Liked: 0

Fellas;

Any word yet?

Iverson

Liked: 4

There was a comment about this in the just-released April "Fastrack."

Before anybody gets their panties in a wad, it's only been tabled, it's not off the books. SO let's not have 5 pages of: how dare they, what are they thinking in Topeka etc etc. Let's work the problem and try to get it done for the 04 season.-Dave

[url="http://www.scca.org/news/tech/fastrack/03-04.pdf"]http://www.scca.org/news/tech/fastrack/03-04.pdf[/url]
    [b]FF[/b] 1. Allow Formula Ford flywheel weight
    to be reduced to 15.5 lbs. (Merriman,
    Ivey) Tabled for consideration of other
    alternatives to lightening flywheels.
    2. Allow a spec aftermarket head gasket
    and cutting of valve pockets in pistons
    to balance cc volume. (Ivey) Tabled
    for consideration.
    Mike Andersen
    U.S. F2000 Webmaster

Liked: 68

Item 2:
    I'm for the head gaskets, but cutting the valve pockets seems like rules creep. Is there a good reason to do this for longevity/reliabilty/cost savings?

Liked: 10

As I understand it, the CB is continuing to consider the flywheel weight issue. On head gaskets, a "Detroit/Dana" gasket was proposaed and there have been previous proposals to use the "Felpro" gasket - a lot of people use 'em anyway, let's face it!! Another formal proposal going in shortly. I don't know too much about the piston proposal but it has to do with some subtle aspect of how the CR calculation is made. More info to follow.
    Dale Carter
    2003 VanDiemen FE #29
    Life is Good

Liked: 33

I believe the valve pocket issue, was all about Jay trying to salvage more blocks (save us money). Many of the blocks have been decked too much to maintain correct the compression ratio.

Yes, that sounds right to me. Easier to machine the piston a bit than shorten stroke (which I think has to be done by offsetting the hole in the small end bushing).

The Comp. Board has decided that the lower flywheel weight, most likely 15.5 lbs., and the specific aftermarket flywheel submitted by Jay Ivey will be finalized before June and that it will definitely go into effect in January, '04. Although there were many favorable comments from competitors interested in making the change now, there were those who felt it was not possible to make what amounts to a mid-season change of this magnitude.
    As a member of the Formula Car Advisory Committee, I will continue to follow this item and others of interest to the FF1600 community. Feel free to post here or email me directly with any input or comments you might have.
    The CB clearly understands the issues affecting FF1600 and they continue to work on our behalf to address them in the most effective and timely manner possible.
    Dale Carter
    2003 VanDiemen FE #29
    Life is Good

DENIS

I'm a bit confused. Does this mean that the new min. weight will be 15.5 with the stock part or you may substitute the alternative part from Jay only? What if one were to contact 10,000rpm about building one for themselves?

Todd, the Proposal was either cut the OEM flywheel to 15.5 lbs. or use the new aftermarket flywheel. Jay sourced the part and provided a sample to the CB. But once the new units are being produced, multiple sources would have them for sale. Jay has no intention of sourcing a proprietary part and then "cornering" the market...to use a "racing" term!!!
    Dale Carter
    2003 VanDiemen FE #29
    Life is Good

Thread Information