Contributing Member
    Liked: 322

Default Swift DB3 #06085 - info, history?

Recently I bought a very sorry-looking Swift DB3 chassis, which I plan to restore.

The only indication of a number is 06085 stamped on the top of the dash hoop structure.

Does this mean anything to anyone? I'm assuming it is the frame i.d. so number 060 from 1985?

It would be good to find something of the early life of this particular chassis. From the age I figure it is a US-built one as 1985 pre-dates the UK cars.

Before I bought it, the car was partly stripped of parts including:

- Oil tank/adapter
    - Front rockers, wishbones and uprights
    - Rear rockers and wishbones
    - Steering rack
    -Pedals

If anyone has parts available, at a fair price as I will need to cover the cost of shipping across the pond, please let me know.

It's not going to be a quick completion project as first I need to sort out the horrible "modifications" around the cockpit top rails and diagonals.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1124

I don’t cross-forum much, but do recommend also posting this on The Nostalgia Forum on Autosport. The largest contingency posting there are Brits, many whom I’ve known a while and several raced Formula Ford in that exact era.

Posting photos can only help, too.

Best of Luck!

Liked: 229

Quote Originally Posted by tlracer View Post
    Recently I bought a very sorry-looking Swift DB3 chassis, which I plan to restore.

The only indication of a number is 06085 stamped on the top of the dash hoop structure.

Does this mean anything to anyone? I'm assuming it is the frame i.d. so number 060 from 1985?

It would be good to find something of the early life of this particular chassis. From the age I figure it is a US-built one as 1985 pre-dates the UK cars.

Before I bought it, the car was partly stripped of parts including:

- Oil tank/adapter
    - Front rockers, wishbones and uprights
    - Rear rockers and wishbones
    - Steering rack
    -Pedals

If anyone has parts available, at a fair price as I will need to cover the cost of shipping across the pond, please let me know.

It's not going to be a quick completion project as first I need to sort out the horrible "modifications" around the cockpit top rails and diagonals.

If I remember the first two numbers were the region of record that assigned the log book and the last few were the number in sequence that the region has issued logs to.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 860

Quote Originally Posted by Pi_guy View Post
    If I remember the first two numbers were the region of record that assigned the log book and the last few were the number in sequence that the region has issued logs to.
    That was my first thought, then I realized that he said it was on the dash hoop. I've never seen any SCCA stamping on anything but the roll bar. The format is the Swift format (frame 60 made in 1985), same as all 3 of my Swifts ID numbers in their logbooks.

It's really tough without an original or previous owner names to try to trace a history. But as Pi_Guy mentioned, the main roll bar number could get the ball rolling with the original Region it was raced in.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 322

Thanks all for the help so far - the plan is to strip the powder coat/paint locally to the repairs on the cockpit rails, then strip the whole frame and re-finish.

Possibly at that stage we may reveal any other numbers, currently hidden under the layers!

The good news is that the chassis is straight, so I'm hopeful the repairs will be problem free.

Parts availability in the UK is variable - some parts like rockers, wishbones and uprights are available new, but other parts are scarce.

The differences that evolved between US and UK cars, together with several changes in the UK company's ownership and technical direction, also means some available UK parts don't work on earlier cars.
    Last edited by tlracer; 12.27.20 at 3:52 PM.

Thread Information