Liked: 66

For Sale Caldwell D10 FSV

For Sale, Caldwell D10 FSV
    I purchased this car some years ago as a restoration project and never got to it. Using the SCCA log book number, 10-316, stamped on the roll bar I contacted Detroit Region for any info. I was able to track down the original owner, Ron Verduin who bought the car new from Ray Caldwell. He verified it was his car, the paintwork was still the same, the car has no other documentation and Ron provided no further help.

I believe that this could be long lost Chassis #1. The bodywork has the rounded nose just like the picture in Andrew Schupak's SV book showing Ray Caldwell at the New York Auto show with D10 #1. The show car also has a round nose. The nose on this car has the Autodynamics crest and the winshield the Autodynamics sticker. The following Super Vees used the D9 bodywork.

When assembled the engine bay looked off and the rear uprights were not from the D9 although all of the a-arms, radius rods, sway bar and links, shocks, half shafts and rear brake drum assemblies all look original. It has an incorrect steering rack and a few other quirks. Whoever bought the car from Ron decided to modify the engine bay. It still accommodates a VW Type I engine and a standard VW transaxle as required by the rules. The rear of the tail which surrounds the oil cooler has been cutoff and can be repaired. With some work the chassis could be returned to the original configuration. There is no engine, brake/clutch lines, plumbing or fuel cell. This piece of SV history needs to find a good home.

Asking $3,000.00

$3500.00, with a fresh VW gearbox and a proper set of 13x6 Minilites.

Frank G. Muegge
    St. Louis, MO

Last edited by 2fast2stop; 05.09.19 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Posted price......

Liked: 190

Default Ad must have an asking price

Looks like a great project and would be a real find for the FSV collector.

ApexSpeed classified ad rules are all ads must have a price.
    Please edit your post to reflect an asking price, or the ad will be removed.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

Look at the U joints on the end of the steering rack

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default cannot believe

this is not sold yet!

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    this is not sold yet!
    I agree. I've already tried to talk my friend into it but he "only works on one Project at a time". What a wimp. I have 5 race car projects but fortunately, my 15 year old has decided to work on one of the 3 street car projects! I hope to be down to 4 Projects by the end of the month.

StL is a day turn-around drive for me too.....
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

I've already tried to talk my friend into it but he "only works on one Project at a time". What a wimp. I have 5 race car projects but fortunately,....[/QUOTE]

But my one project at a time get done, your 5 don't
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Graham

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 6

PM sent

Asking $3000.00 with fresh VW box. This car needs to find a good home and be restored. As far as I know only 12 D10s were built but that may be disputed...........

FGM
    Last edited by 2fast2stop; 05.09.19 at 11:02 PM.

With next year being the 50th Anniversary of FSV, this would be a great car to show up with! The current engine rules for FSV allow up to 2.0L engine size so it would be very FB-like in performance at a fraction of the cost!

I've been told I have too many projects and I need to finish two and sell at least one before I can do anything else....
    Garey Guzman
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Bottom price, marked down to $2,500.00, this car needs to find a good home. I have too many other irons in the fire to do a complete restoration...........

I have tried for months to contact ANYONE from Detroit Region to obtain the contact information for the Chief Scrutineer of the region to look in the archives and get information on this car, NOTHING. Obviously Detroit Region is either a bunch of pompous snobs or they only cater to their members. In my nearly 40 years as an SCCA member I have never had issues with other regions. No wonder SCCA is going down the tubes...........

I'll bet no one has an original D10 windscreen with this sticker.......
    Last edited by 2fast2stop; 05.27.19 at 10:41 PM.

Well, I guess this one goes to that racecar graveyard in the sky..................
    Last edited by 2fast2stop; 08.30.19 at 12:35 PM.

Liked: 1124

Tragic.

If I had either the money or the room, I would have driven up there last month to get it! It's sad that a piece of history can't be saved.
    Garey Guzman

Liked: 44

Default Keep trying...

I would love this car project, but that would mean I am single since I just completed my SV project.... don't give up, this is a very cool/special car .....

John Weakley

I really thought this could be chassis #1, the car that started the FSV series in the US. I did contact Ron Verduin who verified it was his car and that he bought it from Ray. I have tried for over a year to contact by phone or email ANYONE from Detroit Region albeit with no response. I was hoping to find the one person who had the racecar registration records for the region. Apparently Detriot region must be an arrogant bunch of snobs that won't speak to other "lesser" SCCA members across the country. I have been a member for nearly 40 years and the glue that kept the club together was the camaraderie, to help a fellow racer no matter what. Well boys and girls that is long gone and that's why SCCA is on it's death bed.
    Last edited by 2fast2stop; 08.30.19 at 4:58 PM.

Your frustration is hard to read, Frank, but consistent with why I hesitate realizing my lifetime dream of racing with the SCCA. The more I read around here, the more I'm tempted to do something else, perhaps vintage.

I wonder if a few of us should chip in and hire you to build this as a non-runner to display for next year's 50th. Or better yet, as a runner that actually races. A friend in Mansfield could build it up, but not if there's a ton of custom casting or fab work to do. Would there be?

He has space for the car, too.

Any takers???

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    Your frustration is hard to read, Frank, but consistent with why I hesitate realizing my lifetime dream of racing with the SCCA. The more I read around here, the more I'm tempted to do something else, perhaps vintage.

I wonder if a few of us should chip in and hire you to build this as a non-runner to display for next year's 50th. Or better yet, as a runner that actually races. A friend in Mansfield could build it up, but not if there's a ton of custom casting or fab work to do. Would there be?

He has space for the car, too.

Any takers???
    Hello Eric,

I have been a SCCA member for almost 40 years but no longer actively participate as have most of my friends. Our focus now is with vintage racing and restoration.

I could easily reassemble the Caldwell ()some fab work necessary as strictly a roller here in my shop and repair/paint the bodywork to look very presentable but I have had offers to buy the car only to back out at the last minute. Then there's the issues with those self righteous members of Detroit region. Perhaps I'll just keep her as a roller but right now my attention is on the restoration of my T328 FSV.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks Frank, really glad to hear you're reconsidering.

I caught up with Bob Lazier last week but forgot to ask about the T328. Sorry and I can ask if you like, he's got a great memory and may be able to ID your 328 -- or at least know if that nose and those pods are from the Bennett car as I suspect.

Happy Restoration(s). Let's talk about either car when you wish to.

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    Thanks Frank, really glad to hear you're reconsidering.

I caught up with Bob Lazier last week but forgot to ask about the T328. Sorry and I can ask if you like, he's got a great memory and may be able to ID your 328 -- or at least know if that nose and those pods are from the Bennett car as I suspect.

Happy Restoration(s). Let's talk about either car when you wish to.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated..........have a great Labor Day holiday weekend.

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Since no one has shown interest in the D10 I have decided to repair/repaint the body work and repaint the chassis over the winter. I'll assemble the car as a roller and bring it along with my Lolas if there are any Super Vee anniversary events next year. Hopefully someone will be able to identify the car. I may be throwing money to the wind but just can't throw a possibly significant car away.

24. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 11

Default Caldwell

Anyone know what chassis mods would be needed to done to make this FF.

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast2stop View Post
    Since no one has shown interest in the D10 I have decided to repair/repaint the body work and repaint the chassis over the winter. I'll assemble the car as a roller and bring it along with my Lolas if there are any Super Vee anniversary events next year. Hopefully someone will be able to identify the car. I may be throwing money to the wind but just can't throw a possibly significant car away.
    Really Happy to read this, Frank!

Liked: 0

I'm interested, if it's still for sale

Thread Information