Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Liked: 118

I'm going with this option if it gets too bad.

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 238

Default Scam Call

Might as well add this story to the thread.

Yesterday a telephone call comes in. Caller ID indicates it's from a phone in my village with a common name like Bill Smith. Someone I don't know. I hesitate but decide to pick it up. I say hello.

The person on the other end of the line has a very thick Indian accent. Much thicker than the folks Apple and others hire. So it doesn't take a genius to realize he's spoofed the number.

His first sentence is about the health crisis.

Yeah, right, a neighbor with a classic American name is calling me from a local number, has a thick accent, the sound of other operators in the background, and is talking about the coronavirus.

I interrupt him and ask in a loud, annoyed voice, "IS THIS ANOTHER SCAM".

There's a pause of 2 seconds and then he meekly says, "No,o,o". I hang up.

What an awfully designed scam.

But I realize now that I should have let him continue so I could hear the scam but I was just too pissed. Be careful people. Not only do we have to keep our social distance, now we have to beware of awful people pulling scams on the phone, using the current health crisis and fear to rip us off.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 910

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post

Yesterday a telephone call comes in. Caller ID indicates it's from a phone in my village with a common name like Bill Smith. Someone I don't know. I hesitate but decide to pick it up. I say hello.

The person on the other end of the line has a very thick Indian accent. Much thicker than the folks Apple and others hire. So it doesn't take a genius to realize he's spoofed the number.

Yeah, right, a neighbor with a classic American name is calling me from a local number, has a thick accent, the sound of other operators in the background, and is talking about the coronavirus.

But I realize now that I should have let him continue so I could hear the scam but I was just too pissed. Be careful people. Not only do we have to keep our social distance, now we have to beware of awful people pulling scams on the phone, using the current health crisis and fear to rip us off.

There is some considerable logic in having these spam emails and phone calls be obviously (to us, anyway) clumsy.

Even though it costs virtually nothing to dial a million numbers, the sell-through rate, if you will, is so low that they have an enormous incentive to filter out no-sales so that they can focus on the stupid/gullible, where they do have a chance of a sale. So it costs them nothing if the attempt is transparently clumsy; in fact, it helps. If you want to screw up their business model and have a couple of minutes to burn, stay on the line and engage the caller. That time is coming out of the scammer's bottom line.

Pro tip: When you are at the pharmacy or Best Buy, buying the gift cards that they tell to buy, be sure to maintain the 2-meter social distance from the sucker - I mean customer - in front of you.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default Covid-19

Attempt at humor alert...

Covid-19 is a biological weapon released by the youngest members of SCCA to take out the Boomers.

New rules to be implemented. A class for each individual racer to guarantee a First place trophy for all participants.

No trophies will be available trackside due to the vast number needed. Gift cards for the local trophy shop will be given upon registration.

Smile ! It's good for you !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 295

Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    Attempt at humor alert...

Covid-19 is a biological weapon released by the youngest members of SCCA to take out the Boomers.

New rules to be implemented. A class for each individual racer to guarantee a First place trophy for all participants.

No trophies will be available trackside due to the vast number needed. Gift cards for the local trophy shop will be given upon registration.

Smile ! It's good for you !
    Thanks for the levity!

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 322

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    No debate, the obvious choice is...............

50% say Holden...but only in Australia

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1124

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post

I've recently created a new means to add to my stress-reduction warehouse.

If I miss such calls, I call back.

In best cases, they answer:
    "Hello"

"Hello"

"Hello"

"Hello"

"I can't hear you, but if you can hear me, please call back. I think we have a bad connection."

A minute later, lather, rinse, repeat.

I only waste (their) time doing this if I'm batching photos, backing up files, waxing the van, waxing the dog, trimming my nose, fitting a new onesie, or otherwise not costing my time more than a run down a drag strip.

PS -- I don't have a onesie
    Last edited by E1pix; 03.18.20 at 12:53 PM.

Liked: 65

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    If I miss such calls, I call back.

In best cases, they answer:
    The problem with this is they are spoofing phone numbers of actual people as they robodial. I've actually shown up as calling myself a couple of times about my vehicle extended warranty...

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1124

Did your call cover that blown engine?

Yes on local numbers. I had a hundred numbers blocked before realizing one was mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    https://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

Wrong. A small number have tested positive largely because so few have been tested. Those are very different statements. Somebody with more patience than I will have to pick up the ball if they wish to explain it to you. I have to conserve my energy to combat this virus.
    Judging from your first sentence it seems pretty clear that we agree. I'll be content to leave it at that.

Liked: 536

My wife scolded me for musing that maybe in a few months I can pick up some deals at estate sales. Then it struck me that I just got my 30-year SCCA pin and I'm a couple of year over the "danger age" for COVID. Oh crap, it could be MY estate sale!

And then something else struck me.

My wife.

19. The following 5 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bardahl77 View Post
    My wife scolded me for musing that maybe in a few months I can pick up some deals at estate sales. Then it struck me that I just got my 30-year SCCA pin and I'm a couple of year over the "danger age" for COVID. Oh crap, it could be MY estate sale!

And then something else struck me.

My wife.
    hah hah! Me too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information