Liked: 79

Default Open Wheel Track Day Nelson Ledges

We have Weds. June 3rd as an open wheel track day available at Nelson Ledges (open wheel cars only). Corner workers, flagging and an ambulance will be on site for an 8 hour day. Camping will be available the night before...I am not sure of electrical hookups. If on the Monday before it looks like a rain out...they agreed to us re-scheduling.

In order for this to work, I need at minimum 20 checks in my hand payable to Nelson Ledges in the amount of 350.00 each by May 1, 2020. If we do not reach this, all checks will be returned.

The general consensus is to have it a completely open track, however, safety will always be the priority. Depending on the amount and types of cars involved, we may have several groups. The goal is to get us as much track time as possible in a safe environment.

For those of you who have not been to this track since it has been re-paved...it is like racing on a pool table.

If you are interested, please let me know...if we end up with 25 or 30 cars, our entry fee will decrease.

ej

2. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 3319

I am interested - please keep us informed.

Thanks,
    Dave Weitzenhof

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 482

Default IN

Barring catastrophe, I’m in.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 69

Interested - subscribing for updates (now to get back to work on the car(s)!
    Craig Butt

Liked: 40

Are sports racers welcomed to join or is this strictly open wheeled only?

Sports racers and all sedans can go to their already established track days...the third weds of every month. June 3rd would be open wheel only.

BTW, electric will be available, but no RV hook ups.

Liked: 108

Default Thanks

I'm in. I'll bring you a check next time you make/ fix something for us , which I'm sure will be soon! Lol
    Thanks for setting this up

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 17

I’m also interested. I’ll have to wait to see how the schedule fills out a little bit before committing.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 45

I'm tentatively in. I'll need an address to send the check to. Did the May date not work out?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 269

I am interested

I want to give out my email as we get closer to the June 3rd date to so I can put together a mailing list to keep those interested up to date. Please reach out to me if interested...again, I need 20 entries by May 1st at 350.00/driver in my hands no later than May 1st. This will be posted on the Nelson website as an Open Wheel track day. All checks must be made out to Nelson Ledges...I am only collecting on their behalf. Drivers will not be required to have a Pro license to participate. This day will have corner workers and an ambulance on site. If on that Monday it looks like rain...they have agreed to allow us to reschedule. If we don't reach the 20 car goal, all checks will be returned.

ej

ejkorecky@yahoo.com

Also, if you could let me know what type of car(s) you will be bringing.

ej

If I have my latest update of the rear suspension installed by then, I will be bringing an F2000 (FC).
    Dave Weitzenhof

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 151

Default Nelson test day

Sounds like a great opportunity I'll try to get the word out to the FST guys about this date. We might have some takers. We had a Promo event at Nelson in the Fall and it was awesome and we got some new prospective drivers in cars too. We did something for safety's sake that you might want to emulate. We just got all the in car radios we could on the same channel as mine. I stood up in the starter's stand and the starter had a radio connected to his corner stations. We had only one off track incident and it was reported simultaneously by both system so the yellow flags instantly went out and all was fine. It made everyone happy. Also see if Aaron King can run the lunch service--he did a nice job for us.

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1

Would potentially be interested. Please keep us in the loop - dan@kartwerksusa.com

24. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Nelson Ledges Track Day Update

Again, I hope this finds all of you healthy and safe.

After recent communication with Nelson Ledges, we are still on for our open wheel track day Weds June 3rd. Cost for the day is 350.00/driver. This will include flagging, corner workers and an ambulance on site. Camping will be available the night before (gates open at 5:00 p.m.). Gates Weds morning open at 7:00 a.m., drivers meeting will be at 8:30 a.m., and track will be hot at 9:00 am. There will be a 1 hour lunch break...the track will be completely closed during that time...no walking or any other vehicles will be permitted on track at that time.

If on the Monday before it looks like rain, we will be able to reschedule. Please have some dates in mind in case this happens.

The first hour session will be reserved for new drivers and/or cars that are not quit up to speed. We will be requiring all new and unlicensed drivers to have their rain light on all day while on track. Based on the amount and types of cars entered for the day, we may have 2 groups. All will be discussed at the drivers meeting, and Nelson will have the final say on this. It is possible that if we have 2 groups and drivers end their day early, we could go to an open track.

Towing will be available, however, if you require a wrecker, that will be your responsibility to arrange.

If you show up at the track without pre-paying, cost will be 400.00 at the gate.

Absolutely no kids or pets will be permitted on the hot pit road.

A local food concession stand will be on site...from what I have heard, their food is really good...one less thing to worry about packing.

So it comes down to this...I need all that are interested in attending to mail me a check payable to Nelson Ledges ASAP. 350.00/driver, not per car. I will be hand delivering all checks directly to the track on 5/15. Should our stay at home orders change with regard to June 3rd prior to 5/15, I will be in touch and let you know what our options are.

Please mail to:

EJ Korecky
    1155 W Parkway Blvd
    Aurora, Ohio 44202
    330-357-1665

Mention the type of car you plan on bringing so we have an idea ahead of time what to expect.

Feel free to contact me at any time if you have any questions. I am not commissioned or employed by Nelson Ledges.

Stay Safe,

ej

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4360

Quote Originally Posted by ejsprint30 View Post

So it comes down to this...I need all that are interested in attending to mail me a check payable to Nelson Ledges ASAP. 350.00/driver, not per car. I will be hand delivering all checks directly to the track on 5/15. Should our stay at home orders change with regard to June 3rd prior to 5/15, I will be in touch and let you know what our options are.

Please mail to:

EJ Korecky
    1155 W Parkway Blvd
    Aurora, Ohio 44202
    330-357-1665

I am sending a check to EJ today.
    C'mon people. Let's make this happen!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

27. The following members LIKED this post:

Default I'm in

Will be mailing my check today.
    Dave Weitzenhof

29. The following members LIKED this post:

Spoke with Nelson today, and we are on!

Due to the current circumstances, they are not holding us to this Friday (15th) being the cut off day for $, but I highly recommend that if you are planning on attending to send in money asap.

Looks like we will have at least 15 drivers so far, so we will be maintaining the 350.00 price point with flagging, corner workers and ambulance.

Nelson is preparing a statement with regard to how safety standards will be met amidst the covid crisis at our track day. I have reached out and asked if releases, etc can be emailed and either mailed back or signed at home ahead of time. I will keep you updated.

Anyone still interested can still mail me a check, or you can pay an extra 50 bucks at the gate. If you choose the later, please let me know you are coming and what type of car you plan on bringing.

Feel free to contact me with any questions,

ej
    ejkorecky@yahoo.com

32. The following members LIKED this post:

Met with the track yesterday. I know many of you have questions with regard to safety and the COVID 19 situation. The following is Nelson's statement...

"All state required safety mandates with regard to COVID 19 will be in place and enforced on 6/3/2020 Open Wheel Track Day."

The track's waiver will be signed when you arrive at the track...bring your own pen. Also, bring your own face masks to be worn where and when required.

My waiver can either be downloaded and signed ahead of time, or at the track.

A few Reminders...

There will be no fuel available at the track.

Food concessions will be on site.

You still have time to pre enter by mailing me a check payable to Nelson Ledges in the amount of 350.00/driver.

If you choose to pay at the gate, it will be CASH only in the amount of 400.00/driver. If you decide to do this, please let me know so we have an idea of how many are coming.

Gates Tuesday evening will be open at 5:00 p.m. for those arriving to camp the night before.

Gates will be open at 7:00 a.m. Weds. morning. Track will be hot at 9:00 a.m., closed for a 1 hour lunch break, and closed for the day at 5:00 p.m.

Pit out will be controlled by the flagman in the flagging tower by means of red and green lights visible at the bridge. All details of the day will be discussed at the morning drivers meeting (between 8 and 8:30 a.m.)

We will have 2 groups...a club and a pro group. You will know where you fit.

Absolutely no kids or pets allowed on pit road.

All new or unlicensed drivers must run rain light.

Towing will be available, but if you need a wrecker, you must make arrangements yourself.

I currently have 12 pre-entries with the promise of 2 in the mail. 3 more are planning on paying at the gate.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions...see you all there!

ej
    330-357-1665

Liked: 111

I was at the track last weekend.

Surface is very smooth. The classic undulation at the end of the back straight are still there but that is part of the classic Nelson elevation change. Curbs are nice.

Tire walls are restacked and rebuilt.

Front straight has the walls moved back.

Lots of trees cleared off of Turns 1, 2 and Oak Tree. Looks weird without them there.

35. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks for your post,

ej

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4360

Quote Originally Posted by iamuwere View Post

Surface is very smooth. The classic undulation at the end of the back straight are still there but that is part of the classic Nelson elevation change. Curbs are nice.
    Thanks. What was the tire wear like?
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 3

I plan to be there assuming my seat gets completed the day prior.

39. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 111

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Thanks. What was the tire wear like?

Sadly I wasn't there with a racecar, so hard to comment.

The asphalt seems to be a bit coarser aggregate than MidOhio. More in line with the material used at VIR or Road Atlanta if I were to guess tire wear characteristics, but as I said, no on track use of Hoosiers yet.

Default Probable Rain Out

Wednesday weather is not looking good at all...We will make our final decision tomorrow before noon, but I think we will be a rain out.

Other open dates in June (though not 100% confirmed with track yet) 10th, 11th, 15th, 29th, 30th

After speaking with Nelson this morning, we both felt it would be in everyones best interest to cancel due to weather. Unfortunately, there has not been enough interest to justify scheduling an alternative date in the near term. I will be working with them to see if we can attempt another date in late summer/early fall.

For those of you that have sent checks, I can either shred or return your checks as they have not been deposited.

ej

That's too bad. I was really hoping to get testing in before my 1st race at Pitt June 18-21.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 108

Default Nelson test & tune next Tuesday

There is a test and tune day scheduled next Tuesday at Nelson ledges. It is being hosted by Kryderacing. I talked with Sandy today an confirmed an open wheel group. Cost is $250
    Info at Nelson ledges web site.

Liked: 0

Well, pooh! After a morning shower, it turned out to be a pretty nice day (over here in Cleveland anyway). Darned weatherman.
    Thomas Benham

Here in Bath, it never rained a drop all day Wednesday.

Too bad weathermen just can't predict unstable, humid, weather worth a crap.

I've seen it both ways:
    0% chance of rain and it's pouring
    90% chance of rain, but no rain at all.

EJ had to make a decision Monday so people could cancel motels, etc. Cancellation was forced with people dropping out due to the forecast, and of course, the forecast itself, which, as of Monday still said 80% chance of thunderstorms.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    EJ had to make a decision Monday so people could cancel motels, etc. Cancellation was forced with people dropping out due to the forecast, and of course, the forecast itself, which, as of Monday still said 80% chance of thunderstorms.
    Yeah the forecast was pretty bleak when EJ called it. It was the right decision, having a $5000 rainy picnic at Nelson would have really sucked.
    Thomas Benham

Was curious if anyone attended the KryderRacing Test and Tun at Nelson, what the turnout was and how it went.

ej

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 45

Quote Originally Posted by ejsprint30 View Post
    Was curious if anyone attended the KryderRacing Test and Tun at Nelson, what the turnout was and how it went.

ej
    I was there and several other FF's were also. I think in total maybe 20 cars in three groups and maybe 7 FF's. Most people left before the end and so you could have all the time you wanted if you stayed around. It was 95 degrees and a blazing sun. There were corner workers and an ambulance. The Track lady I talked to said it never rained there the entire day, but had it been the scheduled day I could not have gone.

Default Nelson Track Days

Nelson Ledges is having another Reed Kryder test and tune day on 9/22. This date is not on their calendar, but the track just confirmed this date with me. Cost is 250.00/driver with corner workers, flagging and an ambulance on site.

They have both open and closed wheel groups. I have been to 2 of these T&T days at Nelson and they provide more track time than you can possibly use and are very professionally run. The concession food is fantastic as well.

I am for sure planning on attending this date to get a little more experience on these new Hoosier radials. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions.

ej

A few laps at Nelson about a month ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TuI3tvgbH0&t=8s

Thread Information