Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default Sebring Spec Miata Red #46

I certainly hope he's banned. Or, do car counts mean more than safety ? Or, how many entries are lost "saving" one entry ?

https://youtu.be/vpHwfvn_yeg
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 536

Once is a racing incident, twice is suspicious, but having three cars off in one race is a definite sign of a punter who needs parking for a while.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 44

Agreed, that driver needs to banned.

This is the info listed on Motorsport Reg for that event. He was also registered for the Friday test day.

46 Junger, Charles Spec Miata Toyo 2003 Mazda Miata Auto Technik Great Neck, NY

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1886

Did anyone protest him? That's the first step in getting him gone.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3787

I read on another forum that a group of drivers have petitioned national headquarters and provided videos with their submittal.

Liked: 1124

That’s me in that #46 car.

Don’t you know how hard it is to race while eating a burger?
    Or while texting a belligerent girlfriend?
    Or while trying to stay composed during the news?

I thought I did darned well in juggling these multi-tasks. I even remember today’s top stories.

Liked: 605

The driver must have watched too many "big ones" on NAZCAR TV.

Liked: 554

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    Did anyone protest him? That's the first step in getting him gone.
    That's my big question, too. I think, from what I've gathered from the many Facebook discussions about the Sebring SM race, the answer is no, no one did.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    I read on another forum that a group of drivers have petitioned national headquarters and provided videos with their submittal.
    SCCA rules require drivers to initiate the protests at the track. If no one did, I think that was the big, missed opportunity.

I can imagine being in national HQ and scratching my head about this request if no one even bothered to file a protest at the track, after the race.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 956

Default Who the H@ll hit me?

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    That's my big question, too. I think, from what I've gathered from the many Facebook discussions about the Sebring SM race, the answer is no, no one did.

SCCA rules require drivers to initiate the protests at the track. If no one did, I think that was the big, missed opportunity.

I can imagine being in national HQ and scratching my head about this request if no one even bothered to file a protest at the track, after the race.
    It's pretty common the puntee does not know the number of the offending car, though the corner workers do report contact to the tech steward.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 1116

I can well imagine each individual victim thinking, "Well, that's racing" until learning later that his was not the only incident with that turkey.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 910

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    It's pretty common the puntee does not know the number of the offending car, though the corner workers do report contact to the tech steward.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    I can well imagine each individual victim thinking, "Well, that's racing" until learning later that his was not the only incident with that turkey.
    I was not at the event, so I cannot comment on the specifics. However, I do understand that the event was very lightly staffed, due in large part to COVID. That could reduce the number of pairs of eyes on the corners. Normally, flag stations would report contact to Race Control. The operating steward might take action.

In this case, there appears to be ample video evidence.

As others point out, protesting avoidable contact is very important because it creates a paper trail. Unfortunately, SCCA events are not closely linked, so incidents at one event/one track often do not follow the offender to other events and tracks.

Again, as others have pointed out, it is necessary to file the protest within certain time limits at the event. Once the event is over, it is too late.

That said, there is a mechanism called a Driver Review (see GCR 2.5 and 2.6), which examines a driver's behavior and can impose license consequences. In this particular case, I expect that Topeka would forward any request to the SEDiv Executive Steward, who is the convening authority.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1432

Just watched the video - and wow!

Next time that dude shows up at an event, just go slap one of those immobilizing boots on his car.

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 49

Someone needs to take him outside the gate off premises and take care of him the old fashioned way ????

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Banned

I've donned my nomex. If those that he was involved in a wreck with didn't protest him, they must have a different perspective than those of us on our keyboards.

The one on the front straight looked ugly, however it looked to me like both cars were having "difficulty" maintaining a straight path side by side close-ish to the wall and each other. Don't know how much of that was buffeting (these aren't open wheel cars nor 3000# GT/nascar cars) and how much was nerves/situational awareness. Don't know if there was side gusts/wind either.

I'll leave it to those involved to decide if a protest, an ass-kicking, or a handshake and "glad you're okay" was most appropriate.

Liked: 319

Default who knew?

Pastor Maldonado raced Spec Miata?
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

25. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 384

may be he got venues mixed up.
    He thought it was demolition derby???
    What a tool.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 910

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    It's a must to include this qualifier - oh - and pun was intended ...... but a simple search of charles junger, great neck ny ......yields

[but maybe it's someone else?] - see! (the qualifier)

Maybe edit out the contact info. That invites harassment.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

28. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 307

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    I've donned my nomex. If those that he was involved in a wreck with didn't protest him, they must have a different perspective than those of us on our keyboards.

The one on the front straight looked ugly, however it looked to me like both cars were having "difficulty" maintaining a straight path side by side close-ish to the wall and each other. Don't know how much of that was buffeting (these aren't open wheel cars nor 3000# GT/nascar cars) and how much was nerves/situational awareness. Don't know if there was side gusts/wind either.

I'll leave it to those involved to decide if a protest, an ass-kicking, or a handshake and "glad you're okay" was most appropriate.
    Instability IS what the front straight at Sebring is all about. That being said incident did not look accidental.

Liked: 146

We should get used to situations like this in all club categories, since now I think you can get a National license out of a Cracker Jack box....
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Instability IS what the front straight at Sebring is all about. That being said incident did not look accidental.
    You're correct it didn't look accidental, doesn't mean it wasn't. Looks like a game of chicken and nobody blinked, more than a purposeful PIT to me.

Liked: 53

Aren't the first and third incidents involving the orange car precisely the kind of "dive bomb" moves the SCCA was trying to eliminate with last year's rules memo? Although one might hope for greater situational awareness of the passee, I think SCCA has basically said that if you're not alongside at the start of the braking zone, you're at fault.

Liked: 307

I am hearing that Registrar's have been notified to 'reject his entry's'. Don't know if that is a fact. Don't know how it can be done without some form of a hearing and adjudication.

Liked: 956

Default Probation and Suspension list

"mmi16- I am hearing that Registrar's have been notified to 'reject his entry's'. Don't know if that is a fact. Don't know how it can be done without some form of a hearing and adjudication."

Yes some adjudication is required, usually the SOM is called upon to adjudicate the incident if the Tech Steward is unable to do so in impound. A "Request for Action" is completed by the Tech Steward and the issue goes to the SOM. Interviews of the competitors are taken, along with video review. There is an recommended penalty document that is used as guidance for penalties if warranted.

Topeka publishes an excel spreadsheet of driver probation and suspensions every week. The individual was not on the list as of last week. It may be in process for this coming week if it was indeed protested and the stewards got involved.

"LarryWinkelman- Aren't the first and third incidents involving the orange car precisely the kind of "dive bomb" moves the SCCA was trying to eliminate with last year's rules memo? Although one might hope for greater situational awareness of the passee, I think SCCA has basically said that if you're not alongside at the start of the braking zone, you're at fault."

The most current GCR published the revised guidance for passing guidelines. https://www.scca.com/downloads/50288...20pdf/download
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

35. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 353

GCR Pg 39 (February, 2021 Edition)

4.4.6. Refusing an Entry
    Even if an entry meets all the requirements outlined in 4.4.1., above, the organizers have the right to refuse
    an entry without giving a reason. If an entry is refused, notification must be sent to the entrant or driver at
    the address on the Entry Form as soon as possible, and normally at least 5 days before the event.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Liked: 146

If he is suspended, I assume all attempts to inform him are being made through his known avenues of communication? What if he shows up somewhere and enters on the spot?
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Contributing Member CheckeredFlag's Avatar
    Liked: 120

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    <<snip>>Topeka publishes an excel spreadsheet of driver probation and suspensions every week.<<snip>>
    Is this list widely available?
    Dean Fehribach
    Car owner: SCCA Enterprises FE2 chassis #037.
    Car owner: 2017 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Autocross STU

Liked: 353

Quote Originally Posted by dalz View Post
    If he is suspended, I assume all attempts to inform him are being made through his known avenues of communication? What if he shows up somewhere and enters on the spot?
    I doubt he's suspended. It takes a fair amount of time to convene a driver review and then adjudicate it. See my previous post. A region can refuse an entry without any support from Topeka or even the local Executive Steward.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Liked: 605

As to entering on the spot.........thanks to CoVid..........at least here in the Cent. Fla. Region SCCA - all entries must be through motorsportreg.com and made at least about five days before the event - no walk ups.

Thread Information