Liked: 97

Default WTB or borrow for 2 months, fuel cell

Hello everyone, I am looking for a fuel cell to use in a z16 Zink to buy or borrow for a couple of months.

z16 will of course work or I have found the mid 90's Van Diemen will fit also. I don't know what else might fit.
    The fuel cell people are all booked up right now.
    The original tank actually seems OK but is filled with ruined foam from sitting from 25 years. It doesn't have an inspection hole to get in to clean it out.
    Thanks very much,
    Skip Weld

Liked: 246

If you really think the cell is ok, just cut an inspection/foam replacement hole. The nutrings and plates are not that expensive and come in multiple sizes. Available from any of the cell manufacturers, aircraft supply places, and i think even Pegasus. New foam is also available. Have done this on a couple of old Marston bags cells with good success. If the cell is old and dried out that is another story. In any case use at your own risk. Todd

3. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

Quote Originally Posted by tstrong View Post
    If you really think the cell is ok, just cut an inspection/foam replacement hole. The nutrings and plates are not that expensive and come in multiple sizes. Available from any of the cell manufacturers, aircraft supply places, and i think even Pegasus. New foam is also available. Have done this on a couple of old Marston bags cells with good success. If the cell is old and dried out that is another story. In any case use at your own risk. Todd
    And if you do that, I think Michael Gue had the nutrings and plates for sale.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 48

Is there a chemical that breaks down the foam instantly without damaging the cell?
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Weld View Post
    Hello everyone, I am looking for a fuel cell to use in a z16 Zink to buy or borrow for a couple of months.

z16 will of course work or I have found the mid 90's Van Diemen will fit also. I don't know what else might fit.
    The fuel cell people are all booked up right now.
    The original tank actually seems OK but is filled with ruined foam from sitting from 25 years. It doesn't have an inspection hole to get in to clean it out.
    Thanks very much,
    Skip Weld
    Skip. I have this one that I recently bought as a spare along with some other Van Diemen parts. I don't really want to sell it, but could certainly work something out to help you. Bruce
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 319

Default pump 93 octane

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lenhart View Post
    Is there a chemical that breaks down the foam instantly without damaging the cell?
    With Ethanol?
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by hdsporty1988 View Post
    Skip. I have this one that I recently bought as a spare along with some other Van Diemen parts. I don't really want to sell it, but could certainly work something out to help you. Bruce
    Hi Bruce, That might work very well. I Would need it in a couple of weeks, We are trying to get the car together for a drivers school at Savannah in February. Do you know anything about the age of the foam inside?
    Thanks, Skip

Quote Originally Posted by hdsporty1988 View Post
    Hi Bruce, That might work very well. I Would need it in a couple of weeks, We are trying to get the car together for a drivers school at Savannah in February. Do you know anything about the age of the foam inside?
    Thanks, Skip

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Weld View Post
    Thanks, Skip
    Skip, just saw this response. Call me at 847-754-8271

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

I just put an ATL FC150 (5 gallon) in my Z16. Snug fit under/behind the seat. I can send you photos if you like. If the foam is breaking up use a shop vac to suck it out.
    Graham

Liked: 225

Default Foam removal

Skip, I once spent the better part of a Saturday morning with those 12” long forceps you get at Harbor Freight pulling out old, perished foam from a RF94 cell. Once clear, sent a bunch of 1” to 1 1/2” square rectangular cubes (if that makes sense) to replace the foam I removed. Earned me 2-3 years as I recall.

John

Liked: 955

Default Fooom!

Quote Originally Posted by Earley Motorsports View Post
    I just put an ATL FC150 (5 gallon) in my Z16. Snug fit under/behind the seat. I can send you photos if you like. If the foam is breaking up use a shop vac to suck it out.
    Umm, I would not recommend using a vacuum to suck foam out of a fuel cell if there is ANY hint of fuel fumes. Any fumes hit the vacuum fan motor brushes, or simply static discharge......
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Umm, I would not recommend using a vacuum to suck foam out of a fuel cell if there is ANY hint of fuel fumes. Any fumes hit the vacuum fan motor brushes, or simply static discharge......

Oh yes agree fully. I was going on the assumption of the car not been running in a long time. You could also put water in it to help with the problem of minor fumes. Suck it all out.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Earley Motorsports View Post
    Hi Graham, I thought they were too long for that car. I think I only have 14.5 inches in length between the horizontal floor brace and the firewall behind the fuel cell that is in front of the water pump. Thanks,
    Skip

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1492

John Hersher - I thought I was the only person that went through that hell! I think it was for my 72 royale. Same deal - I stuck a number of items down the fill pipe slicing and pulling foam and then putting in a gallon of gas and dumping it out through a filter. then stuffed cubes in the fill pipe!

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information