Liked: 8

Default flat versus convex side mirrors

Hi
    I have been driving with flat side mirrors for years and want to replace due to age.
    My mechanic suggests that I switch to convex for better field of view.
    I did a little research on mirrors and understand that while convex gives a wider view that the imagine can be slightly distorted at times depending on the angle of light hitting the curved surface.
    Because a flat mirror does not have that problem it gives a more accurate image especially objects closing at a further distance.
    If I have misinterpreted these concepts then please correct me.
    Question is for all, do you use flat or convex and have you ever even thought about the tradeoffs?

Thanks

Contributing Member
    Liked: 902

Changed from flat to convex a few years ago. Will never change back.

cheers,
    BT

Liked: 3326

Default Convex by far

I've used convex for almost all of my racing career. Losing some size and accuracy of the image is way more than offset by the much wider field of view. Wider field of view is instrumental in avoiding contact with cars that may be overtaking you. The flat mirrors give such a small field that you miss anything not directly in line with the mirror aim. Knowing someone is there almost next to you is imperative in avoiding accidents.
    Dave Weitzenhof

4. The following 6 users liked this post:

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 195

Another vote for Convex, I would never go back to flat.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Mark Walthew's Avatar
    Liked: 34

Default convex

My RF-85 came with convex mirrors. I had the glass fall out of one and the track vendor only had a flat SPA to replace it. I did not like the flat mirror as it reduced the field of vision. What bothered me the most was that a following car looked much closer to me than I was use to. It really worried me and made me concentrate on that car rather than driving. Yes I know they really are that close but I find it less distracting that the object in my convex mirror may be closer than they appear.

Liked: 268

Default flat or convex

Having had both I find I prefer the flat lenses better as the mirrors are relatively small and for me the larger image seems better.

Liked: 384

convex.
    hand down
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 608

Default vote convex

When you buy the cheap plastic "blind-spot" mirror that you stick on your real outside rearview street car mirror often the plastic will be distorted. Years ago Pegasus sold me replacement glass convex mirrors that I put over the flat ones in the spa mirrors on my 32F........big improvement. Sure the convex will alter where the car behind you appears.....but two things....you'll not only get used to that.....but all you really need see is that a car is there not that the lettering on its nose appears straight....keep your eyes mostly front

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 131

I found a really nice set of Californian mirrors to use on my Lola T540 to try to keep everything somewhat period correct. I won't use them because they're flat. If I can find convex inserts then I'll use them.
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 303

Default Replacement glass

For replacement glass just go to the dollar store and buy a mirror (flat or convex) a little larger then you need then just cut it to fit. Will cost you at most $3.

Ed

Liked: 608

Quote Originally Posted by old 59 View Post
    I found a really nice set of Californian mirrors to use on my Lola T540 to try to keep everything somewhat period correct. I won't use them because they're flat. If I can find convex inserts then I'll use them.
    check out Pegasus

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 493

Default FF

Convex
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Thread Information