Liked: 375

Default FC June Sprints 2020

Since someone who shall remain nameless only wants to talk about sleeper street cars now and turn his back on the only class that ever loved him, somebody else has to step up to help promote the class with one of the best lineages in club racing and ridiculously affordable cars.

I’m volunteering myself. To help bring us back to a time when some guy with a bottle of Captain Morgan kept us glued to screens with his race updates like we were watching the OJ Bronco chase. So let’s start with a preview of:

The June Sprints. In many ways, a race that was once bigger and more important than the Runoffs. Sure, field size is down considerably from the peak - although definitely trending in the right direction more recently - but some things have not changed. Like the glorious Wisconsin countryside during those 3 whole months of their summer, or the brats at the track, or a fine adult beverage from Seibkins. There are few places better than Elkhart Lake in June.

Let's highlight this year's field, which is shaping up to be one of the strongest fields of FC cars in some time. (Full disclosure- this is purely to get the discussion going, I obviously know less about most of this stuff than my toddler does about using her inside voice whenever we’re in public. As the kids would say, don’t @ me.)

Rob Allaer- Has to be a favorite. Dude claims the car is faster than the driver in every interview he gives, but he’s too humble. I mean it’s true, but still man, take some credit. It doesn’t drive itself.

Brian Tomasi- 2X National Champion, and that was back when the fields were deeper than a FL beach during quarantine. Took some time off for a few years but the siren song of cheap cars and the “Best Class in Club Racing” (trademark pending) lured him back.

Brandon Dixon- Pro series champ and I’m pretty sure he also has a FB championship at this track. Only downside is that RA is known for its long straights and fast corners, and his engineer is NOT an aerodynamicist.

John Larue- The other Citation Cult member that has numerous national championships to his name. Always a contender, and will sell you some brakes.

Michael Varacins- This guy may have more Runoffs championships than the rest of the field combined. (Then again, maybe not. Someone else can fact check that for me.) He spent the Corona Break building up a brand new chassis all the way from bloody England so will be interesting to see how it runs.

We also have Armington and Marino coming in from the West Coast, 2019 Southern Series Champ Fauza in one of those Livingston VD’s, Fandozzi in the nicest Mygale this side of Magny-Cours, local boys Dickmann, Vollrath and Leseur, Johnson from KS, Norton from AZ, and Stern from SC.

Marc will probably be paddocked with Brad Baytos, so if you need any parts that’s where you go. Even if you don’t, go buy something anyway. Brad does a lot to support us so do him a solid and return the favor. Just go early, those boys like to make it a challenge to not wait until the last session of the day has finished before the beers get cracked. Partially kidding.

In all seriousness, this is a hell of a field. And it is only the beginning. Rumors are circulating about exciting things happening with this class again. This year is an unknown, but there is talk of a huge festival style event next year for the 35th anniversary.

If you have a car, get out in the garage and start prepping it. If you don’t, there isn’t a better bang for your buck right now than FC (hell, I felt that way when cars cost 50% more than they do now). You can’t go faster for cheaper, and there isn’t a sexier car on the grid. Like my wife says to me every race she has ever been to, “Thank God you don’t race a freakin Miata.”

Chicks dig wings.

2. The following 7 users liked this post:

Liked: 3787

"back when the fields were deeper than a FL beach during quarantine"

Chris; you've got the handle on the writing skills. Run with it. Likewise a nod from the Captain.

So, who is going the do the live pre-race and post-race interviews from Siebkens Tavern?

Back story. Livingston did his apprenticeship with none other than Rob St.Clair. He now advertises his business as "LTD" . It means "Living the Dream".

Bill Johnson for many years did an outstanding job as the chairman of the FSRAC. Great to see him entered. Another back story, his brother printed all the Formula Ford 40th posters.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 709

Quote Originally Posted by CScharnow View Post
    Brandon Dixon- Pro series champ and I’m pretty sure he also has a FB championship at this track. Only downside is that RA is known for its long straights and fast corners, and his engineer is NOT an aerodynamicist.
    Unfortunately, this has become an obscure reference. I hope Wren comes along soon to make it trend again.

As a side request, if anybody has some extra crew slots available, my sons and I want to be there for the FC spectacle.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Back story. Livingston did his apprenticeship with none other than Rob St.Clair. He now advertises his business as "LTD" . It means "Living the Dream".
    He likes to claim it means "Listen To Dave", but if you hear Rob or Cole talk to him shouldn't it be LTJ?

Liked: 1432

Are Bill and Cliff Johnson brothers?

Liked: 353

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    Are Bill and Cliff Johnson brothers?
    Yes.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    Unfortunately, this has become an obscure reference. I hope Wren comes along soon to make it trend again.

As a side request, if anybody has some extra crew slots available, my sons and I want to be there for the FC spectacle.
    Aerodynamics isn’t a real thing. I will not be accepting counter arguments at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 994

Did they finally let you out of Apex jail Wren?

Quote Originally Posted by John LaRue View Post
    Did they finally let you out of Apex jail Wren?
    I’ve just been busy with work, which is probably keeping Doug’s blood pressure down.

Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend. We are in west paddock spot 46 just north of the garages.

Liked: 994

Hopefully we can get some updates. T&S had Dixon, Miller and Marino within a tenth this morning in practice. Dixon put a bit of a gap between himself and the field in the first round of qualifying. Armington was slotted second, Marino did not appear to have turned any laps.

I think the Marino results are a transponder mistake. The #14 car was a P2 car driven by someone else. I think they fixed it by the qualifying session.
    I think the story of the June Sprints is going to be who negotiates traffic better and who chooses which tire.

Day 1 thoughts and ramblings (from 1,000 miles away):

-Looked like picture perfect conditions this afternoon for qualifying, high 50s and sunny. That’s Go Fast weather. But this is also June. Curious to see what kind of temps October will bring.

-Traffic is going to be a huge factor. Watching the live stream today there was a constant stream of cars the entire session. On a 4 mile track. I’m sure that was not frustrating at all while trying to get a clear lap during the first qualy...

-A pecking order is emerging. Dixon turned it up in the second half of qualifying to claim provisional pole, taking it from Armington who had held it the majority of the session. Fauza was bringing the heat in his LTD Motorsports VD in 3rd. And Tomasi and Miller are close behind.

-We had a couple favorites drop out at the last minute, but the pointy end of the field is still really strong. The podium battle is going to be a hell of a race.

-Still waiting on reports from some boots on the ground so should have more info shortly.

-I really wish I was sitting at Siebkins right now getting Livingston drunk enough to tell me some secrets.

Qualifying 2 and Race 1 tomorrow. Stay tuned.

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1880

So what happened to Dixon that he didn't run the race today?

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    So what happened to Dixon that he didn't run the race today?
    He ran the first five corners. Then he was run over by someone from three car lengths back.

Liked: 1432

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    He ran the first five corners. Then he was run over by someone from three car lengths back.

Sounds like that dude is practicing for the Runoffs.

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information