Contributing Member
    Liked: 102

Default AiM RS3 Analysis Beta Released Tomorrow

AiM is releasing a public beta of RS3 Analysis tomorrow. I've had and used the development copy of this for over a year. The beta will not be fully functional with math channels, segment times, etc, but the video integration and strip charts are there. You are able to compare different laps with video to one another and it's all synched automatically. For anyone with a SCHD and a new generation logger, this will add a huge functionality for you!

Signup is for tomorrow's webinar is at https://aimsports.zoom.us/webinar/re...ll_8P2S-_RkMCA and they will release the public link in that webinar along with some use details.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 530

cool! wish I had time to join the webinar..

question - does the video overlay work with any video source or only from AIM camera systems? Can I take GoPro video and manually sync it (like I do with dashware)?

will it output a video with data overlay?

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    cool! wish I had time to join the webinar..

question - does the video overlay work with any video source or only from AIM camera systems? Can I take GoPro video and manually sync it (like I do with dashware)?

will it output a video with data overlay?
    All the webinars are available on the YT channel https://www.youtube.com/user/aimdata

This will only work with new loggers (no MXL Pista, Evo4, Mychron 3, etc) and the SCHD. It will not work with video from another camera.

Data overlay on video will only be from the SCHD, but in RS3 it plays back with the info on the data.

Liked: 106

Quote Originally Posted by romoman View Post
    For anyone with a SCHD and a new generation logger, this will add a huge functionality for you!
    Can you provide details on what is SCHD and newer? Looking at aim-sportline.com doesn't seem to clear it up for me.

Thanks!
    Gary Tholl
    #24 BlurredVisionRacing

Contributing Member

Certainly. The logger has to be a Solo 2 DL, MXm, Evo4s, Evo5, MXL2, MXS, MXP, or MXG. The camera has to be a Smartycam HD or Smartycam HD GP.

If someone was running a Mychron 5 for a dash, that would work as well.

I've got an MXL2 and was going to run the Smartycam HD GP but I couldn't find a place to mount the DVR / control unit and ended up returning it

It was way bulkier than I thought it was going to be..

Contributing Member

I've got an MXL2 and was going to run the Smartycam HD GP but I couldn't find a place to mount the DVR / control unit and ended up returning it

It was way bulkier than I thought it was going to be..
    The SCHD GP 2.1 is a little smaller than the current 2.2. I have not heard someone not being able to mount the recorder before. It can be put almost anywhere and different length cables are available to go to the bullet cam. It's even used in Indycar and Dallara's packing is super tight.

Liked: 111

This is big news. The camera sync was by far the most useful feature in the RaceKeeper system. It worked so well for that.

I'm set for the FE, but I guess I need to convert the SRF now.

The SCHD GP 2.1 is a little smaller than the current 2.2. I have not heard someone not being able to mount the recorder before. It can be put almost anywhere and different length cables are available to go to the bullet cam. It's even used in Indycar and Dallara's packing is super tight.
    Ever sit in a Lola T9150? I cut a wood block the size of the control/DVR unit and couldn't find one reasonable spot to mount it really.. Maybe can make up one weird position, possibly, 50% chance, behind the steering wheel angled almost to sideways facing, left of the dash, but it might interfere with my hands.

All other spots interfere with arms or hands. Other than that, I could bury it in a side pod but I'm not sure why I'd pay for such an expensive unit if I can't make use of the control and screen..

Trust me, I really wanted to make it work!

Ever sit in a Lola T9150? I cut a wood block the size of the control/DVR unit and couldn't find one reasonable spot to mount it really.. Maybe can make up one weird position, possibly, 50% chance, behind the steering wheel angled almost to sideways facing, left of the dash, but it might interfere with my hands.

All other spots interfere with arms or hands. Other than that, I could bury it in a side pod but I'm not sure why I'd pay for such an expensive unit if I can't make use of the control and screen..

Trust me, I really wanted to make it work!

In my Van Diemen, I just cut a slot in my (very thin since I am big) foam seat. I just made a little slot it dropped down into. I did it an angle that was hard to get out with me in the car so it couldn't fall out in a crash. Worked for years that way quite well. Just slid it out if I needed to take the seat out

Liked: 53

Default On the floor

Mine is on the floor of my FE2, just ahead of the front hoop. Currently high strength dual lock, but it has come partially loose a couple times (from going off course or over severe rumble strips), so I may switch to VHB tape, or build a small 3D printed cradle. A little cumbersome to reach in and open the door for retrieving the card or plugging in the cable, but no worse than checking fluids, adding fuel with the new FE2 intake, etc.20200709_132709.jpg

My radio is on the floor in more or less the same spot, on the RH side.
    Last edited by LarryWinkelman; 07.09.20 at 3:59 PM.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

I've got a battery on the floor, but might be enough dead space if I re-shape the cover and maybe I could hinge a door on it so it is tucked away except when I want to access..

Question - once it is setup, will it just automatically record weekend to weekend so only thing you need to access is to get the card out? Don't they make wifi SD cards also so maybe could just have wireless access to it? Or make a bulkhead connector on the dash so it would be easier to never have to really "untuck" the unit from its hiding spot?

Off to the garage to measure some more and read the AIM manual..

Contributing Member

I've got a battery on the floor, but might be enough dead space if I re-shape the cover and maybe I could hinge a door on it so it is tucked away except when I want to access..

Question - once it is setup, will it just automatically record weekend to weekend so only thing you need to access is to get the card out? Don't they make wifi SD cards also so maybe could just have wireless access to it? Or make a bulkhead connector on the dash so it would be easier to never have to really "untuck" the unit from its hiding spot?

Off to the garage to measure some more and read the AIM manual..
    The operation is all automatic once it's set up, but you need to get to it to take the SD card out.

The operation is all automatic once it's set up, but you need to get to it to take the SD card out.

awesome - then that means I can put it in the side pod as well.

Liked: 67

Certainly. The logger has to be a Solo 2 DL, MXm, Evo4s, Evo5, MXL2, MXS, MXP, or MXG.

The camera has to be a Smartycam HD or Smartycam HD GP.
    Not quite correct.

Turns out AiM actually helped everyone out. If you have a SmartyCam HD v2.1 or GP v2.2, you can get BASIC information off JUST the video.

So no absolute need for the latest generation of loggers for cursory analysis and side by side video. If you want to go deeper, yes.

Good stuff.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Can someone tell me difference between Smartycam HD GP 2.1 and 2.2? I can't seem to find solid info and how to tell which version is which.

Liked: 67

Quote Originally Posted by iamuwere View Post
    Can someone tell me difference between Smartycam HD GP 2.1 and 2.2? I can't seem to find solid info and how to tell which version is which.
    Sure. The V2.1 all-in-one SmartyCam has been in production with some lens and CMOS upgrades since 2014. It’s about the size of a cigarette pack and most folks use this for GT or Sedans inside the car.

There was a V2.1 GP version, which was merely the all in one separated out into a recorder box with a preview screen and a longer bullet camera. This is better for formula and sports racing cars.

The V2.1 GP has been replaced by the V2.2 GP, which offers a few good features. First, it’s MUCH less susceptible to electromagnetic and radio frequency interference, and second, it’s got its own “bridge” or translator inside in case you didn’t have an AIM logger to hook it up to or you just wanted to connect it to an ECU to get RPM, throttle position and some other sensor info.

v2.1 SmartyCam HD (all in one) and V2.2 SmartyCam HD GP (bullet camera with separate box). The GP is $100 more.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tigaman View Post
    Not quite correct.

Turns out AiM actually helped everyone out. If you have a SmartyCam HD v2.1 or GP v2.2, you can get BASIC information off JUST the video.

So no absolute need for the latest generation of loggers for cursory analysis and side by side video. If you want to go deeper, yes.

Good stuff.
    When I posted all of this, it was prior to their public announcement that RS3A would work with just the SCHD video. I've known that for over a year, but it wasn't my place to announce it before them

And if we want to be correct, the video only analysis will sync and give you basic measures like TPS, brake pressure, RPM, Steering, Gear (and other items from the SC stream), GPS Time, and the GPS measures but at a reduced logging rate. Not great for analysis, but it will certainly help people and a great feature for folks that incorporate a SCHD with another data system.

Thread Information