    Gary Wagner here in Knoxville, TN....I just looked through 5 logbooks I received with a Z10C I bought last Oct....It raced all over the NE and had several different owners but I do not see your name listed....
    Good luck with your hunt....
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by k3omi View Post
    Hi Chris,
    Gary Wagner here in Knoxville, TN....I just looked through 5 logbooks I received with a Z10C I bought last Oct....It raced all over the NE and had several different owners but I do not see your name listed....
    Gary
    Thank you for taking the time to check Gary!
    chris Tyrrel

Liked: 54

Hi Chris
    I have a 1976 Z10C that I recently performed a frame up rebuild on. It primarily raced in the NE, Logbook #023-419. When I bought it a few years ago, it came with logbooks, but the early books were in a fire and portions of the pages are burned. Names that can be made out were Eric Harding, Jeff Walters and then Tom Valone. Names in the original book are not visible. Any of those names sound familiar?
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Pyanowski View Post
    Hi Chris
    I have a 1976 Z10C that I recently performed a frame up rebuild on. It primarily raced in the NE, Logbook #023-419. When I bought it a few years ago, it came with logbooks, but the early books were in a fire and portions of the pages are burned. Names that can be made out were Eric Harding, Jeff Walters and then Tom Valone. Names in the original book are not visible. Any of those names sound familiar?
    Dan
    the names do not sound familiar to me (of course I was 22 years old and never thought about taking notes on anything) but I do really appreciate you looking this up and taking the time to respond. That was very nice of you

Hi Chris,
    Gary Wagner here in Knoxville, TN....I just looked through 5 logbooks I received with a Z10C I bought last Oct....
    Hi Chris
    I have a 1976 Z10C that I recently performed a frame up rebuild on.....
    If you guys want to add your cars to the Registry I've started, send me your info. My intent is to help other Zink (and Citation) owners learn about their cars and the related history. Registry page is here:

Info needed:
    Year Made: Current Owner:
    Acquired:
    Production Number: (roll bar number/SCCA logbook number ok)
    Car Details and owner history: (this is the info that comes up when you click on a picture on my website. The most important thing from a historical perspective is the most complete ownership history possible, including dates of transfer. You can also include anything significant about the car, updated body, brakes, complete restoration dates, significant wins anchor championships.

Also, please send the picture you want for the car. Any picture will be ok and we can change/update it later if you want.
    Garey Guzman
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

12. The following 2 users liked this post:

Hi Chris
    Dan
    Dan is there a good sized dent on the upper portion of the oil tank?

Chris
    No dent, but someone cut an outer corner off and welded in a a curved plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chris
    No dent, but someone cut an outer corner off and welded in a a curved plate.
    Thanks for the pic. The names you sent of the owners of the car, do you have the dates when those logbooks started?
    thanks again!
    chris

Chris
    The original logbook (which is pretty well charred), was issued June 5, 1976. It says bodywork color: blue ( pictures burnt). Original owners name burned off. The last page indicates a transfer in 1981 to Alan Yankalin (sp?). I remember racing against him in the 1980’s, but he wasn’t driving a Zink then. A few of the races also have Scott McKee’s name listed, but again the top part of the pages are burnt, so no place or date. I also remember Scott racing a Zink in the 1980s. Other logbooks indicate transfer to Jeff Harding in 1988 and then Gary Vallone in 2004. It’s not clear when Eric Harding owned it, but the previous owner listed his name in correspondence.

Chris
    The original logbook (which is pretty well charred), was issued June 5, 1976. It says bodywork color: blue ( pictures burnt). Original owners name burned off. The last page indicates a transfer in 1981 to Alan Yankalin (sp?). I remember racing against him in the 1980’s, but he wasn’t driving a Zink then. A few of the races also have Scott McKee’s name listed, but again the top part of the pages are burnt, so no place or date. I also remember Scott racing a Zink in the 1980s. Other logbooks indicate transfer to Jeff Harding in 1988 and then Gary Vallone in 2004. It’s not clear when Eric Harding owned it, but the previous owner listed his name in correspondence.
    Ok! Thank you, looks like I can rule that one out. I owned it 1990-1992 or 93
    truly appreciated

Hi Chris,
    Gary
    Gary, do you mind letting me know how far back the logbooks that you have go? does the oil tank have a large dent on the upper portion?
    Thanks
    Chris Tyrrel

Gary, do you mind letting me know how far back the logbooks that you have go? does the oil tank have a large dent on the upper portion?
    Thanks
    Chris Tyrrel
    Chris, the first log book starts June 1978...owner's name looks like Oma Kimbrough.....Sorry, no dent in the tank....
    Gary

Liked: 1124

Oma Kimbrough was a very legit driver in the day, racing in the NE in SCCA and the Pro FF series against Bruce Macinnes and DaveW on this forum.

Vitamin Z10 supplementation in all cases.

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    Oma Kimbrough was a very legit driver in the day, racing in the NE in SCCA and the Pro FF series against Bruce Macinnes and DaveW on this forum.

Vitamin Z10 supplementation in all cases.
    Thanks for that info on Oma Kimbrough...I hope to have the car at VIR in April for the Wild Hare....

Default Zink Z10C for sale

Thanks
    Chris Tyrrel
    Chris, I wanted to let you know my Zink 10C is for sale on my Ebay site, k3omi, if you get the itch to own another one...
    Cheers, Gary

Default Zink Z10C

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    If you guys want to add your cars to the Registry I've started, send me your info. My intent is to help other Zink (and Citation) owners learn about their cars and the related history. Registry page is here:

Info needed:
    Year Made: Current Owner:
    Acquired:
    Production Number: (roll bar number/SCCA logbook number ok)
    Car Details and owner history: (this is the info that comes up when you click on a picture on my website. The most important thing from a historical perspective is the most complete ownership history possible, including dates of transfer. You can also include anything significant about the car, updated body, brakes, complete restoration dates, significant wins anchor championships.

Also, please send the picture you want for the car. Any picture will be ok and we can change/update it later if you want.
    Hello Garey,
    Your son is doing a great job with the Zink registry....I was doing research on my car to submit , but instead have moved it along to a new owner.....

Sold my 1978 Zink Z10 C, log book number 007-563 to a vintage racer in Park City, Utah....

As we are both here in TN I was wondering if you knew of a reasonable way to help him transport it to Utah....
    Many of the trucking company's do not appear to be interested and cost are very high....
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
    Regards,
    Gary Wagner
    Knoxville, TN

Hello Garey,
    Your son is doing a great job with the Zink registry....I was doing research on my car to submit , but instead have moved it along to a new owner.....

Sold my 1978 Zink Z10 C, log book number 007-563 to a vintage racer in Park City, Utah....

As we are both here in TN I was wondering if you knew of a reasonable way to help him transport it to Utah....
    Many of the trucking company's do not appear to be interested and cost are very high....
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
    Regards,
    Gary Wagner
    Knoxville, TN
    Hi Gary,
    Yeah, I'm happy with my son's work on the website, I just wish he would spend a bit more time on it!

Unfortunately, I can't help with shipping. I lucked out on an empty trailer coming from CT to get my March here but I drove to Washington DC and Houston to get my last two purchases. There are several threads on shipping in another section of this forum with more experienced people sharing advice and experience. Since the Zink went for a really good price, the buyer should be able to afford to get it there. Shipping is definitely a factor when bidding or negotiating for a car!
    Garey Guzman

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    Hi Gary,
    Yeah, I'm happy with my son's work on the website, I just wish he would spend a bit more time on it!

Unfortunately, I can't help with shipping. I lucked out on an empty trailer coming from CT to get my March here but I drove to Washington DC and Houston to get my last two purchases. There are several threads on shipping in another section of this forum with more experienced people sharing advice and experience. Since the Zink went for a really good price, the buyer should be able to afford to get it there. Shipping is definitely a factor when bidding or negotiating for a car!
    Thank Garey,
    I appreciate the response...I am an old SCCA tin top racer and never found myself comfortable in the FF seating position..
    Loved the engineering of the car, but best to get back to what I know...
    Gary

Thread Information