Liked: 268

Default Honda/ Alonso Indy

I see where Honda has nixed Alonso with Andretti for Indy. I guess the egos in Japan can't handle it and can't admit they made junk motors when they were at McLaren. My guess is that they would like to erase the actual figures as it is too much for them. To the guys in Japan, put on pants and grow some!

Liked: 1124

I'm not sure that a nation which grew from rubble to technical excellence in just 25 years doesn't already have a ton of balls.

It also seems if we're judging cultures by corporate decisions, we ourselves might be better served with a mirror.

Default Alonso

I'm not talking about Japan as a whole, It happens HQ is in Japan by coincidence. I'm talking about the execs who made the call , regardless what flavor they happen to be.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Ah Okay, Thanks for clarifying.

Did the decision have anything to do with Alonso, or did someone else bring money?

Sucks if so, that.

Default Alonso

Hard to know all the details but if its corporate then it would be sweet poetic justice if Alonso won with the Chevy. He might then give them the "number 1" salute!

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 804

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Kehoe View Post
    I see where Honda has nixed Alonso with Andretti for Indy. I guess the egos in Japan can't handle it and can't admit they made junk motors when they were at McLaren. My guess is that they would like to erase the actual figures as it is too much for them. To the guys in Japan, put on pants and grow some!
    Pretty sure the post-Honda McLaren year showed it wasn't all on Honda.
    I personally respect their decision to reject Alonso; he very publicly bit the hand that fed him, so they withdraw the bread. Fair to me.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

9. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 482

What is the structure/decision process of F1 vs Indy for Honda. I have no idea. They do seem to be committed for F1. Curious the contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    Pretty sure the post-Honda McLaren year showed it wasn't all on Honda.
    I personally respect their decision to reject Alonso; he very publicly bit the hand that fed him, so they withdraw the bread. Fair to me.
    I genuinely like Alonso and think he's one of the greatest in his era.

But his mouth does get in the way at times...

Anyone remember the publicity thing he was to do with Valentino Rossi, where they were to swap his F1 Ferrari for Rossi's MotoGP bike and run laps in each other's ride?

Interviewed separately, paraphrased:
    — Valentino Rossi: "I'd be thrilled if I was able to turn a lap anywhere near Fernando's."
    — Fernando Alonso: "I imagine I'll be as quick as Valentino within a few laps."

End of Experiment.

Hard to know all the details but if its corporate then it would be sweet poetic justice if Alonso won with the Chevy. He might then give them the "number 1" salute!
    I have no clue why this reminds me of a Helen Reddy song...

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Alonso drove a Toyota in this years' Dakar. Not sure which was the cause and which was the effect.

Default Alonso

Yup, and Penske has both Chevy, Ford and Honda factory efforts , so what’s the point?

Liked: 384

I'm gonna defend Honda since i have spoken on McLaren F1 issue with their race development people in know.
    Only reason McLaren was uncompetitive in F1 in Honda was McLarens .
    they didn't want to mess with their chassis balance and there was nothing Honda could do to increase horsepower without having extra space to do so.
    Also let not forget 100 mil per year Honda was contributing to Mclaren f1 program.
    As far as I'm concerned Honda makes best street inline 4 and v6 engines as well as race.
    They definitely have no ego or ball problem.

P.S.
    If their engine was a problem how come it does so well in other teams chassis?
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Banned

Yup, and Penske has both Chevy, Ford and Honda factory efforts , so what’s the point?
    The point is that Honda isn't a huge fan of Alonso and vice versa. Alonso racing a Toyota at Dakar didn't exactly help mend any fences with Honda. I wasn't a fan of Alonso when he raced F1, I gained a whole lot of respect for him during his rookie year at Indy . I like that he gave Dakar a whirl. As to Honda being okay with him in a Honda powered car at Indy. . . fat chance.

As to Penske, he has good relationships with just about every manufacturer out there. Look how many different dealerships are in his portfolio. He doesn't appear to burn too many bridges.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    As to Penske, he has good relationships with just about every manufacturer out there. Look how many different dealerships are in his portfolio. He doesn't appear to burn too many bridges.
    Exactly Daryl.

I suspect he's the only American team owner to work with three of the former Big Four, as I don't recall any Mopar affiliation. Good Gods, the man even got Rambler (in effect) to Victory Circle in Trans-Am and NASCAR, and a podium in F5000 if recalling.

Racing, and business, would sure benefit from more Rogers.

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Alonso

So why is McLaren so much better since switching from Honda? Must be pure luck!

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    Exactly Daryl.

I suspect he's the only American team owner to work with three of the former Big Four, as I don't recall any Mopar affiliation. Good Gods, the man even got Rambler (in effect) to Victory Circle in Trans-Am and NASCAR, and a podium in F5000 if recalling.

Roger is a straight shooter!
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

24. The following 2 users liked this post:

Banned

So why is McLaren so much better since switching from Honda? Must be pure luck!
    Yeah, that's it. The Honda is crap. Exactly why RedBull took that Honda and beat McLaren with it.

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 43

Default Roger & Mopar...

Roger did run Dodges in NASCAR around 2012 or so, then went back to Ford when he was unable to score a multi-year deal with Chrysler.

28. The following members LIKED this post:

That's right, four for four then!

Plus Porsche, Honda, etc., etc. -- and even Aston-Martian from our interplanetary homeboys.

Liked: 319

Default A useful datapoint

Anyone remember Robby Gordon kicking the ford emblem on his CART car when it blew up at Cleveland years ago? Finished that year and never got another full time Indy ride, if I recall correctly.

Alonso is a skillful, brilliant, tactical driver, but like Robby, he didn't just burn a bridge there, he nuked it!
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4362

Maybe Alonso will bring his lawn chair and watch the 500 from the infield.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

32. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1493

This gentlemen, is the problem with engine lease deals. Honda isn't providing an engine, Andretti is providing a car. That level of influence is bad for the sport, and people ought to admonish Honda for it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    This gentlemen, is the problem with engine lease deals. Honda isn't providing an engine, Andretti is providing a car. That level of influence is bad for the sport, and people ought to admonish Honda for it.

The days of team-owners obtaining sponsorships and then selecting whatever shoe they wanted are long gone. Sponsors/corporate partners have a huge/final say in who they want representing their product.

Why shouldn't a company have the final say on who represents their product on such a huge stage?

Default alonso

Daryl,
    You think Red Bull was using the same motors as McLaren was in the same time frame, fat chance. Of course they improved the product for Red Bull otherwise they would have been the same 10-15 MPH slower as McLaren was down the straights.

36. The following 2 users liked this post:

You meet the same people on the way down as you met on the way up.
    They tend to remember if you were an ass.

Honda (in Japan)

And so ironic that Alonso's only Indy option now is SPAM.
    Equally ironic is that the guy who has kept his mouth shut for 6 months (Hinch) may end up in the car that Alonso was supposed to race at Indy.
    Last edited by problemchild; 02.04.20 at 2:29 PM.

38. The following 3 users liked this post:

Banned

Daryl,
    You think Red Bull was using the same motors as McLaren was in the same time frame, fat chance. Of course they improved the product for Red Bull otherwise they would have been the same 10-15 MPH slower as McLaren was down the straights.
    Flawed logic.

Of course Honda improved the product. All F1 manufacturers are spending oodles of cash to improve the package every single day. Just as McLaren did with their chassis and aero package.

Even if we were to agree that the problem was the Honda, Alonso didn't handle it appropriately and it's biting him in the ass.

Liked: 307

Alonso drove a Toyota in this years' Dakar. Not sure which was the cause and which was the effect.
    Don't forget FA did the WEC season and Championship for Toyota as well as being part of the LeMans winning team.

You can bad mouth Honda based on their engine's performance - you can't star for the homeland competition.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1493

Why shouldn't a company have the final say on who represents their product on such a huge stage?
    Because they aren't paying s sponsorship. The Owner pays for the use of the engine. If Honda was providing it free, sure. But they're not. And don't try to tell me it's heavily subsidized. Honda could easily eat the cost of supporting their end of the series, but they don't.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    Because they aren't paying s sponsorship. The Owner pays for the use of the engine. If Honda was providing it free, sure. But they're not. And don't try to tell me it's heavily subsidized. Honda could easily eat the cost of supporting their end of the series, but they don't.
    Of course you realize it's heavily subsidized, that's why you knew I would go there. Whether or not Honda could/should/would eat the cost or not, is immaterial.

I think I saw this sign on the door at Honda headquarters.

If Andretti really needed/wanted Alonso more than he needed/wanted Honda he could put together another entry for Alonso powered by something other than Honda.
    Attached Images Attached Images

43. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    You meet the same people on the way down as you met on the way up.
    They tend to remember if you were an ass.

Honda (in Japan)

And so ironic that Alonso's only Indy option now is SPAM.
    Equally ironic is that the guy who has kept his mouth shut for 6 months (Hinch) may end up in the car that Alonso was supposed to race at Indy.
    https://racer.com/2020/02/19/andrett...500-and-texas/

Good lesson for young racers.

Marshal Pruett Podcast had interesting commentary that Freddie has never made any efforts to apologize or mend fences with Honda, despite his huge media platform.

45. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 2

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    Exactly Daryl.

2003 Penske

Thread Information