Liked: 225

Default Visiting the track as a non particpant

Hi All

It may be different in other regions, and I suppose this was changed a while ago and I missed it, but I decided that I wanted to go to Sebring this weekend as a member, non participant. In the past, you'd just show up and show your current membership card, sign the waiver and go on in. Not allowed in the hot areas, etc.

I had the foresight to check with the registrar to see if there were any changes due to CoVid-19. I was instructed to go to Motorsportsreg.com and register as a volunteer, member, non participant. Took 2 minutes.

This change may be due to the region or SCCA changing the rules, to Hagerty taking over Motorsportsreg, the pandemic, or as mentioned earlier, it may be that it changed a long time ago and I missed it.

Just putting this out there for others who may be interested.

John
    Last edited by JHerscher; 01.12.21 at 3:19 PM.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 910

Quote Originally Posted by JHerscher View Post
    Hi All

It may be different in other regions, and I suppose this was changed a while ago and I missed it, but I decided that I wanted to go to Sebring this weekend as a member, non participant. In the past, you'd just show up and show your current membership card, sign the waiver and go on in. Not allowed in the hot areas, etc.

This had the foresight to check with the registrar to see if there were any changes due to CoVid-19. I was instructed to go to Motorsportsreg.com and register as a volunteer, member, non participant. Took 2 minutes.

This change may be due to the region or SCCA changing the rules, to Hagerty taking over Motorsportsreg, the pandemic, or as mentioned earlier, it may be that it changed a long time ago and I missed it.

Just putting this out there for others who may be interested.

John
    Also, especially these days, there are track restrictions on non-participants. For example, NJMP limited headcount to one crew per driver, and no spectators. Because Covid.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Releases are being signed online now too. So everything is contactless.

Liked: 536

Of course, if you're going there as a member, why not volunteer on a corner? Lots of fun, close to the track, free meals (usually).

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default not just races...........

or Covid...

Funny one here....local members can't just show up to a solo event and observe, visit, or even work for a bit...That changed 4-5-more yrs ago...have to register (online), then stay on property from first, until the last run is done..... No one allowed to stop and watch, either.

Sort of kills interaction between "racers" and other club members, particularly with no meetings in a non-racing region....worse: even new prospects are "barred at the gate" when only wanting to see what goes on....how to get involved....

Tag: "Secret Car Club" has become more correct with time....can't even get a roster to send Christmas cards, or call like minds anymore to see if they are still alive....have parts...!

Such are our times....can't say better.

Okie ( aka, "the Kid"....joined while in school, before owning any car....now, life member. aged racer, fewer friends....?)

7. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 1121

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L. View Post
    ... Sort of kills interaction between "racers" and other club members, particularly with no meetings in a non-racing region....worse: even new prospects are "barred at the gate" when only wanting to see what goes on....how to get involved....
    A general comment not related to COVID...

^^^ This ^^^

And sadly, and only to the Club’s further detriment, there’s nothing new about it. If a fan since the Elkhart Lake road races and his soon-to-be karter son show up at a then-SCCA National, they’re likely to be turned away. At least, my dad and I were at Blackhawk in late-‘74 — and we were in a Jade green ‘69 Shelby, should it have been a presentation matter. ;-)

He didn’t want to commit to a family membership on the spot (if I’m right that he could have), so back home we went. My dad joined over the winter, and next time we went back I was on my very-first “assignment” for Milwaukee Region’s “The Drift” newsletter.

”So there,” one might think... but the point is, in most cases I’d think, we may have never come back. Who else went away?

Sell an insured one-day pass and be done with it.

Liked: 353

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    A general comment not related to COVID...

^^^ This ^^^

And sadly, and only to the Club’s further detriment, there’s nothing new about it. If a fan since the Elkhart Lake road races and his soon-to-be karter son show up at a then-SCCA National, they’re likely to be turned away. At least, my dad and I were at Blackhawk in late-‘74 — and we were in a Jade green ‘69 Shelby, should it have been a presentation matter. ;-)

He didn’t want to commit to a family membership on the spot (if I’m right that he could have), so back home we went. My dad joined over the winter, and next time we went back I was on my very-first “assignment” for Milwaukee Region’s “The Drift” newsletter.

”So there,” one might think... but the point is, in most cases I’d think, we may have never come back. Who else went away?

Sell an insured one-day pass and be done with it.
    All SCCA Road Racing sanctions have been spectator sanctions for a long time. There is currently a trial membership program in widespread use.

At this point, it's a mixed bag with tracks. Some allow entry. Some require a gate fee. Those who do, for the most part, won't negotiate on the subject.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Liked: 1121

For sure, and a gate fee is absolutely fine.

An exception... us Rockytypes are lucky to have High Plains Raceway for their fan support. We go as often as we can.

Liked: 353

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    For sure, and a gate fee is absolutely fine.

An exception... us Rockytypes are lucky to have High Plains Raceway for their fan support. We go as often as we can.
    Us Rockytypes? Left Colorado in March.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3787

Default damn

I think I'm screwed.
    I was thinking I would drive down tomorrow and cover the formula car races for Apexspeed. Thought I would drive the motorhome up to the gate, sign some forms and go in. Just like Atlanta last November...
    I'm so old school naive.

I have been working 12 hours a day and just saw John's post. Went out to MotorsportReg and all registration is closed.
    I'm not on any crew lists, because crew sizes were limited.
    Supps say it is a Non-spectator event.
    Don't want to drive 6 hours and find out I can't get in.

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default Contact the registrar

Mike, you might want to shoot Robin an email. No guarantee but possible I suppose.

cfrreg2@aol.com

John,
    Maybe you should be the "roving reporter".

Default Roving reporter

No can do.

Two reasons
    1-too much responsibility for the pay.
    2-too big a pair of shoes to fill...

Liked: 605

A little late now but...in future. Register as if you were going to work a corner, show up, register, go anywhere

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 955

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    I think I'm screwed.
    I was thinking I would drive down tomorrow and cover the formula car races for Apexspeed. Thought I would drive the motorhome up to the gate, sign some forms and go in. Just like Atlanta last November...
    I'm so old school naive.

I have been working 12 hours a day and just saw John's post. Went out to MotorsportReg and all registration is closed.
    I'm not on any crew lists, because crew sizes were limited.
    Supps say it is a Non-spectator event.
    Don't want to drive 6 hours and find out I can't get in.

Is there a pro shop on site, or perhaps Trackside Tim? Tell them you are there to be fitted for a driver suit.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 375

Have Defer, Morgan or JRII email Robin and add you to their crew list (you can’t make changes at the window this weekend), there’s gotta be room for you somewhere.

Liked: 14

Thanks for Posting I would have driven up for nothing. Saw it late

I have to laugh a bit.

Sebring, an outside event is closed tighter than a drum, but all the rest of Florida is like the wild wild west.

I'm not complaining because we are still playing it safe.

25. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 481

Post in the appropriate forum for your class

Most of us have space on our crew and can change or add at registration.

As stated, varies by region.

No potential racer or worker should ever be locked out of attending an SCCA event.

If in the NE- contact anyone in the FV community and we can help.

Note: everyone should be educated on Covid and agree to follow SCCA rules of masks and social distancing.

ChrisZ

27. The following members LIKED this post:

Find an RV going in well before they approach the gate guard........ask 'em if you can hide in the back or under a bed as they drive in while they show their wristbands to the guard. Later hitchhike out by standing by the drive over bridge for anyone leaving.

Liked: 14

Stan that's funny. If I did not know better I would think you are encouraging law breaking actions. Think I will just pass.

Liked: 955

Default Brings back memories...

Quote Originally Posted by swifttiga View Post
    Stan that's funny. If I did not know better I would think you are encouraging law breaking actions. Think I will just pass.
    We all did that as kids to get in to the drive in movies, only it was in the trunk of a Buick.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

31. The following members LIKED this post:

It's not breaking any Law...........it's merely a 60's acid flash-back wherein one IS beleiving they're at a drive-in.....enjoy the movie......you'll think it's Gran Prix

33. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information