Thread: Mazda 12A

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 872

Default Mazda 12A

Anyone know when the rotary motor was allowed into FA? The oldest hardcopy GCR I have is 2008 and it's listed there but I know there were 12A conversion done before that.

Any hardcopy pictures or links appreciated.

TIA
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 1156

Bob Young ran one in Colorado the one time I saw it in 2001.

Liked: 307

My oldest GCR is 2005, and the 12A is in the FCS in that year. I'm pretty sure that Jacek was running at Rotary FA at my second Runoffs in 2001.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 872

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    My oldest GCR is 2005, and the 12A is in the FCS in that year. I'm pretty sure that Jacek was running at Rotary FA at my second Runoffs in 2001.
    I see he had a Beasley-Mazda in CSR that year but no mention in SCCA records what his FA Ralt RT41 was using.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1592

There was a SportsCar article on one of the first conversions if you have some to dig through

Liked: 24

Garey I have the entire history of the 12A .... including the original letter from Mazda AUTHORIZING THIS DEVELOPMENT OF THE FA 12a...let’s talk on the phone....you have my Comcast email ...and as you know I have the only DB4 with a 13B FA with north of 290 HP....YUP that number is correct with dyno sheets to prove .....

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    Anyone knows when the rotary motor was allowed into FA? The oldest hardcopy GCR I have is 2008 and it's listed there but I know there was 12A conversion done before that.

Any hardcopy pictures or links appreciated.

TIA

8. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 29

Default 80’s Rotary FA.

SA ran 12a’s in their FA championship from the early 80’s.The regs list the Mazda part numbers for the peripheral port engine castings.The SCCA may recognise the 12a for your classic events? I would rather pay for Rotary rebuilds than a BDD any day.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MHBzS9Zw26c

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1592

Quote Originally Posted by DB4 Tim View Post
    Garey I have the entire history of the 12A .... including the original letter from Mazda AUTHORIZING THIS DEVELOPMENT OF THE FA 12a...let’s talk on the phone....you have my Comcast email ...and as you know I have the only DB4 with a 13B FA with north of 290 HP....YUP that number is correct with dyno sheets to prove .....
    Tim - glad to see you're still running! Havent seen you since what? 2012 or so?

Liked: 24

Rick....I have not run for a number of years, I am still dealing with some defining health issues....but we got things going early this year to come back and .....well COVID.....ug....so looking forward tp next year. I am really anxious for next year to get here.....as is most of the entire planet...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    Tim - glad to see you're still running! Havent seen you since what? 2012 or so?

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 281

Default 12a

We ran one in the early 2000s that was purchased from Formula Cars East (the late Byron Stauffer) built as a Mazda in about 2001 I think - eventually it was converted to a CSR Loyning body and John Zuccarelli ended up with it in Florida. I believe it was one of three early conversions that were done with Mazda help..
    phil

Thread Information