Liked: 22

Default Lotus FF Ign. Timing help

Howdy folks, I would appreciate a little help here on what has turned into a real head scratcher. I do not seem to have a way to see the timing mark on the fly wheel for timing the dist. Most FF seem to have a nice slot opening on the top of the adapter plate that lets you see the flywheel and use a timing light. In my case the original adapter plate simply displays LOTUS.
    The front timing chain cover is a race model with the oil pump built in (running of the fr of the cam) so there is no timing marks there like a stock Kent engine would have.
    So.. Does anybody have any experience using a timing light with a closed off adapter like the lotus?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 160

Most Lotus 51/61 owners drill a hole in the adapter ring and mark the flywheel.

Cheers, Joe

Contributing Member
    Liked: 238

That's how mine was done also.

Liked: 22

Thank you for the help (and PICS!!) . Looks like I will just drill a hole. I was a little nervous about modifying such an old original part, but it make sense. The center line off the Hewland makes for a good line up to center off. Thanks again! See you at the track.-BGG

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information