Thread: Gps

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 111

Default Gps

Ok. I have a GPS (no smarty cam) connected to an AIM but its not working.. I am sure its user error but the lack of laptimes, and separate laps is killing my ability to crunch the data for other things.... I always used the old beam system before and not sure if I need to execute the procedure below. Any input would be appreciated.

3.5 – How to set GPS Lap timer (EVO4 or EVO3 Pro/Pista with external GPS Module only)
    Formula Steering wheel allows to use the GPS integrated in EVO4 as well as an AIM external GPS Module connected to EVO3 Pro/Pista to sample lap time without having an optical receiver/transmitter. To set GPS Lap timer1 press “VIEW” button until this screen appears. ?
    ?
    Activate “ENTER” command (“MEM/OK” button). This screen appears. Enter the track with the vehicle, select the physical points where to sample lap and split times and press “ENTER” (“MEM/OK” button). ?
    In case split times have been set via software – refer to Race Studio Configuration user manual for further information – the screen here on the right appears. ?
    Use “ENTER” (“MEM/OK” button) to set splits. The display shows as many splits as have been set less one, to say if the dash is configured with 6 lap segments user is

Thanks!
    Cj
    txt 920-904-6099
    ctjahn@courtneyjahn.com

Liked: 286

Use Race Studio 2 to configure the GPS, under the System Tab, select "Use GPS Lap Timer". Use the stand-alone GPS Manager to load tracks into the logger / GPS -- DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE BUTTONS to set track coordinates.

See this manual since it covers your exact type of system:

https://www.aim-sportline.com/downlo...05_102_eng.pdf
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Default thx

Thanks David!

Sent you a Private Message

Cj

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    Use Race Studio 2 to configure the GPS, under the System Tab, select "Use GPS Lap Timer". Use the stand-alone GPS Manager to load tracks into the logger / GPS -- DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE BUTTONS to set track coordinates.

See this manual since it covers your exact type of system:

https://www.aim-sportline.com/downlo...05_102_eng.pdf

Default Gps

Should be noted I have this version of the GPS:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...xoC9OAQAvD_BwE

Not this one.
    https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...BoC-ckQAvD_BwE

So that may be my issue?

Liked: 845

cj,
    Unless I'm mistaking your comments, you have only bought a GPS *ANTENNA*.. NOT the actual module. You can't get any data from the antenna alone. The other unit you mention (the expensive one) is the actual module AND the antenna, although the antenna cable is a much shorter length than the one you have.

You'll need to pony up some more $$$ to get the full GPS module to interface with your data system.

Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Default Yup

Its more clear now. Didn't realize the antenna alone would not be enough. So if I only have the $43.xx antenna it wont work? The one that plugs right into the MXL?

Or do I need this one? https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...Product=MC-257

Thx
    Cj

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    cj,
    Unless I'm mistaking your comments, you have only bought a GPS *ANTENNA*.. NOT the actual module. You can't get any data from the antenna alone. The other unit you mention (the expensive one) is the actual module AND the antenna, although the antenna cable is a much shorter length than the one you have.

You'll need to pony up some more $$$ to get the full GPS module to interface with your data system.

Steve

Liked: 160

Quote Originally Posted by cjahn View Post
    Its more clear now. Didn't realize the antenna alone would not be enough. So if I only have the $43.xx antenna it wont work? The one that plugs right into the MXL?

Or do I need this one? https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...Product=MC-257

Thx
    Cj
    Correct you need the GPS module. Like the link. Once you have everything setup, it is easiest to load the track from the Aim GPS manager, if it lists the track that you are running. No worries about setting the start/finish when you do it that way.

Liked: 286

You have the correct antenna to work with a EVO4, which according to our notes (and email thread) is what you have.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Liked: 845

Agreed. I just looked it up and aimsports says the EVO4 DOES have an integral GPS receiver and only needs the antenna that you have. So.. NOW, all you have to do is figure out what it takes to make it work. Veracity is your source for help with that.
    Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 160

Quote Originally Posted by David Clubine View Post
    Correct you need the GPS module. Like the link. Once you have everything setup, it is easiest to load the track from the Aim GPS manager, if it lists the track that you are running. No worries about setting the start/finish when you do it that way.

I thought it was an MXL. Sorry for the confusion if it is a Evo4, as they say you just need the antenna.

Default Gps

Quote Originally Posted by David Clubine View Post
    I thought it was an MXL. Sorry for the confusion if it is a Evo4, as they say you just need the antenna.
    Still not sure what I am missing with the current setup. No lap times which is frustrating as it makes data acquisition useless.

I have the track added to the GPS through the GPS app. And programmed in the MXL. Shows it is communicating.

Do you have to do anything when you arrive at the track or does it just know based upon coordinates?

Thx!
    Cj

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

The second paragraph in your original post says that you have to enter the track and set the physical point in the dash.

The external unit I bought for my Stack (10 years ago) came with an additional button that I have to press at the point on the track that I want my laps to be timed at. I usually try to set this the first time I'm on track on the first pass of S/F. Once set, it's good all weekend.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 307

A side problem in having GPS connected to my MXL

When I download data from the AiM MXL it appears that the date and time are not incrementing. I had the issues at Savannah, when I got back home and getting ready for Topeka, I uploaded the current date and time from my laptop to the MXL.

When I downloaded the data from my Saturday run at Topeka - the date listed was the date I had downloaded from my laptop a week before. When I downloaded the Sunday data, the date had incremented to Saturday's date. The times for all sessions were wrong. Note the lap timing and track mapping were OK.

I use Garmin GPS for my highway trips - it appears that 'current date and time' get downloaded by the GPS signal to my Garmin unit to and including changing the screen intensity at Sundown - no matter where I am.

Does the AiM GPS module get its date and time from the GPS Satellites? Or does it get the data from what has been downloaded from the laptop during set up?

Thread Information