Liked: 447

Default Does anyone have a modest racing safety gear bag they like?

I've dragged around a giant Thor motocross bag around my entire racing venture, but it's heavy and cumbersome. I see some offerings from Alpinestars and Sparco in the few hundred dollar range, but I'm looking for something that would nicely fit my helmet, suit, HANS, shoes and underwear that isn't that pricey and could withstand air travel as a carryon. Maybe $100-150 range. Any suggestions?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

I ended up using 2 bags.

This is one of them: $40
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gfr-1005

The other is a pyrotect bag.

I have found if everything goes in 1 bag it becomes heavy and unorganized and my wife doesn't like that and what else matters?

Liked: 536

I don't know about modest, but I'm thinking about a Pelican hard case with wheels where I can shape the foam to fit the helmet and lock it all up so ham-handed baggage handlers don't squish it. Then again, I don't fly much any more...

Liked: 447

Quote Originally Posted by Bardahl77 View Post
    I don't know about modest, but I'm thinking about a Pelican hard case with wheels where I can shape the foam to fit the helmet and lock it all up so ham-handed baggage handlers don't squish it. Then again, I don't fly much any more...
    Was thinking more of a lighter bag and using it as a carry on. The bag I have is pretty heavy duty already (20+lbs by itself) and the day to day usage is a pain.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 536

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    Was thinking more of a lighter bag and using it as a carry on. The bag I have is pretty heavy duty already (20+lbs by itself) and the day to day usage is a pain.
    Yeah, more of a checked bag thing. I'd like to find a backpack-style, be easier to carry with other luggage. Plus if the plane goes down you might have time to put on the gear.

Liked: 110

For the past couple of seasons I've been using a Southwest Airlines duffel bag -- the sort that they sell you at the ticket counter if you need to check something extra. It's the perfect size for my helmet, shoes, socks, suit, gloves, balaclava, underwear, and Hans device. It feels well-built and durable. Best of all, it was only $25:

https://www.swathestore.com/swathest...-bag/p-SWA0053

Jeff

Liked: 36

I have an old sport duffel bag, can't remember the brand off hand, that just barely fits everything. Some cheap thrift shop find but it's held up for 10+ years.
    Van Diemen RF78 #258

Liked: 958

I have an older Simpson bag that holds the helmet, Hans, suit, underwear, boots and gloves. Big main compartment for your hat and suit, plus smaller ones for your boots and gloves at either end. Mine doesn't have wheels, but this one does.

https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...ng-formula-bag
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 282

A word of advise after having one of my drivers lose all of his gear to theft by baggage handlers. NEVER check your gear when flying, especially your helmet.

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 930

I have a large duffel bag with a shoulder strap that zips closed that I bought at a flea market for less than $20 about 20 years ago. Holds 2 suits, 2 pairs shoes, 5 0r 6 pieces of undies, helmet bag couple extra pairs of gloves, extra pair of arm restraints and who know all what else.

It is big and was cheap and has held up for a long time.

Just cause it is big does not mean that you have to load it like crazy with stuff like I do.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Banned
    Liked: 1116

My dad bought me a large black leather duffle bag in 1989. It has heavy duty zippers along it's length, a hard base insert, extra zippered pockets on each end and along one length. Worked great and held up for 17 years of racing, wouldn't part with for sentimental reasons. But I imagine you might find something on ebay/craigslist/offer up in your price range.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1495

As far as duffels go, it's hard to eat anything from Patagonia, Cabelas, BPS, and TNF. Rugged and a size for every need.

I think you'd be hard pressed to put everything in a carry-on. I bought a nice Samsonite rolling duffel at Costco several years back. It's just short of a yard long, and probably 12 x 16 otherwise. The suit, tear offs, and all the underwear goes in the bottom. Ends hold the HANS, shoes, and socks. Top compartment has the Helmet, gloves, and all the other little bits (hard parts for the HANS, radio earbuds, polishing cloths etc. It's tight, would take something very custom to get the load smaller.

The HANS is the major issue - just doesn't fit well anywhere.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1124

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Michael View Post
    A word of advise after having one of my drivers lose all of his gear to theft by baggage handlers. NEVER check your gear when flying, especially your helmet.
    This is great advice.

The Missus was a flight attendant for over 15 years, and there were definitely cases like yours. A regular passenger of hers was Danny Sullivan, once he got to know her and our work in IndyCar he’d just hand her the bag and thank her again, by name.

I bought a large Benetton duffel in 1989 to carry my gear, but would never ever consider checking it — but I don’t know the current size regulations of checked baggage. Plus I like knowing any impacts to my helmet, if not its paint I did myself.

Liked: 608

Years ago while doing an FDA study for Bausch & Lomb I was shipped several cases of duffel bags that said Bausch & Lomb on their sides to give to the Patients in the study............long after the study was over. So I gave 'em to all the local racing buddies. My helmet is in its own bag. Everything else [HANS, gloves, arm restraints, socks, shoes in their own grocery store disposable type bag, suit, copy of the GCR, foot powder, balaclava, spare socks, spare balaclava, tear offs, knee pads, shoe horn] fits in the duffel bag. It's just like the Rockland duffel bag at Amazon for $18.

Liked: 225

Default Gear bag

I use two bags. A separate helmet bag and one for everything else. Two sets of undies, 3 layer suit, spare gloves, visors, etc. all fit. Plus it has a spiffy formula car embroidered on it!

https://www.primusracingparts.com/OGIO-Gear-Bag-7-day-delivery-upon-order_p_37.html

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 4

We use the Ogio 9800 sleds for our clients. Has room for helmet, suit and all gear along with a change of extra clothes etc. It's a really nice roller bag that is relatively inexpensive.

Thread Information