Liked: 804

Default tire racks in trailers; surprise find

Stumbled across this unit on the Home Depot website of all places.
    It's literally 1/5th the price of a similar Pit Pal or Pit Products unit.
    Haven't seen one in the flesh to judge its sturdiness.
    Has anyone bought/used one in the dynamic environment of a moving trailer?
    Consequences of it breaking are potentially expensive...
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

2. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 138

I've used that exact one. 3 of them. Loaded with heavy sedan tires.

zero problems.

What I did though is through bolt it on the trailer... just in case.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Hyloft gets good reviews from sedan racers.

Also on The Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/HyLoft-01031-...dp/B0058BMNVU/

I bought a pit pal recently and it works but is disappointing.
    Some holes didn't line up and the hardware was the stuff you get from Harbor Freight where you're searching for wrench sizes between metric and standard.

Liked: 101

Have any of you had any issues with wall flex (or other distortion) from placing a load like this high on your trailer walls? Or do you add extra bracing of some type when you install this?

Intuitively, it seems like everything would be fine, since the walls already withstand high wind loads, snow loads, shocks from sharp bumps, etc., but I have a nagging worry about wall strength regardless.

Jeff

Liked: 804

Quote Originally Posted by Teuobk View Post
    Have any of you had any issues with wall flex (or other distortion) from placing a load like this high on your trailer walls? Or do you add extra bracing of some type when you install this?

Intuitively, it seems like everything would be fine, since the walls already withstand high wind loads, snow loads, shocks from sharp bumps, etc., but I have a nagging worry about wall strength regardless.

Jeff
    I guess that could be an issue, highly dependent on several factors.
    Our rims are 13" light alloy, so lighter than average even w/tires?
    My trailer wall frame is square box tubing, not U-channels.
    Outer skin is 040, (some others are only 032 or 025), and is bonded and riveted to the frame.
    Also have plywood inner walls screwed to the frame as well, so almost a monocoque result.
    Ultimately, no real way to predict, but I'm comfortable with the idea in my situation, so long as the rack itself is up to it.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Liked: 1

I have used these, bought off amazon, on the last two trailers I have outfitted. They are strong and if mounted well do the job superbly.

On the first trailer I through bolted them through the wall studs (that trailer was a well used throw away trailer when I bought it). On the second trailer I self tapped them into the wall studs and did not have any problems. On both I put an aluminum angle running along the bottom to distribute the load and work as a strapping point to hold the tires down. The angle was probably not necessary. The rack itself expands or contracts to line up with whatever wall stud spacing you might have.

I also use these on the wall of my shop to store my tires off the ground and out of the trailer between races.

They are not as bling bling as others but they fit the budget.

My only beef is when wall mounted over the car they are the first and last items to be loaded and unloaded respectively. I hate leaving tires in the trailer for any length of time. Here in South Florida that will heat cycle them quick. After a long weekend I don't have the option of just removing tires before going to bed. I have to fully unload the trailer. Makes for a long Sunday. On the trailer I am setting up now I will be trying the e track on the walls approach.

M

Liked: 301

Haven't tried one in a trailer, but have one in the garage.
    Set-up to full 4' width & lag-screwed to studs.
    4 full-sized street tires on rims and no flexing of the unit (or the wall, thankfully).
    I've HEARD they work nicely in trailers but I don't know anyone personally who has done it.
    Definitely nice for that price.

Glenn

Thread Information