Thread: Open Trailer

Classifieds Super License John Green's Avatar
    Liked: 105

Default Open Trailer

Hi, Looking to buy an open trailer for my FC Van Diemen. trying to recreate the old days in my waning years. Single axle would be fine. I know there are some gathering weeds behind your new 38ft double stacker with living quarters!!!!
    Go see it it is still there and let me know.
    Thanks

Something like this would be cool......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 3787

Build it.
    I built mine for about $1,500 with dropped axle, brakes, LED lights...
    It tilts, no ramps needed.

3. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 16

I have this old thing. It used to haul my uncles March Atlantic in the early 80’s. Not the prettiest as it’s been sitting for years. I need to fix the hitch coupler as someone ran into it.

Liked: 225

Default #2 for build it

650 lbs with ramps. Load in minutes. Slightly more than Mike's at around $2k because I paid someone to do it.

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 295

Nice looking trailers! I used to have a nice minimalist one like that....nice because you can work on the car on the trailer and it is all right where you want it so you can sit on the trailer with your legs under the car.

The 20' enclosed trailer though is good if it rains and you can park it with the car in it outside.
    It's also handy to haul a road car in it.

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 0

Default Trailer

Hi John
    I have an open trailer. Used for a formula ford . Has attached ramps and tire rack. I'm located about 6 hours from you, around Binghamton, NY. I'll take some pictures and measure it up ,if you're still looking. $400 if you're interested, Jeff

Liked: 183

having been towing my Formula Ford on an open trailer for a couple years, I would say

DON'T DO IT

The biggest issues I have with the open trailer is traffic gawking at the race car causing all kinds of issues in traffic while towing to and from the events. they innocently cause traffic jams, ride in my blind spots, I have been blocked from making a safe merge into and out of traffic due to the eye candy I am towing on the open trailer.

The next down side is the car is open to the elements. God forbid you have to drive near a farm, in the rain, or worse, just after it stop raining and all that muddy crap is going to cover every square millimeter of your car (inside and out!!)

I would recommend that you protect that investment you have in your race car and get a fully enclosed trailer.

Liked: 956

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I towed on an open trailer for 10 years because it was what I could afford. I have had issues similar to the above, but they were relatively small all things considered.

Stopping at a gas station to fuel up, I have had parents and kids come up asking about it, including taking an extra few minutes allowing a young enthusiast to climb in and let his mother take his picture. Never had an issue parked outside the motels either.

Weather? Yes, but no worse than racing in the rain, loading up and towing it home. One of my friends had a boat cover shop make a waterproof cover for the car and trailer. Worked perfectly.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

12. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 804

Few thoughts on open trailers from our early days experiences:
    1. While access to the car is nice, a solid deck cuts way down on the guch getting on the car.
    2. Don't be tempted to load the car on backwards for weight distribution; the bodywork is designed to see the wind from the front.
    3. If you have to tow overnight to get to the track, don't bother with a hotel, as you'll just stare out the window all night worrying about the exposed car.
    4. A loose tarp on the car while traveling just basically beats the paint to death.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1115

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    Don't be tempted to load the car on backwards for weight distribution; the bodywork is designed to see the wind from the front.
    Just thinking about how you might have learned that one makes me cringe.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 956

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    Just thinking about how you might have learned that one makes me cringe.
    Ahh, I had to do that too, otherwise I had negative weight on the tongue. No issues behind a pickup with a camper shell. Bodywork secured with DZUS fasteners.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 225

Default Open trailer

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw52 View Post
    having been towing my Formula Ford on an open trailer for a couple years, I would say

DON'T DO IT

The biggest issues I have with the open trailer is traffic gawking at the race car causing all kinds of issues in traffic while towing to and from the events. they innocently cause traffic jams, ride in my blind spots, I have been blocked from making a safe merge into and out of traffic due to the eye candy I am towing on the open trailer.

The next down side is the car is open to the elements. God forbid you have to drive near a farm, in the rain, or worse, just after it stop raining and all that muddy crap is going to cover every square millimeter of your car (inside and out!!)

I would recommend that you protect that investment you have in your race car and get a fully enclosed trailer.

As DanW says everyone is entitled to their opinion. And everyone’s opinion is based on their experience and is right for them.

I have towed with a single axle open trailer for over 30 years. I wouldn’t have it any other way.
    I don’t have to buy a vehicle with the towing capacity for an enclosed trailer. I have a much more comfortable ride with my A3 not only towing but as a daily driver. I can store the trailer in the garage if I want. The maneuverability is off the chart. I can horse the empty trailer around by hand without hooking up to a car. A helluva lot easier to see behind, etc, etc.

As far as dealing with the inevitable yahoo at the gas station who asks top speed and says his brother in law’s Camaro is faster than that when he finds out, I just tell him top speed in kph. Of course I’m not in Canada....

choose what you want and get on the road to your desired racing venue.

18. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information