Gents;

No affiliation here.

V/r

Iverson

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 553

Default 1971 McLaren M8EDF Can-Am race car

US $375,000.00

1971 McLaren M8ED raced in the Can-Am in 1972-1973 by Ed Felter. Known as The Blue Magic Car, as it was sponsored by Blue Magic metal polish. The car was badly wrecked in 1973, and restored in 1999. It is in great shape and ready for vintage racing or museum. It has excellent history and is sold with the original wrecked chassis. It is equipped with BB chevy, Lucas injection, MKII 4 speed, big BRD halfshafts, inboard brakes, Lockheed calipers, Koni aluminum adjustable shocks with correct McLaren springs. Many spares included, body work, wheels, air wrenches, nitrogen bottles, fuel injection and brake parts. contact 805 298-3152

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 1124

Great car regardless, but odd that they put M8F bodywork on it. Calling it a "M8" in the ad speaks to an owner not knowing much about the car, nor McLaren model variants.

I saw this car run in the day, at Road America and Brainerd, and the graphics were quite cool as originally liveried. The M8E/D was a M8E variation that used 1970-vintage M8D bodywork with the attached rear wing fences.

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 649

Quote Originally Posted by E1pix View Post
    Great car regardless, but odd that they put M8F bodywork on it. Calling it a "M8" in the ad speaks to an owner not knowing much about the car, nor McLaren model variants.

I saw this car run in the day, at Road America and Brainerd, and the graphics were quite cool as originally liveried. The M8E/D was a M8E variation that used 1970-vintage M8D bodywork with the attached rear wing fences.
    Fellas;

I too saw them in their heyday at both Donnybrooke and Road America. A sensual bonanza of the beautiful liveries, the smell of racing fuel, and the incredible sounds.

I was good friends with Michael Brayton, who raced the series in a McLaren. At one time, Michael was building silver soldiered brass radiators for one of my Lola’s, and he called about a mounting question. We visited for an hour or so, as I was a minor player on his team designing a better oil cooling fan and radiator assembly for the L-13 turbine on the UH-1H “Huey”. After we put that to bed, we started talking about BIR (I lived a scant 2.1 miles from the front gate). He reminisced of one event at Donnybrooke where a competitor asked where he lifted in T2. Michael replied, “I don’t”.

These Gents would race for food money.

Another thing about Donnybrooke, the LOL Region would pay tow money to get you to the track. Arrive Friday evening, set up, and off to the Waterfall or Bar Harbor and Granny’s Pub and consume to the point you hoped no one would step on you fingers when you here walking to the car. Get up at 0700, a few cans on V8, and race as though there was no tomorrow. Saturday night in the Scruitineer’s building, a couple kegs, fresh popcorn, pot luck hot dishes, racing movies, Road Runner cartoons and loads of bench racing. Off to the Waterfall, or Granny’s for a hair of the dog that bit you until zero dark thirty, then up at 0700 for a nice cold V8 or two, ready to go.

As Archie and Edith sang, “those were the days”.

V/r

Iverson

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Those certainly were The Days, Rick! The older I get, and the more distant the sheer freedom of speed becomes, the more I realize how lucky we were to witness it all. It was a helluva thing for me as a kid, oddly or not I can still name about three-quarters of the 1972 grids if told the car numbers. Way more fun than learning Biology.

While I admire what The Captain and Mark and George achieved, their success played a big part in destroying the series -- and I've never been much of a Porsche fan because of it.

What ever happened to the Thundersports idea where re-marqued M8Fs were being built as a revival concept? I feared it wouldn't take off though sure was hoping it could!

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 43

Default So many memories...

Donnybrooke/B.I.R. was amazing back in those days. The track opened with an SCCA national on August 10 & 11, 1968. In 1969, it had the Trans Am, F5000, and a USAC indy car race (won by Dan Gurney after a real brawl with Gordie Johncock). The Can Am arrived in 1970, Peter Gethin replacing Bruce. This was the last weekend in September, and we got snow for our regional race the very next week. They scheduled it mid September for '71 and '72.

The track was bankrupt in '73, so we didn't see the mighty 917-30. The series had a tendency to breed dominance, so I certainly don't blame Porsche (or Roger for that matter). During their 5 year reign, Bruce was asked what they would do if they got stomped. "We would leave", he replied. That's exactly how it went.

It had great atmosphere in those days. I remember the Saturday night beer bash in the paddock when the IMSA gang was in town (1977). Among those standing around enjoying the company were Al Holbert and Danny Ongais. Pretty cool!

Tom

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

I could have worded that better... there's no 'blame" for success, just sad it played a part in ending the greatest series I ever saw -- and that includes F1 over that same era.

Maybe I forget I was a Ferrari fan anyway, before and after.

The only Can-Am I ever saw there was in 1972, when Donohue went off at 1 at a reputed 200+. Had to be a scary way to return to the Series!

I loved it that Cevert won his only Big Banger race that day, particularly after what transpired at the Glen a year on...

Agree, Holbert and Ongais were very cool guys -- despite being complete opposites.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 99

Default Donnybrook Stories

The CanAm at BIR was fun to watch. Fast cars, fearless drivers, open trailers and less crew than today's top running Spec Miatas.

IMSA too; I remember showing up on Thursday as part of the Vintage Club support event and seeing a motorhome with three turbo Porsches parked in front. Who? I said. The crew said "the Whittington brothers. Wait until they arrive later this afternoon." Soon two clipped-wing air racing P51 Mustangs landed together on the main straight. Arrival indeed! This may have been the same weekend when the Momo Porsche whale-tail had Penthouse sponsorship. When you bought a t-shirt from the Penthouse Pet manning the sale table you got the one she was wearing and then stood there drooling while she found another one to wear. And then there was the driver (P.L. something) in the evil handling Datsun turbo V8 who stopped by the vintage group's Friday night campfire and keg.

Marty

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Nygard View Post
    When you bought a t-shirt from the Penthouse Pet manning the sale table you got the one she was wearing and then stood there drooling while she found another one to wear.
    Inspired by this, I launched BEST (Big Eric's Strip T's) and sales went really well.

I want to publicly thank my wife for buying the shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Nygard View Post
    And then there was the driver (P.L. something) in the evil handling Datsun turbo V8 who stopped by the vintage group's Friday night campfire and keg.
    First time I saw Paul was at the track re-boot when becoming BIR, the Uncola Nationals in 1974. He was bearded for the filming of Judge Roy Bean, in a worn shirt and shorts, and ragged-out tennies. Just a normal guy, as you said.

In 1976 I did a magazine about the '75 Runoffs, and got the greatest letter a kid could get from him; then in '79 was finally was introduced to him at Road Atlanta, he quoted the magazine's title and I had to replace my entire hat collection with bigger ones. Bastard.

An amazing guy that went out of his way to step down to our level. I really miss him.

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 43

Default Up and Over...

I just happened to be standing on the inside of turn 1 when Mark suffered a tire failure and went for a ride. One second, he and George were nose to tail, Donohue leading. A split second later, Mark was staring his team mate in the eye as his car swapped ends. He rode it up the banking and disappeared over the lip. It was a pretty gentle transition, and he was able to bring to a halt in the tulies without further incident.

My viewing pattern was to start the race inside of turn 10, and then walk against traffic all the way around the circuit, stopping at times, then moving on. This put me at the podium at just the right time. It was from there that I watched some drama in 1970. The Trans Am was attrition heavy, and at the end, Follmer was leading from Milt Minter in a year old Roy Woods Camaro. Well, George ran out of brakes, Milt picked up on it and , like any good racer, muscled his way by to win the race. When he approached the start finish to pick up the checker, George was waiting for him, and had to be held back by the officials as he tried to punch Milt through the window.

In the previously mentioned '72 Can Am, George's rotten luck repeated itself. This time he ran out of gas. Francois Cevert came through in a year old M8F to win the race. You had to feel bad for George...

19. The following 2 users liked this post:

Great memories, Thanks.

-- "Let George Do It" --

I still have my L&M stickers with ^ on them.

It all sure came good for him within a few weeks. If my brain still works -- doubtful as that is -- he won both the Can-Am and Trans-Am series by October, the only to ever win both series in the same year or otherwise.

My dad and I heard about Donohue's Turn 1 spin, and hauled the mail there from the last turn. I distinctly remember asking people at 1 whether they'd seen it, and one guy told us all about it. I was 12 but knew what was up and said something like "Wow, Donohue must have balls of steel to go back out after this, it's his first race back after breaking his leg at Road Atlanta!"

Wouldn't that be something if we talked with you.....?

Thought it was neat that Mark ran #6 again, while Follmer suddenly found himself in a second 917/10K with a rather-odd #7 on it, winning the title at Riverside I think, in "The 7" (Man, kinda makes me see funny when NASCAR fans term cars that way!).

Maybe not a First, but I can recall no other series champion to win a major title using two different car numbers. Adding up the numbers, maybe 13 isn't bad luck after all. :-)

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information