Contributing Member
    Liked: 75

Default '87 - '90 Reynard Spherical Bearing Housing wanted

I had one of these aluminum housings stress fail during qualifying at COTA last October. Fortunately, the car drove straight off the track into a runoff area with little drama and no collateral damage. I was lucky! Unfortunately, it still defined the end of my weekend as I did not have a spare. I've attached pics of the failed housing and an intact one.

Keith Averill had one replacement part left in inventory and I acquired it. I'd like to acquire at least one spare. Ideally more to replace existing. The housing is used on both the front bulkhead and rear trans case to mount the rocker arms' pivot point. It is called the spherical bearing housing.

Does anyone have a spare(s) for sale? That would be my easy solution.

OTOH, I've spoken to Richard Pare about manufacturing more of them and he is willing. If there are other Reynard owners who require this part, we could do a group buy with Richard as the per unit price cost drops if Richard is making more than a few.

Let me know, Thanks

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 186

Surely someone could spare a part for John.....

Contributing Member
    Liked: 332

There are some for sale on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REYNARD-FOR...G/333385825168

I'm not sure how that price compares.

You could also try:

https://www.heritagereynard.com/

They are in the process of making most items for Reynard FF1600/2000 cars.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4368

It is an incredibly simple part that could be made by tens of thousands of machine shops. I live in the sticks, and I could probably find 10 shops within a 20 minute drive, probably a run of 4 or 5 for a couple hundred dollars, or less.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    Retirement Sale NOW, Everything must go!

Contributing Member

Definitely, Greg! That's why I mentioned the eBay part price as it would be a straightforward machining job.

Contributing Member Gary Godula's Avatar
    Liked: 65

Default Reynard Bearing Mounts

John, I have a few spares, but they loosen up over time and the spherical bearing moves around in them. PM me with exactly what you need and I will check my inventory tonight. Thank you....
    Gary Godula
    '88 Reynard FF88
    SCCA Club Racing / Solo #57 FF/CM

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 224

John,

I've got 3 of them that I'll give you for the cost of shipping. But like Gary's they were spares because they're worn enough that the bearings will move in the housings if not regularly glued in place with Loctite.
    PM me if you want them.

Steve

Liked: 1941

If they are stretching out, best not to continue to use them - the material - probably 6061-T6 - has started to yield.

Best to make new ones from 7075. Yes, they will be more expensive, but they should last near forever.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 75

I appreciate all the advice, guidance and offers to help with this issue. I purchased spares from the seller on eBay.

I wasn't insightful enough to ask as to the type of aluminum used in their manufacture. Other than the complete failure, I haven't had the problem with bearings coming loose in the housing. I am certainly more diligent about inspecting the housings now.

John

Contributing Member

Looks like the eBay seller has quite a stock of these, as they have another 4 listed..!

Thread Information