Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Default Best Integrated VideoCamera/DataAquistion system???

Probably already a thread somewhere on ApexSpeed, but technology and available systems changes so so fast, what are current opinions or /recommendations on the best integrated systems.

My old 1080 Replay (camera) and ancient really RacePak data acquisitions system have both finally packed in in. I covet an integrated system that can easily capture the basic data (e.g. track map, rpm, mph, Gs). And then easily overlay some of that data on the video (without complicated merging software. Been there, done that. Not fun.)

Being used on a formula car. Any suggestions on what's out there these days that is reasonably priced (Wishful thinking?)..

Thanks,

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

If you've been following the AIM seminars since the lockdown, the new software they are releasing (beta available now) syncs everything between their data systems and their cameras.

SmartyCam GP HD works great on OW cars. The video is excellent.

Any of the newer data units will work.
    https://veracitydata.com/products/aim-products/

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 553

One great feature of the Aim system with Smartycam is the camera starts itself.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 44

If one is willing to forego engine data (RPMs) the Race Technology GoPro software is pretty darn good for $59. It works with GoPro 5 and up. Easy to use. It even calculates horsepower.

One can try it for free.

http://race-technology.com/us/gopro

An example of a video overlay here. An autocross at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gfQ...ew?usp=sharing

Contributing Member
    Liked: 102

I think an AiM dash with a SCHD GP is the way to go. It gives you great data and video. Adding in the analysis with linked video in RS3 Beta and it's even more power than before. Easy setup, analysis, and a huge user base make help, support, and data sharing easy.

Their webinars have been fantastic. I've really enjoyed watching and co-hosting.

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 530

AIM is a great choice for auto-sync. But you are also paying for more than you might need. I have just used Dashware to sync my video and my data. Only takes a few minutes to find the sync mark and set it, but you can sync to multiple video files, use any camera and data system you want, create extremely custom dash and data overlays, and it is FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    AIM is a great choice for auto-sync. But you are also paying for more than you might need. I have just used Dashware to sync my video and my data. Only takes a few minutes to find the sync mark and set it, but you can sync to multiple video files, use any camera and data system you want, create extremely custom dash and data overlays, and it is FREE!
    I've used GoPros and I really like them. BUT, for OW racing I need something that records automatically. For one video is becoming a requirement - and 2 - my crew (wife) forgets to power it on sometimes and I can't reach it and I can't criticize..!.

I've recently had the opportunity to drive a car with a GPHD camera. It's like night and day.
    The quality is better, it's one less thing to think about, and it just works without fuss.

That alone is worth the $1200 or so it costs - or in racer terms - 1 set of tires.

How many times has the camera not worked? That's information you could have had.

I’m running an old replay hd mini and it can be direct powered and triggered to start whenever wanted.

pretty sure you can do the same with GoPro

I’m running an old replay hd mini and it can be direct powered and triggered to start whenever wanted.

pretty sure you can do the same with GoPro
    Great feature.

I haven't found a way with my Sessions - which is surprising because the founder/ceo of GoPro raced OW for a while.

Maybe on the newer models. But that's $4-$500 that could be going toward a better solution.

My GoPro will become rearward facing - which I heard will be the next requirement after forward facing.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4360

If you want to save some money, enjoy activities such as syncing and triggering, and like getting video only 50% of the time, then don't buy an Aim Smarty-Cam
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    If you want to save some money, enjoy activities such as syncing and triggering, and like getting video only 50% of the time, then don't buy an Aim Smarty-Cam
    I'm batting 1.000 on getting my videos so not sure what all this 50% talk is..

Most racers like to save money where they can..

I don't debate that AIM is a great solution if you can afford it. I will probably end up with it one day myself, but will still probably use Dashware anyway to create custom dash overlays. You can even literally create a custom dash from an image of your actual dash in car.

I'm batting 1.000 on getting my videos so not sure what all this 50% talk is..

Most racers like to save money where they can..

I don't debate that AIM is a great solution if you can afford it. I will probably end up with it one day myself, but will still probably use Dashware anyway to create custom dash overlays. You can even literally create a custom dash from an image of your actual dash in car.
    Has to do with the auto record issue. Like I said I get video about half the time.
    With the Aim product you can be reviewing footage with data as quickly as you can pull the card.

I get saving money.
    I've worked so hard at saving money the last couple years I drove my cost per lap over $1k and drove down my total laps.
    Changing tactics now.

17. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 955

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    Has to do with the auto record issue. Like I said I get video about half the time.
    With the Aim product you can be reviewing footage with data as quickly as you can pull the card.

I get saving money.
    I've worked so hard at saving money the last couple years I drove my cost per lap over $1k and drove down my total laps.
    Changing tactics now.
    I tried extending my homebuilt engine overhauls to save $$. False economy.... I feel your pain.

I had a Contour HD camera and used Race Render software to merge my AIM data with video. Worked great, but was time consuming to do at the track.

My AIM MXL Pista got the data I wanted so when the Contour finally died last year and the 50th of FF at the Monterey Reunion and at RA I pulled the trigger on a Aim SmartyCam GP from Ellen at Veracity. Thankfully the camera version I bought is backward compatible with the Pista. Only hitch was the camera config had to work with RS3 and the Pista only runs on RS2. A very minor inconvenience but it works perfectly. Every. Time.

So now, I can immediately download the perfectly merged video and data so I can cringe at the speed I'm leaving on the table between sessions... So now investing in video coaching...
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

19. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information